Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had this problem for a while, but its just starting to get on my nerves.
When ever I let off of the accelerator or go over bumps there's an incredibly loud clicking that sounds like it comes from the front end.
Does anyone have any idea of what this might be?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i'm having the same "sound" from inside the truck it sounds like it's the front. only on acceleration and over a bump. i had my wife stand on the tailgate and make that truck bounce and i have narrowed it to the right rear shock making a loud clunk. gonna put new HD's on if shockwarehouse.com will ship my stuff! it's been almost 2 weeks now......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i doesnt sound like its a shock related problem, but i could be wrong.
Does anyone else have any idea?

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
Ive had this problem for a while, but its just starting to get on my nerves.
When ever I let off of the accelerator or go over bumps there's an incredibly loud clicking that sounds like it comes from the front end.
Does anyone have any idea of what this might be?
Is it one big click sound or a continuous clicking sound?

Does it happen on the rebound of a large speed bump?

Happen after a skinny pedal flogging then foot off the pedal?

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Do you have 2WD or 4WD?

If it is a 4WD, the problem could be with the CV joints in the font axles.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'd bet shock(s) but it could be almost anything.
I'd venture a look since if it something more serious you might not be around to tell us what it was when it goes.........

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm going to say if it is not the shocks it could be the ball joints...Both my lowers are blown out from offroading and they clunk and click over bumps and when I fully turn the steering wheel. I just ordered a new set and I'm installing them as soon as they arrive so we will see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it one big click sound or a continuous clicking sound?

Does it happen on the rebound of a large speed bump?

Happen after a skinny pedal flogging then foot off the pedal?

all three of those are correct. except sometimes its more than one but not continuous.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree with Salty_Dog. It would help to know more about your truck. Access Cab or Double Cab? I had a sound just like you describe. It began in October after our first frost and I assumed that it had something to do with temperature. At first it would only do it one time each morning but as time passed, it happened with some regularity whenever I turned right into any driveway with even the slightest dip. From the driver's seat, I was convinced that it was in the right front suspension but I found nothing. It was a new truck after all. When I took the truck in for scheduled service, I told them about the sound coming from the right front. I even went as far as to suggested that it sounded like a ball joint. I was promptly told that I would be getting a recall notice from Toyota on the upper ball joints soon but if I had time they had the parts in stock and could do it now. Well, I guess it wasn't the ball joints. After several more months of aggravation, I took a ride in the back seat and it didn't take long to find that the sound was at the bottom of the right rear door. A dab of silicone grease on the rear door latches cured the problem and it has never returned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with Salty_Dog. It would help to know more about your truck. Access Cab or Double Cab? I had a sound just like you describe. It began in October after our first frost and I assumed that it had something to do with temperature. At first it would only do it one time each morning but as time passed, it happened with some regularity whenever I turned right into any driveway with even the slightest dip. From the driver's seat, I was convinced that it was in the right front suspension but I found nothing. It was a new truck after all. When I took the truck in for scheduled service, I told them about the sound coming from the right front. I even went as far as to suggested that it sounded like a ball joint. I was promptly told that I would be getting a recall notice from Toyota on the upper ball joints soon but if I had time they had the parts in stock and could do it now. Well, I guess it wasn't the ball joints. After several more months of aggravation, I took a ride in the back seat and it didn't take long to find that the sound was at the bottom of the right rear door. A dab of silicone grease on the rear door latches cured the problem and it has never returned.

Its an 05 double cab. The upper ball joints were replaced. And i live in Southern California. I dont think its my door, but ill check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think i might have located the sound by laying under the truck and having a friend bounce on the bed. I dont know what the part is called but its directly in between the two cats.
Pictures soon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Eureka! You found it. I should have checked for a service bulletin but you need to lube the door latches anyway.

Toyota Technical Service Bulletin T-SB-0067-09
Some customers of 2WD 2005 – 2007 model year Sequoia and 2005 – 2006 model year Tundra
vehicles may complain about a clunk, thunk, or pop noise from the vehicle that is commonly heard
when stopping, accelerating from a stop, or turning at low speeds. The source of the noise has
been identified as the joint between the rear transmission mount and the frame crossmember.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-sequoia/159203-new-solution-to-the-clunking-problem/

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the crossmember part numbers are the same, do I still need to change it ?

I'm thinking it would be OK to use the old one if the bolt holes are good.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If the crossmember part numbers are the same, do I still need to change it ?

I'm thinking it would be OK to use the old one if the bolt holes are good.
Can you elaborate? If I were you, I'd first inspect that all the bolts in that mount are there and/or tight. This was the source of my clunk and turns out the two bolts that go in through the bottom of that crossmember were completely gone and two were loose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you elaborate? If I were you, I'd first inspect that all the bolts in that mount are there and/or tight. This was the source of my clunk and turns out the two bolts that go in through the bottom of that crossmember were completely gone and two were loose.
T-SB-0067-09 says to replace the crossmember along with the mount and four bolts. If the crossmember looks OK, why replace it with an identical one. Seems like a waste of $160...

·
Registered
447 Posts
T-SB-0067-09 says to replace the crossmember along with the mount and four bolts. If the crossmember looks OK, why replace it with an identical one. Seems like a waste of $160...
Just check the bolts and replace if necessary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts