Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
I was offered the same thing by several dealers when searching for my Tundra DC. At first they all said it would be "factory" and "dealer installed" but when pressed for the details they admitted that it would not be the exact same unit as the NAV which comes from the factory. They said it would be an aftermarket model made by the same manufacturer as OEM and that it would fit exactly and work just like OEM but that it would be a slightly different model number. I didn't like the sound of this at all so I waited and got a DC Limited with NAV already built-in. This was about 2 months ago, though, when all Tundras were hard to come by in my area and I got the only one in the region with my config. At the time my dealer couldn't get the OEM parts so they were trying to pitch me the aftermarket install just to close the deal. I am glad I waited. This may not be a problem now since stock levels are coming up in most areas, although not sure about the number of units with NAV out there...

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Definitely wait for the factory installed NAV. Substitutes can be problematic when it comes to warranty, compatiibility, support, and future expansion. The same rep that tried to con me into the "same as OEM" unit was also trying to tell me the backup camera monitor without NAV was just as good as with NAV. Without NAV the monitor is in the ceiling and is much smaller - huge difference and much less valuable in my opinion... Hold out for the exact truck you want - a few days or weeks of waiting will pay you back for the life of the truck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.