Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's Up Fella's,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I special ordered a Slate Cremax Ltd with Red Rock interior and 20" wheels, running boards, front/rear sonar......and NAV. As of last week, no telling how long it would take. Now, my sales guy happened to find one with all features except...you guessed it...the NAV, which seems to be very hard to come by. He did say that he could get the unit of my choice installed at Car Toys and include the NAV cost as part of the total price.

I've searched all the NAV posts and am more confused than ever.

Do I wait (I'm in no hurry) until the truck I spec'ed comes in or do I get the available truck with aftermarket NAV installed now? I'm not a technophile, and as such I was thinking the Pioneer AVIC-D3 would be a decent unit for my purposes. Is the D3 any better than the Tundra's? Would I be hurt on resale with an aftermarket unit?

·
Registered
196 Posts
My Garmin C320 does a great job for about $275. And I can use it in either of 3 vehicles. It'd be $6000 to do that with factory nav units.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hello, i looked at a truck with nav to be installed by dealer. after getting the details this dealers nav sys. would not support blue tooth or the back up camera, he would install a camera moniter seperatly , much smaller unit. i am very glad i waited.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yeah I would just not get an in car NAV system and get a handheld. About a 1/3 of the price and much more versatile. Although, it doesn't talk to you so you may get a bit more lonely on those long trips. There are a lot of great companies out there which make incredible GPS devices. I would seriously look into those first. But that's just my opinion....:tu:

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
The integration of the factory system looks much better than any aftermarket unit would. The Nav control buttons interface nicely with the surrounding dash and HVAC controls. The price for nav ($1650 in my region) is quite a bargain considering everything that it's capable of (integrated backup camera, 4 disc internal changer, touchscreen). However, it doesn't play DVD's, and uses a map DVD instead of having an internal HDD which many new units have these days.

If it were me, the better looks would outweigh the option of having a more expensive, better optioned aftermarket unit. Plus you'd have to have the backup camera installed if you wanted that and you'd have to interface to the JBL system (not always easy with aftermarket systems).

Hope this helps...:tu: :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Don't settle for anything less than what you want. You don't want to be kicking yourself later for not getting exactly what you ordered and settling for less.

Good luck

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
The Pioneer Avic is a nice system and you can intergrate cameras into it, but it's not seemless; you would have to add cameras and wiring, and no steering wheel controls blah bla blah. The factory nav will work 'out of the box' and give you all of the functionality of an aftermarket system and then-some.
I agree with many of the previous posts, the perks of the toyoter nav are worth the wait. I would wait if I were you...oh, hang on, I did wait :D ...mine is showing up on May 6th, because I wanted the NAV with TRD.

Don't settle!:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
and needless to say ....the factory NAV acts excatly like the pioneer avic system! NO CONTROL ON THE NAV WHILE VEHICLE IS MOVING...which i think is a pain rear...I wish it could be more like a honda NAV! it is just frustrating...sometimes my job require me to like change directions , or go someplace else instead the designated point i just programed in the nav...I just wish someone can find a hack around this...

my 2 cents
Lemon

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the garmin 660 mounted to the dash with a suction cup. It does not obstruct vision of anything,& you dont have to take your eyes off the road to veiw, it in fact I monitor my speed with it just because its so easy to look at. It has blue tooth & was so easy to set up I didnt even look at the manual
for what its worth

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you do decide to go with an aftermarket nav, please PM as I just did a ton of research before buying mine and I may be able to help you with your purchase.

I will tell you right now that one potential negative with an aftermarket nav is that you'll have to remove it from your cabin everytime after using it because thiefs will want their hands on it if they see it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Great feedback all around!!

I'm probably going to wait for my order instead of going aftermarket. I'm trading in my 2006 Lexus GS430 :cry: for work purposes so I'm really not in a big hurry. (I recently purchased a partnership interest in a commercial landscape company and it would not look all that great showing up at a customer in that car).

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
If you do decide to go with an aftermarket nav, please PM as I just did a ton of research before buying mine and I may be able to help you with your purchase.

I will tell you right now that one potential negative with an aftermarket nav is that you'll have to remove it from your cabin everytime after using it because thiefs will want their hands on it if they see it.

May ask what unit you decided on and why?

·
Registered
132 Posts
May ask what unit you decided on and why?
Well first off, I'm a big fan of value. I wanted to get the TomTom One for $269 but after a lot of research, I realised that the Teleatlas maps (used by TomTom) are still not up to standard.

I purchased my Garmin Nuvi 350 from Costco for $349 (you won't find that price even on ebay) and it comes with SiRF III chipset, Navteq maps, great POI database and like all Garmins, is very easy to use and has never let me down even once.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts

and that's No different from oem because if they want to steal that's going to happen many aftermarket have code projection meaning it's like My parent's 06 accord if the battery or there system is removed it has a code programed into the unit and it's useless if stolen currently Toyota doesnt have such a system....

Personally Toyota Navi system are next to lame as they get on feature My unit has more going for it vs Toyota can ever provide on there system's on features...

pro's on My system vs Toyota

Xm traffic navi which will inform me on road and traffic delay's (not on the new Tundra period)
Voice rec Music search with hdd .This stores all my cd tracks on the hard drive and I can talk to my system and say music search say Top gun and it play's my stuff (Not on the New Tundra navi)

Feature wise I come out ahead of Toyota bases on command's and options not currently found in the toyota Headunit's plus My amp is much much better then Jbl can provide....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Metra should have a double din Tundra adaptor around the end of the month. You can then put in an Eclipse AVN 5500 or better which is a very nice unit and it plays DVD. HIgher end units also have a built in 30gig hard drive and dual DVD drives. I pod capable , serius, low level outputs camera input etc. No you cant talk to it.. No big deal. I had one for 2 years, works great. You can also get a kit for the 2 rear headrests for movies.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I also am a proud owner of a Garmin Nuvi from my wife, simply the best NAV i have ever owned period.........Garmin is the top tier for NAV's bar-none.:tu:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got the nuvi 350 for my daughter and I have even used it on occasion. What I love about the nuvi is the text to speech capability, "turn right on Oak Street" instead of "in 100 feet, right turn", and the 3d view which IMO is far better function than the birds eye view on Toyota nav systems. The small size makes it easy to stash in the glove box out of sight or to slip into a pocket. No hack needed to change destinations while driving either.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I would go with the eclipse avn6610.. The only problem is the kit wont be avaiable for about a week or so.. Your stock harness's plug directly into this unit.. blue tooth, rear camera, ipod, control steering wheel control, are all options that will work..!

price is about 1600.00

1 - 20 of 26 Posts