Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a Crewmax LTD that is coming in soon which has all the options I want except Nav & backup camera. The dealer says they can add these no problem. If the dealer adds these, is it the same as a factory install? I suspect the wiring is already in place for the backup camera except for the connector, but I'm nervous I'd be getting some brand x. I'm sure the Nav is a slam dunk.

Thoughts?

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
I was offered the same thing by several dealers when searching for my Tundra DC. At first they all said it would be "factory" and "dealer installed" but when pressed for the details they admitted that it would not be the exact same unit as the NAV which comes from the factory. They said it would be an aftermarket model made by the same manufacturer as OEM and that it would fit exactly and work just like OEM but that it would be a slightly different model number. I didn't like the sound of this at all so I waited and got a DC Limited with NAV already built-in. This was about 2 months ago, though, when all Tundras were hard to come by in my area and I got the only one in the region with my config. At the time my dealer couldn't get the OEM parts so they were trying to pitch me the aftermarket install just to close the deal. I am glad I waited. This may not be a problem now since stock levels are coming up in most areas, although not sure about the number of units with NAV out there...

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just talked to the rep again and he said the unit is not quite the factory nav, as it is logoed "Eclipse", but that it is the "same" unit OEMed by Toyota. The backup camera is the same part, but he seemed to indicate (this is like pulling teeth) that there may be different "lines" on the setup. FYI, if the sonar is installed (which it is in this case) then the truck is wired for the backup camera.

I guess I'm feeling a wee bit nervous about this. I hate dealer installs.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don't do it. In other postings on TS people have found that even port-installed options are done very poorly (splices into nearest power source wtih electrical tape, etc...). I think the part number for the OEM Nav head unit is a 7013 but somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I thought the OEM system was Panasonic based, not Eclipse but again I really don't know (the OEM tailgate camera is deffinitely Panasonic). And the dealer must be using an aftermarket surround to make it look right in the 2007 dash.

You are doing a very good thing by boning up on the systems and dealer substitutions. It is approprate due dilligence. You will probably know more than the dealer salesman about the Toyota Nav system when you are through. I wonder how many unsuspecting customers are given aftermarket accessories thinking they are OEM or the "same thing the factory uses" (sonar thread on TS has been very enlightening). Do some searches on TS for Nav systems for retrofits etc. and good luck.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Definitely wait for the factory installed NAV. Substitutes can be problematic when it comes to warranty, compatiibility, support, and future expansion. The same rep that tried to con me into the "same as OEM" unit was also trying to tell me the backup camera monitor without NAV was just as good as with NAV. Without NAV the monitor is in the ceiling and is much smaller - huge difference and much less valuable in my opinion... Hold out for the exact truck you want - a few days or weeks of waiting will pay you back for the life of the truck.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Also, the factory nav comes with the higher-end JBL stereo. Are you going to get that also? Is the backup camera going to be viewed on the nav screen or are they going to install the separate screen for the backup camera? That would be a shame.

The problem, for me, would be that nobody at the dealership knows exactly how the nav is going to go in there at this point. If something doesn't exactly fit right, the sales manager is going to say "Just get it in there, OK? You've torn up the dash already and we've got to move this truck."

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone. :ts: I'm going to pass on this one for all the above reasons. FYI, the plan was for the backup camera to go thru the NAV and not on an overhead display. Even so, I've decided to wait. That gives me another chance to land that red rock interior :cool:

I want to say how impressed I am with the informative and upbeat posts I've read on this site. It was well worth the subscription and I appreciate all your help very much.:tu: :tu:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts