Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like magellan44 I am new to nav. I really like Crutchfield.com for many items plus the reviews and info they have there. I used that website to finally decide on the Kenwood DNX-7100 which has nav integrated into the double din video screen. I ordered the unit from a reputable seller on ebay (who beat crutchfield by $400 on price) along with an amp and the xm radio/navtraffic GXM30 antenna. Wow, this thing is cool! Navigation is awesome and traffic reports here in Atlanta is great! I've only used it for a couple days and it is already showing me where and when the traffic jams are on the major highways in the city. If you don't live in a majorly congested area like Atlanta the traffic is probably unnecessary. The navigation is extremely accurate in my suburb of Atlanta. It's amazing to me that the unit knows my speed and can calculate travel times pretty accurately without a spedometer sensor wire which made installation tolerable. The interface is complex yet intuitive. I love it so far. Only problem was the placement of GPS and XM smart antenna. They had to go on the roof of my 2006 Tacoma access cab and I wired them through the third brake light. The antenna's are ugly together and the wires going into the brake light look rigged up to me. I had to use silicone on the third brake light real good to make up for the 8th of an inch gap from the antenna cable. This look is really disturbing me and I'm looking for ways to make it look better although I am not sure if I will find one. The placement of the antenna on a GPS unit should be a deciding factor in my opinion for people looking to buy a GPS unit. I get great reception, I'll give it that. Get GPS and XM signal in my garage with the anteanna's on the roof. I guess it's a trade off. Sorry for rambling. Love the site!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.