Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows,

Ok, I'm new to your site. It is overwhelming the info that goes on here. Really great stuff. Enough sucking up.

My questions have to do with the Nav systems that are OEM and after market.

I purchased an 06 DC last week, I was not familiar with all the options that were out there. It has occured to me that I maybe interested in a Nav system.

First, is it possible to install an OEM in place of the JBL single disc system I now have??????

Second, if it is how difficult is it??? I'm sure this involves additions to the stock wiring harness, correct???

Third, Am I thinking this correctly? the stock Nav system also has a disc changer, back up camera capibilities and satellight radio.

Now for the after market Nav systems,

Are they compatible with the an in dash installation????

Are they better units and have the same or better capibilities????

And price wise, where is the money better spent. Is it better to find a used OEM or is it better to go the after market way?????

I have been reading all kinds of posts and it is a bit overwhelming for a new guy to get a grip on all that info. I'm really new to Nav systems and have no experience with the options that are available. I have been reading about all the 7000 series OEMs and the options and touch screens on some models and microphones on others. Do I want or need all these??? And can this all be installed and work properly.

Thank you and I hope that I am not asking too much on one post.

Ben

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Look at my signature for OEM nav info :)

Personally I like the OEM nav better (E7009) because it fits the look of the truck better, yea there are better aftermarket units out there, but I dont care for the graphics as much, and the aftermarket units usually have annoying lights. Thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Your going to usually spend more on a factory nav. I have the kenwood 7019 and its great. Does everything you could want. I have less than $1200 in my headunit which includes, nav, back up camera, bluetooth hands free, XM and dvd.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am in the same boat as you on figuring out what unit and how much to spend. Let me know what you end up with, sounds like you have been doing alot of reading up on this issue. I am planning a long road trip in June so I am going to install a nav and dvd unit soon, just don't know which one either.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have had the factory toyota nav and have currently switched to the eclipse 6610. Both are very good units, but for the price you get alot more function out of the eclipse models. The eclipse model plays dvd's has full ipod controls, tv tuner, HD radio, and a couple other features that the factory nav does not. And the best thing is, eclipse makes the factory toyota nav's, so almost all wiring is direct plug and play, (although their software is not compatible:confused: ). The only thing you need is the bypass harness for the jbl amp, which is pretty easy to install. My model also features a dual zone selection, so kids can watch a movie in the back (with headphones)and me and the wife can listen to the ipod or radio up front. It depends on what features you are looking for in your nav unit. Price for the toyota nav's from oemvalue.com run $1700, (last time I checked) and I think I paid around $1600 for my eclipse 6610. I do think that the fit of the toyota nav is better than the eclipse but thats the only plus.:tu: I have also heard good things about the pioneer avic-z1, (better grapchics). Do some more searching. Good luck!:)

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Never mind...

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I would recommend the eclipse unit hands down. More features for less money and all you need is the scosche toyota adaptor to plug it into the factory harness. Worst part about it is getting behind the instrument panel to tie into the speed and reverse wires. The gps antenna goes on the far right passenger side dash between the windshield and the ac vent.

·
Registered
267 Posts
On my 05, the speed and reverse wires are already behing the HU, just have to run the parking brake ground wire (mine is permanently grounded so I can play movies while driving for the passenger). The actual connector that is on the speed and reverse wire plugs directly into the eclipse HU, so no splicing required.:tu:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like magellan44 I am new to nav. I really like Crutchfield.com for many items plus the reviews and info they have there. I used that website to finally decide on the Kenwood DNX-7100 which has nav integrated into the double din video screen. I ordered the unit from a reputable seller on ebay (who beat crutchfield by $400 on price) along with an amp and the xm radio/navtraffic GXM30 antenna. Wow, this thing is cool! Navigation is awesome and traffic reports here in Atlanta is great! I've only used it for a couple days and it is already showing me where and when the traffic jams are on the major highways in the city. If you don't live in a majorly congested area like Atlanta the traffic is probably unnecessary. The navigation is extremely accurate in my suburb of Atlanta. It's amazing to me that the unit knows my speed and can calculate travel times pretty accurately without a spedometer sensor wire which made installation tolerable. The interface is complex yet intuitive. I love it so far. Only problem was the placement of GPS and XM smart antenna. They had to go on the roof of my 2006 Tacoma access cab and I wired them through the third brake light. The antenna's are ugly together and the wires going into the brake light look rigged up to me. I had to use silicone on the third brake light real good to make up for the 8th of an inch gap from the antenna cable. This look is really disturbing me and I'm looking for ways to make it look better although I am not sure if I will find one. The placement of the antenna on a GPS unit should be a deciding factor in my opinion for people looking to buy a GPS unit. I get great reception, I'll give it that. Get GPS and XM signal in my garage with the anteanna's on the roof. I guess it's a trade off. Sorry for rambling. Love the site!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts