Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Tacoma and I was wondering if anyone outhere has installed a navigation system in your truck. I was thinking about installing a pioneer DVD/Navigation system but I'm not sure how it would look. I need some help, any pictures? Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have installed my Garmin 276c using the solid suction cup mount and power plug with speak so I can hear the British lady's cute voice instructions.

Works very well, and I use it on the motorcycles as well!

Regards,
Thane Silliker
London, Ontario

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's my Pioneer AVIC D3 that I installed in my '07 Tacoma 4x4 Sport DC with JBL:

The dashkit is from Scosche. I installed the BOYO VTL300 license plate cam, the BTB200 Bluetooth kit, and the iPod cable. It's a pretty slick unit and I love it.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do your steering wheel controls work with the Pioneer unit? Did you have to buy anything extra to make them work, or is it plug n play?

·
Registered
520 Posts
How much does a set up like that cost? I would be doing the installing FWIW.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do your steering wheel controls work with the Pioneer unit? Did you have to buy anything extra to make them work, or is it plug n play?
I had to buy the PAC-SWI steering wheel control interface and it works well, but there is a slight delay in response compared to the stock head unit.

youngtacoma06 said:
how do you like the whole ipod connection and navigation set up?
I like it. The iPod control is pretty decent. My only gripe is that I have around 40GBs of music on my iPod and scrolling through all that music is a drag. I usually just use playlists and let it shuffle through the tracks, so it's not a huge deal for me.

The navigation is good too. I don't mind having to put the disc in to plan a route. You can just eject it after the route is planned and put in a CD if you still use those. The parking brake is easy to bypass.

JaredPointer said:
How much does a set up like that cost? I would be doing the installing FWIW.
Hmmmm... Including the headunit, camera, Bluetooth, iPod cable, JBL adapter and steering wheel interface, I'd say around $1500ish. My local installer quoted me 1799.00 to install just the headunit. :td::D

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had to buy the PAC-SWI steering wheel control interface and it works well, but there is a slight delay in response compared to the stock head unit.

I like it. The iPod control is pretty decent. My only gripe is that I have around 40GBs of music on my iPod and scrolling through all that music is a drag. I usually just use playlists and let it shuffle through the tracks, so it's not a huge deal for me.

The navigation is good too. I don't mind having to put the disc in to plan a route. You can just eject it after the route is planned and put in a CD if you still use those. The parking brake is easy to bypass.

Hmmmm... Including the headunit, camera, Bluetooth, iPod cable, JBL adapter and steering wheel interface, I'd say around $1500ish. My local installed quoted me 1799.00 to install just the headunit. :td::D

It takes money to make a beautiful truck. I really like the look. Congrat!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's my AVIC-Z1. This thing is awesome

·
Registered
172 Posts
The best navigation system is the one I own. It's a two piece job. An Atlas and a compass. Works great and I don't need a satellite signal or some female voice telling me where to go, my wife does that everyday,Lol. Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
The best navigation system is the one I own. It's a two piece job. An Atlas and a compass. Works great and I don't need a satellite signal or some female voice telling me where to go, my wife does that everyday,Lol. Mike
+1

The nav systems are only as good as the maps supplied by third parties. I'll admit to using mapquest or yahoo maps on occasion, when trying to find a difficult location, but the directions given are often wrong and sometimes correct but idiotic. I'd hate to pay for a nav system and have the same results.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Your wife sounds like a real sweet woman.:D

I can navigate using only the stars to guide me, but sometimes a nav system is a little more convenient. For instance, sometimes I like to drive during the day.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
There is a member that is setting up a mini-itx computer in the dash, do a search for his system. I had a VIA SP13000 system I was going to install, but decided not to spend another grand on the thing and parted the system. I was even considering going as far as installing XP Embedded (big $ for the dev kit) since you can get the installation and required software easily installed on a 2gb flash module. Basically with a computer in your car you can set up a touchscreen lcd running your favorite GPS software along with Winamp, and other picks of software. I picked up a new Lenovo X series laptop, along with Streets and Trips '07. I may end up installing a docking station in the Tacoma with a indash lcd. I'll have to say the GPS software is much more accurate then they were a few years ago. The tracking is pretty much dead on, and the directions are pretty clear and accurate. It gives you a pretty decent heads up for a turn, so it accounts for the speed in which you are travelling.

With the Nano and the new Pico you can easily install it anywhere in the truck. Very cool computers. Or if you dont mind the mini-itx size (17 x 17 cm) you can go with a Core 2 Duo processor and have a much more powerful machine over the VIA chips.

Overall I dont need a nav system, Ive driven through NYC, Albuquerque, Charlotte, Doha, Seoul and many other places without one. Its just a matter of convenience.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Overall I dont need a nav system, Ive driven through NYC, Albuquerque, Charlotte, Doha, Seoul and many other places without one. Its just a matter of convenience.
My thoughts and point exactly. Traveled all over this country and others and spent way to much time in the mountains and swamps and never failed to find my way to where I was going or my way back without any
satellites guiding me. To me this so called navigation stuff is as big of an unneeded product and rip off as we have seen yet!
That doesn't mean I don't respect the person who wants one or feels they need one . We all like our own brand of toys :) Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts