Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was underneath the truck because ever since I had the lower ball joint recall done a couple of weeks ago, I hear a clanking sound if I go over bumps in the road from the front end.

While doing the inpection, I noticed a ring of oil underneath the truck (like something is flinging oil). Location is exactly where the output of the transmission meets the driveshaft. There is no oil on the parts of the transmission or the driveshaft assy. The oil on the bottom of the truck looks like motor oil (same consistency - a little darker maybe because it's dirty). It's definitely not transmission fluid. Am I seeing this because the service department lubricated the driveshaft while they did my oil change (lube?)?

While it was in for the ball joint recall, I had the rear differential oil changed and brake fluid flushed, if that helps.

Ideas?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys/girls....This post has been here for more than a couple of hours. Usually, there are 25 answers to a question by now (and a few opinions, attempts to hijack thread, troll trolling, tempers flaring, etc).

:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
You forgot the ever-present "try the search function!"

BTW: I don't have any answers or ideas on this one. Sorry I couldn't do more than give you a bump.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is there any oil pooling on your skidplate by chance? Maybe some motor oil or brake fluid was dropped.....maybe?? How much oil is it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
You might want to check to see if the mechanic left any thing down there. I had a mechanic work on my truck and for the longest time I could not figure out why my engine was making a rattling noise. Then I found the eye protection glasses resting on the side of the engine. I really did not see them because they were clear. It is possible that the mechanic left a tool, or a tube of grease or oil somewhere under your truck.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It is possible that it's just some leftover grease/oil residue.
If it's not dripping don't worry about it.
But the clanking sound, does the ride feel rough?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It is very easy to overfill a zerk fitting and after doing it for 12 years i had it perfected after the first week because my dad was paying for the lube and he said once ya see it popping from rubber collar inside joint thats good!! and to always wipe up your mess!! The real test is to not over lube the rear fitting just in front of the rear diff!! Good luck but it can be done with practise!! Oh by the way as much work as you had done to fluids i would wipem 2 times checkem 4 times ie brake bleeders,fill plugs, drain plugs,get a mag light and crawl under and look for exposed puddles or just park it on some cardboard! but if your mess is on the undercarriage in one spot you need to take to carwash and get some brake cleaner and high psi wash action going on cause it will do nothing but attract DIRT!! NOT GOOD!! If it's brake fluid i would be very conserned!! any fluid at all is not good also!! Take it back and let them fix it, they probably caused it but check hard to make sure it's just not residual which it sounds like!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Come on guys/girls....This post has been here for more than a couple of hours. Usually, there are 25 answers to a question by now (and a few opinions, attempts to hijack thread, troll trolling, tempers flaring, etc).

OK guys it's been 4 days and we are in suspence to the max?? was that jiffylube ya took it to before the problem?? Mystery solved?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Is this a 4wd or 2wd?

If 4wd, chances are it's just some of the gear oil that got flung outof the transfer case, which uses gear oil. If 2wd then it's just some tranny fluid that got flung out, which looks like motor oil due to all the dust and dirt getting thrown at it. The "slip yoke" does exactly that, allows the yoke to move in and out of the output shaft of the tranny due to suspension articulation so if you do over a good sized bump the yoke will get pushed in, gather some oil, then gets pulled out which'll fling some oil around. Could be an indication the output shaft seal is starting to get a little wear on it but nothing that i'd rush to replace. That's my guess without seeing it in person.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts

That's because you're posting in General, where everyone knows everything :devil:.

ICON beat me to it...dunno how the 2WD works tho, I didn't think there was a slip joint at the tranny output, thought it was on the rear driveshaft but I could be wrong...I have 4x4. Also check your tranny fluid...what color is it? Mine is red...even dirty it's still different in color and consistency with 75W90 gear oil.

If you don't get anything here, post your question in the Engine and Drivetrain forum.

-Sean

·
Registered
564 Posts
Crap, that's right, i didn't rememeber that the slip point is in the drive shaft itself. i still think it's just a little tranny/gear oil that leaked a little and got flung around. Best thing to do is clean it off and see if it comes back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts