Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I never driven manual transmission or had this type of S Mode shifting.

Please someone gimme a 101 on how to work it and what is the advantage of driving in S Mode.

All i know is when shifting to S Mode it goes straight to "4". What does that mean. and the higher the better?

Also lets say im first at a red light and want to haul *** once it turns green what do i do? Keep in mind switching to S Mode in that scenario is at "4"

I appreciate your help thanks.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
thanks man...

but will it have how to haul as* methodology using S Mode?

Once you master "S" mode, you should be able to smoke the tires through 3rd gear.:eek:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Shifting into "S" mode doesn't mean that you will always got to 4th gear, it depends upon how fast you are going when you shift into "s"mode. If you are going 75mph and go into "s" mode you will go directly to 5th or 6th gear.
I use "s"mode most of the time, but I do most of my traveling on the ranch or 1-2 lane roads, some paved some not. I use it for down shifting and or holding a gear going up steep hills. "s"mode saves me from having to use my brakes as much.I haven't got above 30mph in a week.I don't know about stop lights, I have to drive 75 miles to find one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so is it safe to say i can accelerate faster if i keep it in lower gears while flooring it...

better yet example:

stop light... shift to S Mode it goes to 4.
downshift to 1
green light
floor it
while flooring shift up to 2
then to 3

or am I going about this all wrong?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
so is it safe to say i can accelerate faster if i keep it in lower gears while flooring it...

better yet example:

stop light... shift to S Mode it goes to 4.
downshift to 1
green light
floor it
while flooring shift up to 2
then to 3

or am I going about this all wrong?
Yup, you got the idea, just watch your shift timing, there is a hesitation from when you slap it to when it goes into gear. Much slower than what can be accomplished with a manual trans. I have pegged the redline and rev limiter a few times.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
I think letting the ECU shift itself is actually the fastest way to run, although I haven't gone balls to the wall through 3 gears yet (still breaking her in). I don't think you're going to buy much time shifting 100 rpm after the computer does (if it doesn't already shift right at redline), given you can accurately hit that mark while being pinned in your seat and driving the car at the same time. Its not a true sport shift mode in the sense that it will up-shift whenever you bump the shifter into the next gear independent of the throttle position like most cars do. It still depends on what throttle you are at before it shifts (ie. if you have it floored in, say, 1 and bump the shifter to 2 without letting up, it will stay in first until the ECU shifts at around redline) -- so ultimately, the ECU is still in control of the shift point here (that is unless you don't upshift then you'll just peg the rev limiter and lose time). Better to just leave the shifter in 3, let the computer do all the shifting until you have enough control over the rpm to possibly delay the shift in about 3rd or 4th gear.

Also, I read somewhere that the tow/haul mode will make the computer hold gears longer before shifting and even opens the electronic throttle body butterfly a couple more degrees (not sure where I heard that, but I did, anybody else heard that?:confused: ) So maybe try pushing the tow/haul mode as well when blasting off the line...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
All the S mode does is set the highest available gear. If you leave it on 4, come to a stop, itll downshift back to one, and accelerate like normal until 4th gear and then itll just stay in 4th instead of shifting on to 5, 6. Kinda a mixed bag IMO, as itd be fun to bark 2 or 3, but I just burn through 1 and have to let off to get any traction or before I blow the tranny. Ill just have to get more used to the truck.

I think itd come in handy at the track, if for examply your auto was shifting shortly before the 1/4 mile mark. You could set it in 3 to keep it from bumping that extra shift and probly pick up a little time.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think itd come in handy at the track, if for examply your auto was shifting shortly before the 1/4 mile mark. You could set it in 3 to keep it from bumping that extra shift and probly pick up a little time.
I think the computer has too much control over the tranny for anything sporty. I tried to do a couple speed shifts in my truck and it just sorta lumbered through the shift when it wanted too. There seems to be no real performance benefit from it.

I hope someone comes out with a program to actually make the S section a real manual mode that selects the gear you chose and do it then. I think it would be helpful to keep my truck in a higher gear when towing and not let it down shift as easily. This thing is VERY quick to down shift.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think the computer has too much control over the tranny for anything sporty. I tried to do a couple speed shifts in my truck and it just sorta lumbered through the shift when it wanted too. There seems to be no real performance benefit from it.

I hope someone comes out with a program to actually make the S section a real manual mode that selects the gear you chose and do it then. I think it would be helpful to keep my truck in a higher gear when towing and not let it down shift as easily. This thing is VERY quick to down shift.
I agree, its not as sporty as I hoped it would be. Its more a overdrive eliminator than anything. And as you said, the truck is fast to downshift anyway, so other than a planned race, I dont really see the benefit.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Also, I read somewhere that the tow/haul mode will make the computer hold gears longer before shifting and even opens the electronic throttle body butterfly a couple more degrees (not sure where I heard that, but I did, anybody else heard that?:confused: ) So maybe try pushing the tow/haul mode as well when blasting off the line...[/quote]

It does hold gears longer before shifting but i want to know.....

Does tow haul in fact open the throttle body butterfly more?

Anybody?

Where did you hear that? I gotta know more

·
Registered
251 Posts
Also, I read somewhere that the tow/haul mode will make the computer hold gears longer before shifting and even opens the electronic throttle body butterfly a couple more degrees (not sure where I heard that, but I did, anybody else heard that?:confused: ) So maybe try pushing the tow/haul mode as well when blasting off the line...
Check out this

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don't understand that chart.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
It does hold gears longer before shifting but i want to know.....

Does tow haul in fact open the throttle body butterfly more?

Anybody?

Where did you hear that? I gotta know more
I just tried googling for a half an hour and couldn't find the article where I read that. I'm not even 100% sure that it applies to the Tundra. I just remember reading that, and being excited.

Maybe I should retract my previous statement and say that tow/haul mode ONLY changes the shift logic...:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts