Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not notice it until a little while ago, but someone has hit my truck in the Wal-Mart parking lot today. I know it had to have been there, because that was the ONLY place I drove the truck to today and the last time I drove it, I had washed and waxed it and I would have surely noticed it then, as it is very noticable. Too bad it could not have been on the side that already had a small dent on the LR side. I did not have my alarm set, because the battery in the remote is dead.... I have the VIP factory Toyota system and I am not even sure if it (alarm) would have went off anyway. :confused:

It dented in the trim around the wheelwell, which is not the big deal, but it put a crease in the actual bed above it. :mad:

We called Wal-Mart and they said we had to have a police report in order to view the camera and I am assuming that the police has to do so.

I have full-coverage, but its probably not worth it, as the deductible will probably cost more than for me to have it fixed myself.

I think what makes me the most angry is that someone hits your car and then does not fess up to it. They run! :mad:

Oh well, I guess its just another of more dents to come. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I just had to vent a little.

Here you can see what I am talking about... its not bad, but bad enough for me to have noticed.....

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
Damn that sucks I hate people like that they should be beat upside the head thats why I try to park where nobody else will park(egypt).the other day I went to Target went to get my usual spot farthest from the store too my surpise there were two more double cab tundras out in Egypt also told the wife see I not the only one who does that.

·
Registered
459 Posts
That happened to me to...but much worse. I parked at the beach for an evening of fun. I got back to my truck around midnight and the whole driver side door was pushed in. If they would have gone about 1 inch farther back it would have ripped off the suicide door. I filed a police report to no avail. I did not go through my insurance becasue my deductable is $1000 and the cost of the repair was $1150, for the extra $150 it was worth it to not go through the insurance. I feel for you :(.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know if it's the same in every state, but if it's a hit a run, then you don't have to pay a deductable. This happened to me, so I was fortunate that no-one owned up to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't see what good it would do but most Wal-Marts around here have cameras covering the parking lot. You could call them and see what they say about it at least.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I used to park my 69 Mustang close to where the weeds grow, one day I saw some young punk driving mommy's BMW like a madman, he was about 4 feet from my car going about 50 mph.

My buddy and I stopped the guy, my friend says "You shouldn't act so stupid, you could get hurt"

The guy had his arm hanging out of the window and says "How, I'm in a safe car"

My buddy kicked his arm, pinning it between the car and his foot, and said "Like this"

I said "Your car could get damaged too" and as I walked toward his car he took off.

On another occassion a guy driving a 70 Charger parked beside me. When we came out his front fender had a dent.

No place is safe.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sorry, bro. It looks like it's just the over-fender damaged, is that right?
If so, don't even go through insurance.
I suggest placing a want in the classifieds, maybe someone has an old one laying around and will let it go for cheap or free.
You wanna see some damage? Check out my gallery.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that info.... I will look into that.

I don't know if it's the same in every state, but if it's a hit a run, then you don't have to pay a deductable. This happened to me, so I was fortunate that no-one owned up to it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:eek:

Sounds like he was a little idiot showing off in his parents car. Some people have no respect. Bad news about the Charger..... I bet he was cross. At the cruise, I have seen people not respecting other cars like they should, but for the most part, they do. There is this one guy that I see often though that always walks around and looks at cars and criticizes about everyone he sees. There have been times I have seen him with his foot resting up on the bumper, or kicking peoples tires. You can tell he is one of those "know it all" jerks. I dare him to do that to my car.

We go to the local cruise-ins for old cars, one especially is big. Dad takes his 69' Camaro and he is always paranoid that someone will dent his car.

I usually take the 69' Caprice or 73' Grand Ville, unless I drive grandpa in his 55' Cadillac. It takes quite a bit of force to dent any of those three I just mentioned however. ;) In fact, my dad made a overly sharp turn when backing and snagged the bumper of his 88' Nissan truck on the back bumper of my 69' Caprice. It pulled out his front bumper, broke the signal light, parking light and mashed in the fender.... the Caprice? NOT A SCRATCH! :D He was crushed.

My buddy kicked his arms, pinning it between the car and his foot, and said "Like this"

On another occassion a guy driving a 70 Charger parked beside me. When we came out his front fender had a dent.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish it was only the trim. If that was only thing damaged, I would not be nearly as angry. No, it got up into the metal too (bed) just above that trim. Its about a 2 inch crease.... you cannot make it out in the photos, but its there. :(

I just hope it damaged their car more than mine. I hope it ripped off their front bumper. I am sorry I feel that way, but......

Sorry, bro. It looks like it's just the over-fender damaged, is that right.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big Al..... believe me.... from here on in, I will start parking at the very end.... better yet, I will drive my battleship (69' Caprice or 73' Grand Ville) down there. :cool: Let em' hit one of those... I know they (the person doing the hitting) will get some damage then. :devil:

Fing..... We called Wal-mart and spoke to the manager. There are cameras all over the place down there. She said I would have to call the police down there and have them fill out a report before they could even watch the cameras. :rolleyes: She said they could likely definitely see what happened and could probably zoom right down on the license plate numbers, but I am wondering if its worth the trouble. There is a 1% chance it happened the last time I was down there. If that was the case, I would feel like an idiot. Make no mistake, I know it happened in that parking lot though, because the time before this I had also driven it down there. I only drive this truck on my days off and I normally have to go there on my days off to pick up some items, whether for my household or grandpa (next door).

I think I have learned my mistake never to park in the middle of that lot again. The imbeciles. :rolleyes:

I don't see what good it would do but most Wal-Marts around here have cameras covering the parking lot. You could call them and see what they say about it at least.

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
It looks like the RR Wheel Opening Molding on an A/C. It's part number 75087-0c010 at Toyota OEM Parts. Just paste it into their "Search by OEM Part Number" box. It currently runs $97.85 plus shipping. My local dealer wants $120.00 plus tax. I couldn't find one on ebay, or at the local auto recycling yard. Take Cali D's excellent suggestion: use the TS classifieds, be patient, and you'll get a good deal. These prices might even help you negotiate. Someday I'll do the same repair.

Priorities. :(

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats it! Looks like yours is buggered up as well. :(

I forgot to mention that my mothers cousin owns a body repair shop and he may be able to do the repair fairly cheap for me. I am wondering how difficult that dent will be to remove in the bed.... :confused:

It looks like the RR Wheel Opening Molding on an A/C. It's part number 75087-0c010 at Toyota OEM Parts. Just paste it into their "Search by OEM Part Number" box. It currently runs $97.85 plus shipping. My local dealer wants $120.00 plus tax. I couldn't find one on ebay, or at the local auto recycling yard. Take Cali D's excellent suggestion: use the TS classifieds, be patient, and you'll get a good deal. These prices might even help you negotiate. Someday I'll do the same repair.

Priorities. :(

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Thats it! Looks like yours is buggered up as well. :(

I forgot to mention that my mothers cousin owns a body repair shop and he may be able to do the repair fairly cheap for me. I am wondering how difficult that dent will be to remove in the bed.... :confused:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I too have been the victim of hit and run morons. I have two dents in my rear bumper which had to be a significant impact. Someday I'll replace the rear bumper with something heavy duty so I can get even next time. I started parking on the fringes and diagonally across two spaces to discourage anyone pulling alongside parallel.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I always park at the fringe of the lot like you guys do. I've been doing that for many, many years with no problems. But, I NEVER park in two spaces. I know for a fact there are a$$ holes out there that will do stuff to your vehicle when they see it parked across two spaces. These jerks usually drive a piece of crap and probably always will. They do that because they know you have parked it that way so nothing will happen to it and that you will be unhappy when something does happen to it. I don't understand their thinking but trust me, they are out there. I actually heard a guy telling some friends that one time when he saw someone parked like that he parked his car as close to the guys drivers door as possible so the guy would have to get in his car from the passenger side. He thought it was real funny. Go figure. I've also heard stories from the guys who parked across two spaces as far from the store as they could get and when they came out to their car, someone was parked right up against them. Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I always park at the fringe of the lot like you guys do. I've been doing that for many, many years with no problems. But, I NEVER park in two spaces. I know for a fact there are a$$ holes out there that will do stuff to your vehicle when they see it parked across two spaces. These jerks usually drive a piece of crap and probably always will. They do that because they know you have parked it that way so nothing will happen to it and that you will be unhappy when something does happen to it. I don't understand their thinking but trust me, they are out there. I actually heard a guy telling some friends that one time when he saw someone parked like that he parked his car as close to the guys drivers door as possible so the guy would have to get in his car from the passenger side. He thought it was real funny. Go figure. I've also heard stories from the guys who parked across two spaces as far from the store as they could get and when they came out to their car, someone was parked right up against them. Just something to think about.

I saw that once, nice 60s car with fantastic paint parked in the middle of nowhere, and some POS parked right beside him.

The POS got his headlights kicked in for his trouble. lol

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Fing..... We called Wal-mart and spoke to the manager. There are cameras all over the place down there. She said I would have to call the police down there and have them fill out a report before they could even watch the cameras.
You do not have to get a police report to view the security camera! That's a bunch of crap - don't let them feed you that line. You CAN threaten to get the cops involved if they don't let you view the camera! A wal-fart parking lot is private property, so technically the police need not be in the picture.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think maybe the reason Wal-mart might require police involvement (or a police report, just to PROVE police involvement) is so they don't end up liable for releasing the identifying information of the wrongdoer to anyone but the authorities. If they show the tape to the "victim", he finds out who it is and takes some kind of action against that person - physical confrontation, etc. - that person would probably be coming after Wal-mart with a nice, fat lawsuit. That's probably why they have the policy.

But anyway, I don't know if Wal-mart's security cameras have the capability to zoom in on a specific license plate AFTER the tape is already recorded. They might be able to zoom the entire tape, but it'd have to be a pretty high tech camera system to zoom in to specific portions of the tape after it's already been recorded.

I would never park in two spaces unless you're parked FAR away from the story where no one can complain about the loss of the extra space. Otherwise that's just asking for trouble.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts