Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted drawers for the back of my truck for years. At my previous job I installed a DECKED drawer system In my bosses F-150. I thought it was a great idea and wanted to buy some for my Tundra. When I got online and looked, They were all well into the four digit price range and they don’t make anything for 1st Gen Tundras anyway. So I started getting Ideas and watching YouTube videos. I got a $25 gift card to Lowe's and that kick started my adventure. With out going into extreme detail, I'll explain how I built them and how everything works.

I made them 4' wide. Fits between the wheel wells and its the standard width of plywood so it only made sense. I used 1" 14AWG steel square tube as the drawer tracks. I fitted the drawers with stoppers in both directions, the square tube, and the latches I fabbed up. the inside of the drawers are 5'10' in length and I believe 20" wide. Drawers are made of Plywood, the face of the drawers are 3/4 MDF wrapped in carpet. The entire top of the set up is also covered in the same black outdoor carpet as the drawer faces. I used skateboard bearings as the drawer rollers. I got a 100 pack of them on Amazon for like $23. I used 64 of them total. 5/16 or 8mm bolts will work. I used 5/16-18 because they're more widely available. At the front of the drawer (where all of the weight will rest when the drawer is in it's full open position) I used grade 8 bolts. All 64 have lock washers to keep them from vibrating loose. There’s still a few pieces of Aluminum trim I’ve yet to cut and fit, and I’m going to paint the inside of the drawers white. Also, the reason the right drawer face is wider than the left, I’m also going to build another side drawer that actually slides in outside the drawer system for small things like gloves and bolts and things like that.

I am interested in seeing peoples reaction to this, as I wouldn't mind building another set (more meticulously) and sell it. Obviously it would be hard to manage across the country because it's such a large heavy item, but things could be arranged and we have no other options for our trucks sadly. If anyone has any interest in something like this, I would definitely build another. You can comment on the thread or PM me with questions, I’ll answer all that I can.

Anyway, here's a lot of pictures:
IMG_1381.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've wanted drawers for the back of my truck for years. At my previous job I installed a DECKED drawer system In my bosses F-150. I thought it was a great idea and wanted to buy some for my Tundra. When I got online and looked, They were all well into the four digit price range and they don’t make anything for 1st Gen Tundras anyway. So I started getting Ideas and watching YouTube videos. I got a $25 gift card to Lowe's and that kick started my adventure. With out going into extreme detail, I'll explain how I built them and how everything works.

I made them 4' wide. Fits between the wheel wells and its the standard width of plywood so it only made sense. I used 1" 14AWG steel square tube as the drawer tracks. I fitted the drawers with stoppers in both directions, the square tube, and the latches I fabbed up. the inside of the drawers are 5'10' in length and I believe 20" wide. Drawers are made of Plywood, the face of the drawers are 3/4 MDF wrapped in carpet. The entire top of the set up is also covered in the same black outdoor carpet as the drawer faces. I used skateboard bearings as the drawer rollers. I got a 100 pack of them on Amazon for like $23. I used 64 of them total. 5/16 or 8mm bolts will work. I used 5/16-18 because they're more widely available. At the front of the drawer (where all of the weight will rest when the drawer is in it's full open position) I used grade 8 bolts. All 64 have lock washers to keep them from vibrating loose. There’s still a few pieces of Aluminum trim I’ve yet to cut and fit, and I’m going to paint the inside of the drawers white. Also, the reason the right drawer face is wider than the left, I’m also going to build another side drawer that actually slides in outside the drawer system for small things like gloves and bolts and things like that.

I am interested in seeing peoples reaction to this, as I wouldn't mind building another set (more meticulously) and sell it. Obviously it would be hard to manage across the country because it's such a large heavy item, but things could be arranged and we have no other options for our trucks sadly. If anyone has any interest in something like this, I would definitely build another. You can comment on the thread or PM me with questions, I’ll answer all that I can.

Anyway, here's a lot of pictures:
View attachment 117865

Yes I am very interested in this. Would be a great set up for a capped truck bed. Let me know your location as will be in the market soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. How did you attach the angle iron on the bedside? Also how did you attach the angle iron for the drawer slides? Wondering why you left a big gap in the centre? It looks great , by the way

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello. How did you attach the angle iron on the bedside? Also how did you attach the angle iron for the drawer slides? Wondering why you left a big gap in the centre? It looks great , by the way

The angle iron for the bedside I used was actually from a (sleeping) bed frame. It attaches underneath the tiedown hooks front and rear on one bolt each. I added washers to the other bolt on each to make up the difference in material thickness and got longer bolts. They were 8mm. 1.25 pitch I think but don’t quote me on that. There is no angle iron for the drawer slides. Its 14 gauge 1” square tube. I drilled holes through the square tube at certain distances (I don’t remember exact specs at this point in time) clamped them to the drawer sides and drilled the holes through the drawer sides. Then on the outside of the square tube I widened the holes out with my largest uni-bit (3/4”) to fit the socket in it. The bolts went through the drawers sides then into the square tube where the nuts are hidden inside.

As for the big gap in the center, I’m confused. What do you mean? There’s a vertical 2x10 right down the center of the whole thing with bearings on each side. Is that what you’re talking about? If so, that gap is only there due to the thickness of the 2x10.

If you’re talking about something else, let me know and I’ll try to answer for you

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh, ok. Either I am blind or it's hard to see the 2x10 down the middle. Thx

It’s really hard to see because of the shadow, but in this photo you can almost see it. You can see the threaded rod and two washers. That’s where the drawers latch to. You can also see the two pieces of plywood on either side. Those are the drawer stops. The 2x10 is right down the middle, just really hard to see

IMG_1403.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Her ya go. Found an older photo before it was carpeted, that’s why you can’t see the 2x10.

IMG_1282.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts