Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2007 Tundra with their navigation unit installed. I must say that there is no comparison to what I have been used to with my Tom/Tom unit with Mapquest. This is sooooo primative in design. Could it be that the vehicle comes with a basic unit, and that there is the ability to upgrade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I see a first time post with a recent registration putting out a potshot of a product on a forum, sure sounds fishy. If you had Tom Tom, wouldn't you have tested the Tundra navi and if you thought it was bad just kept your Tom Tom? I'll shoot an email to [email protected] to ask this question via email also.:td:

I have just purchased a 2007 Tundra with their navigation unit installed. I must say that there is no comparison to what I have been used to with my Tom/Tom unit with Mapquest. This is sooooo primative in design. Could it be that the vehicle comes with a basic unit, and that there is the ability to upgrade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would not buy the nav system for the following reasons. I have a Lexus ES350 with the same system but the display in the Lexus has a better (higher resolution) display. To say the system sucks is an understatement. I have had several GPS units over the past 10 years. They have all be Garmin units. If Toyota/Lexus had used Garmin and didn’t limit the use while moving then they would have the best.
After using the Lexus GPS I can tell you that except for the high resolution of the screen it is almost a complete waste of money. I basically knew this when I bought the Lexus but I wanted the other features that the built in display afforded.

Here are just a few of the reasons to purchase portable unit vs. a factory unit. All of the things that I list below and much more are available on a portable unit.

1: Cost. You can buy a better Nav. unit for 300.00 to $1000.00. If you want to be really cheap, and have an outstanding GPS then get a GPS with software for about $100.00 that you connect to a laptop. All of these units will do more than any factory installed GPS unit. Even the 300.00 units will out perform the factory units.

1: Maps in the Toyota/Lexus units are not detailed enough anywhere except in the major cities. I can look up an address in most Small towns and the Garmin unit will show it.
The Garmin maps will sometimes even show a road in a field, if it has been there a long time. The Garmin maps are much more detailed in the rural areas.

2: You will find that it will cost at least 200.00 + to update the map in the factory unit. You can update the maps in the portable unit for about 100.00 or less. I can load the whole US and Canada in the Garmin unit and do not have to change from region to region. Seamless navigation coast to coast.

2: After the vehicle is moving you cannot look up POI’s, exits on the interstate, addresses etc. My Lexus has voice recognition to do some things while it is moving but it too sucks. I have looked at the Toyota but I don’t know if it has the voice recognition or not. As soon as you get in a rural area the Nav unit will tell you that the information displayed is not accurate. (if you are in the nav. mode.)

3: You can’t change the map detail with out zooming in.

These are just a few of the reasons not to buy the factory unit. There are many other reasons too numerous to mention here. The only reason I would/did buy a factory unit was the other features that I could not get without the built in display. I think you can buy the Tundra with the backup camera etc. without the nav unit.

Just my two cents for what it’s worth..
:td:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would not buy the nav system for the following reasons. I have a Lexus ES350 with the same system but the display in the Lexus has a better (higher resolution) display. To say the system sucks is an understatement. I have had several GPS units over the past 10 years. They have all be Garmin units. If Toyota/Lexus had used Garmin and didn’t limit the use while moving then they would have the best.
After using the Lexus GPS I can tell you that except for the high resolution of the screen it is almost a complete waste of money. I basically knew this when I bought the Lexus but I wanted the other features that the built in display afforded.

Here are just a few of the reasons to purchase portable unit vs. a factory unit. All of the things that I list below and much more are available on a portable unit.

1: Cost. You can buy a better Nav. unit for 300.00 to $1000.00. If you want to be really cheap, and have an outstanding GPS then get a GPS with software for about $100.00 that you connect to a laptop. All of these units will do more than any factory installed GPS unit. Even the 300.00 units will out perform the factory units.

1: Maps in the Toyota/Lexus units are not detailed enough anywhere except in the major cities. I can look up an address in most Small towns and the Garmin unit will show it.
The Garmin maps will sometimes even show a road in a field, if it has been there a long time. The Garmin maps are much more detailed in the rural areas.

2: You will find that it will cost at least 200.00 + to update the map in the factory unit. You can update the maps in the portable unit for about 100.00 or less. I can load the whole US and Canada in the Garmin unit and do not have to change from region to region. Seamless navigation coast to coast.

2: After the vehicle is moving you cannot look up POI’s, exits on the interstate, addresses etc. My Lexus has voice recognition to do some things while it is moving but it too sucks. I have looked at the Toyota but I don’t know if it has the voice recognition or not. As soon as you get in a rural area the Nav unit will tell you that the information displayed is not accurate. (if you are in the nav. mode.)

These are just a few of the reasons not to buy the factory unit. There are many other reasons too numerous to mention here. The only reason I would/did buy a factory unit was the other features that I could not get without the built in display. I think you can buy the Tundra with the backup camera etc. without the nav unit.

I own a Garmin Nuvi 350 (Navteq maps, SiRFIII chipset, Street to name tech. etc.) and a C330 and I've used everything from a Mio to Navman to Magellan to TomTom (teleatlas maps). I've also used the Lexus GPS units and they're excellent! Frankly, I don't know what you're talking about.

2006 Lexus IS 350 Reviews. Sedan Reviews by CNET.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I own a Garmin Nuvi 350 (Navteq maps, SiRFIII chipset, Street to name tech. etc.) and a C330 and I've used everything from a Mio to Navman to Magellan to TomTom (teleatlas maps). I've also used the Lexus GPS units and they're excellent! Frankly, I don't know what you're talking about.

2006 Lexus IS 350 Reviews. Sedan Reviews by CNET.
Same here. I have pioneer AVIC-Z1 in my FJ and yea, it's got pertier maps and views and stuff but my Tunny's NAV works great and gets me to where I'm going with ease of use. And if you set the NAV to French she will actually make you horny.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I have been useing my factory NAV for the last few days.

Again, the factory nav is great. Very useable and has plenty of features. Everything in my small town and surrounding areas show up fine, most every street that I have observed.

Yes, most of the touch screen is deactivated above 5 mph, but almost everything is accessible via the voice activation. Very intelligent, picks up what I tell it perfectly.

Miss a turn, reroutes within 50ft. Directions have been spot on, so far. The location seems to be right on for me as well.

Maybe I don't ask enough of it. She won't water down my coffee or burn my toast, but it gets me where I tell it I need to go.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts

Wow, you've got a pretty strong opinion there chief...especially when you seem to compare all of these nav units to the ONE in your Lexus.
If all of those aftre market units are so great.....how come you have owned several? I played with the nav in the Tundra and my Corvette has one. This past week a coworker and I were driving around in nashville and he was using a portable garmin deal...brand new, cost 500 bucks he said. it's detail and resolution was worse than the one in my vette (the GM is really good) Admittedly the japs prob have better nav systems than GM...The tundra's nav was cool great features, and I loved the map detail.

Also, you were very wrong on some things....
about my vette nav (which might not be as advanced as the toyoter nav):
-I can input POIs while driving, and I can scroll through upcoming exits and amenities.
-It shows roads in fields and does great with back country rural roads
-has never given me a wrong turn on rural roads from WA to GA
-It has seamless state-to-state mapping
-new disk is free...go to corvette forum and have someone burn a copy :D

++pros for a built-in unit
-it's coded and useless if stolen....not yours
-don't have to deal with a chunk of electronics blocking my view
-other vehicle systems displayed on screen
-integrated antenna
-no extra crap floating around my car/truck
-screen is bigger
-It's under warranty
-in the vette...the nav is integrated with the Head-Up Display and projects directions and route information on the windshield so I don't have to look away from the road...aftermarket won't do that biatch

yes, I have based my rebuttal on a GM/Corvette nav, but I have played with the new tundra's (as i previously stated)...the nav in my new tundra will be even better than the one in the vette (aside from the head-up display). I have also used (N)everlost in Hertz renatl cars for years and hate that stand-alone $h!t.

Before you point out all of those supposed, and often, fictional negatives, pllease be sure to be informed. :D

and now for something completely different::::
I wish that the voice on the nav was a bitchy british female that got exhasperated with me when I missed a turn....you know? Just like having a feisty woman sitting next to you, though without the potential for road-he*d. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, you've got a pretty strong opinion there chief...especially when you seem to compare all of these nav units to the ONE in your Lexus.
If all of those aftre market units are so great.....how come you have owned several? I played with the nav in the Tundra and my Corvette has one. This past week a coworker and I were driving around in nashville and he was using a portable garmin deal...brand new, cost 500 bucks he said. it's detail and resolution was worse than the one in my vette (the GM is really good) Admittedly the japs prob have better nav systems than GM...The tundra's nav was cool great features, and I loved the map detail.

Also, you were very wrong on some things....
-I can input POIs while driving, and I can scroll through upcoming exits and amenities.
-has never given me a wrong turn on rural roads from WA to GA
-It has seamless state-to-state mapping
-new disk is free...go to corvette forum and have someone burn a copy :D

++pros for a built-in unit
-integrated antenna
-screen is bigger
-It's under warranty
-in the vette...the nav is integrated with the Head-Up Display and projects directions and route information on the windshield so I don't have to look away from the road...aftermarket won't do that biatch

yes, I have based my rebuttal on a GM/Corvette nav, but I have played with the new tundra's (as i previously stated)...the nav in my new tundra will be even better than the one in the vette (aside from the head-up display). I have also used (N)everlost in Hertz renatl cars for years and hate that stand-alone $h!t.

Before you point out all of those supposed, and often, fictional negatives, pllease be sure to be informed. :D

and now for something completely different::::
I wish that the voice on the nav was a bitchy british female that got exhasperated with me when I missed a turn....you know? Just like having a feisty woman sitting next to you, though without the potential for road-he*d. :D
“Wow, you've got a pretty strong opinion there chief...especially when you seem to compare all of these nav units to the ONE in your Lexus.”

Ok, where did I say that I was comparing all units in all cars to the Lexus/Toyota? I never mentioned a Vett. or any other vehicle.

“If all of those aftre market units are so great.....how come you have owned several? “

The obvious answer is improvements in the technology. I bought my first Garmin because I wanted a nav unit in my Acura. At the time the Acura unit didn’t even have the road that I live on in it database. The Garmin did.

“This past week a coworker and I were driving around in nashville and he was using a portable garmin deal...brand new, cost 500 bucks he said. it's detail and resolution was worse than the one in my vette (the GM is really good) Admittedly the japs prob have better nav systems than GM...”
“The tundra's nav was cool great features, and I loved the map detail.”

I never said that there was anything wrong with the map detail in town. If you look closely on one of the screens that show each region you will see that Lexus states. “ only some areas are covered in detail.” The screen also shows which areas are covered’, they are all in cities and not many at that.

How did you use all of the cool features while you were driving? All of us Lexus owners would like to be able to override the lockout feature without tearing out the dash to cut wires and install switches etc.

“Also, you were very wrong on some things....
-has never given me a wrong turn on rural roads from WA to GA”
It has seamless state-to-state mapping
-new disk is free...go to corvette forum and have someone burn a copy

Read the post again. My major complaint is that all of these features are locked out while the vehicle is in motion and the DVD is expensive to update. If you don’t believe me, ask your Toyota dealer for the price of an update DVD..

"++pros for a built-in unit
-integrated antenna
-screen is bigger
-It's under warranty”

All valid points. But I can buy the Garmin 7200 that has a 7 inch screen with at least the resolution of the Tundra has better maps, plays mp3’s, has blue tooth, traffic updates,…… and I can use it just like the one in your Vett.

"-in the vette...the nav is integrated with the Head-Up Display and projects directions and route information on the windshield so I don't have to look away from the road...aftermarket won't do that biatch”

True, the aftermarket doesn’t do heads up. I wish the Lexus/Tundra had the heads up display. That would be nice.

”yes, I have based my rebuttal on a GM/Corvette nav, but I have played with the new tundra's (as i previously stated)...the nav in my new tundra will be even better than the one in the vette (aside from the head-up display). I have also used (N)everlost in Hertz renatl cars for years and hate that stand-alone $h!t.”

”Before you point out all of those supposed, and often, fictional negatives, pllease be sure to be informed.”

I have used the nav in the Lexus about 5 months and I have used various Garmin unit for at least 10 years. Compared to the Garmin it sucks. Since you have only “PLAYED” with the Tundra and the 500.00 Garmin I think that just maybe you are the one that is not informed. .

We will have to agree to disagree.

“and now for something completely different::::
I wish that the voice on the nav was a bitchy british female that got with me when I missed a turn....you know? Just like having a feisty woman sitting next to you, though without the potential for road-he*d.

That would be ok when I am alone, but I usually have a feisty woman sitting next to me most of the time. I usually turn the voice prompts off as I don’t need two exasperated women telling me where to go, how fast/slow to go, how much distance to keep between me and the vehicle in front of me, etc,etc,etc. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts