1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You know, the only thing I can think of is this... at 94 mph in your Prius, are you REALLY saving the earth? What kind of gas mileage do you get at 94 mph a Prius?

And on the note of the article, waste of money to have NASA get involved.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Might as well give the NASA SCIENTISTS something to do, their budget on everything else has been cut. They have to watch reruns of astronauts walking on the moon.

So now NASA can prove if A TOYOTA is as good as a SPACE SHUTTLE since those parts go to the lowest bidder as well.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You know, the only thing I can think of is this... at 94 mph in your Prius, are you REALLY saving the earth? What kind of gas mileage do you get at 94 mph a Prius?

And on the note of the article, waste of money to have NASA get involved.

-rockstate
Agreed, an enormous amount of cash so 15 months from now someone can come up with a list of things which, hypothetically, if all the stars align properly and a bunch of highly unlikely things all happen at precisely the same time, could possibly cause a malfunction leading to unintended acceleration. But probably no solid proof that any of them have ever actually been a culprit.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Mythbusters can do it. The best part is we can all get to watch it.:D
So NASA is going to load a Toyota vehicle in the space shuttle, take it to the space station and test it there.:eek:

·
Registered
274 Posts
You know, the only thing I can think of is this... at 94 mph in your Prius, are you REALLY saving the earth? -rockstate
lol, my wife said the same thing last weekend. a prius passed us on I40 going at least 80. gotta love a hypocrite :rolleyes:

What a waste, omg can he spend the money he prints faster????
what else do you expect from a liberal. come to think of it neither one of us should be posting. we should be working harder so all the welfare crackheads can get their april check :afro:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
No doubt, if the people that engineered this sheet can't figure it out, might as well give Nasa something to do, now that they've been pretty much grounded.....

On another note, Nasa would be a great 3rd party to bring in. As they have spent many years of figuring out what works and what doesn't.
YouTube - Early U.S. rocket and space launch failures and explosion

Doh... Can't divide by zero
Doh... that should have been a false
Doh... missed a semi-colon

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Maybe if NASA can not find a reason (since everyone else can not reproduce the problem) then this will be put to rest. I personally find it strange that none of the suspect vehicles can dupicate the sudden acceleration, none of the "black boxes" show the brakes applied, and so many lawyers are involved. Couple of weeks ago on the news a Houston lawyer says he has OVER 300 cases, WHAT????? Not saying it has not happened, but as all Scholarship people say believe the science not common sense ha. The science does not support a problem that I can see. A report of "sudden acceleration" makes front page news, but the news nothing can be found is hidden in Section B of the news paper, come on guys. May be a problem like I say, but show me the proof, like being able to recreate the problem after the fact!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anytime a corporation has problems, it's commonplace to hire consultants to come in and charge a lot of money to tell them what they already know. Call it spreading the blame, call it a new prespective, call it a fresh set of eyes. Whatever you call it, the practice is, done more often than I suspect the general public is aware of.

It's no secret that the media frenzy has been pretty damaging to Toyota's reputation. So what better way to help them on the road to recovery, than to get somebody else, with a good reputation, tell the Feds, what Toyota has been trying to tell 'em for quite some time. Just because it's "NASA", doesn't mean that this team of engineers is any more capable than Toyota's. the big benefit is....it's a fresh set of eyes on the problems, and a new perspective from an unbiased group with a good reputation.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anytime a corporation has problems, it's commonplace to hire consultants to come in and charge a lot of money to tell them what they already know. Call it spreading the blame, call it a new prespective, call it a fresh set of eyes. Whatever you call it, the practice is, done more often than I suspect the general public is aware of.
You are 100% correct - its done all of the time in every big corporation.

It's no secret that the media frenzy has been pretty damaging to Toyota's reputation. So what better way to help them on the road to recovery, than to get somebody else, with a good reputation, tell the Feds, what Toyota has been trying to tell 'em for quite some time. Just because it's "NASA", doesn't mean that this team of engineers is any more capable than Toyota's. the big benefit is....it's a fresh set of eyes on the problems, and a new perspective from an unbiased group with a good reputation.
I couldn't have said it better. You're right on the money.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
They only have a $3m budget. At NASA that won't even cover the cost of donuts for the meetings.:D

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
They will provide Tang though.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I know you are an old coot...you mentioned Tang. :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wasn't NASA still lauching the space shuttles even though at the time they hadn't figured out why that one had blown up?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Wasn't NASA still lauching the space shuttles even though at the time they hadn't figured out why that one had blown up?
>No, they shut it down (massive lay-offs) for something like 18-24 months.

>"Tang: It was initially intended as a breakfast drink, but sales were poor until NASA began using it on Gemini flights in 1965." We had to drink that crap in grade school.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Hopefully they won't be criticizing the o-rings Toyota uses :clown:

I don't see NASA having any more experience with automotive electronics than any of the other organizations (including Toyota commissioned Exponent). If it's a software glitch, it can be easily simulated and the issue would be more widespread. If it's a hardware or component issue, that's going to be harder to trace.

·
Registered
753 Posts
its a floormat issue! it aint rocket science... oh wait, nevermind it is

-Tim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts