Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think a good testimonial to the safety features of the gen 2 tundras. i was driving home from work yesterday a little spaced out from a long day. i live in eastern NC so the roads are rural and winding. traveling at about 50mph in a 45mph zone i came around a corner to see an SUV stopped in my lane. i had to give a double take because there were no break lights, the car was just sitting there apparently waiting to take a right turn into a driveway. I had no choice but to lock them up. i immediately felt the abs kick in as I swerved to the right off the shoulder to miss the suv(crisis 1 adverted). the road is a 2 lane open ditch road with no shoulder so the truck was half in the drainage swale and half out of it. Now the fun part. my next obstacle is a man checking his mail and this truck parked at the end of his driveway. i'm heading straight for both. in the space of the width of the driveway i swerve to the left as the man leaps out of the way and i miss the truck (im on grass and dirt now and the truck never loses traction doing 40-45 mph). crisis 2 avoided. i look ahead to see a series of mailboxes directly in front of me. at this point i say 'oh well - got to give it all she got' i yank the wheel as far left as possible and miss the mailboxes as i enter the road again...i straighten out immediately without a slide and look down to see i'm still going 40mph. so i speed up to the speed limit and go home. holy crap. at no point did i ever lose control, traction, or confidence. on the pavement, in a drainage swale, on a dirt driveway...never, where i pointed the truck it went without a complaint. this is my second tundra and hard pressed to not get a third and fourth when the time comes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its amazing how fast your mind races when life and death is on the line. if i hit the guy checking his mail he would have exploded where he stood. i just sold my camry for the tundra a few months ago. the camry wouldnt have made it.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Good Job! One of the main reasons that I own a Tundra is I feel extremely safe when driving it. Your story confirmed that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont remember any beeps just the feel. i drive by that place everyday many times. i still cant beleive i fit through the space that was available. i showed my wife today and she said no way must have been another place.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The Tundra is definately a great truck, and all of the nannies that we sometimes complain about really do work when needed. I am gladly giving up some fuel economy for the safety, comfort, and versatility of my truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That the driver was driving only 5 mph over the limit was certainly not the issue.

That he was driving over the limit on a road that he drove often enough to know its dangers (i.e. driveways) while 'spaced out' is the issue.

I love to drive fast, but always within the limits of the road, the vehicle, and my skills. To do otherwise is reckless.

·
Registered
47 Posts
He admitted to being the one driving while in the best of conditions, so put that aside. You guys are ridiculous. If all you can do is pick 'holes' in someone's story after he already said his faults, you should really look for another forum. Perhaps one of the housewives forums; they are great at talking crap about people. He was making a point to say how great the truck was, end of story.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Great story, great truck. Nannies on the truck, ninnies on the net. We got the speed police, road condition police, and the overload(HD,3/4 ton Police) on board, a bunch of perfect people. Anyway, nice story great save!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol. thanks. i really dont care about the negative comments. ive been driving for 30 years and been in one fender bender in a parking lot. a dash cam would have been epic! there were a series of unusual events that led to it. didnt explain them all. just glad everyone and everything was unharmed. (did chuckle at the 'holes in the story' comment though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nannies, ninnies, police, gimme a break. My comment questions the validity of some of the story. The fanboy comments however aren't unexpected. Reads like a car salesman's dream.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice job. Sounds like your driving skills saved you and others that day. Any damage to your Tundra from being in the ditch ?.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, these Tundra's are great. I have a similar story although mine was at a higher rate of speed with an outcome just like yours. I was heading out for a fishing trip to someplace I had never been before. I was going 120km/h with the cruise on, windows down, radio up. Heading down a secondary highway with my trusty 12 ft. aluminum boat for a weekend of pike slaying when I almost made a fatal error. The map I had drawn had blown off the passenger seat into the passenger door so I figured I could reach over and grab it. WRONG. I leaned over and reached what felt like 25 feet and when I had finally got my paws on the map I looked up and my heart sank as I was halfway off the road heading into the ditch on a steep grade. I panicked and immediately swerved back onto the road, I must have over did it, the truck tire hit the lip where the asphalt meets the dirt and I could begin to feel the ass end beginning to slide out, tires started chirping, before I knew it I was sideways going too fast to recover. Suddenly when I felt the truck was about to roll over, I heard the beeps from the over invasive trac control I have cursed so many times, the truck had sensed my plight and began to slow down rapidly, cruise control disengaged by itself, I didn't even have time to hit the brakes before this happened and before I knew it, I had slowed down enough to regain control easily without an incident. Thank you Toyota. I'm not sure if the boat trailer helped to keep me straight but I do know that without that trac control things would have been much worse. Thankfully no one was around to see this, boy was my face red.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts