Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
My thoughts and point exactly. Traveled all over this country and others and spent way to much time in the mountains and swamps and never failed to find my way to where I was going or my way back without any
satellites guiding me. To me this so called navigation stuff is as big of an unneeded product and rip off as we have seen yet!
That doesn't mean I don't respect the person who wants one or feels they need one . We all like our own brand of toys :) Mike
And to top it off you have to pay a subscription fee or purchase a new version when your current one becomes outdated.

The only time I actually used GPS software to help nav was while trying to find a alternate route from going from Delaware down towards NC, going through DC. It worked pretty slick, but since I used it as a road atlas I could have saved a bundle by just using the big printed version I have stuff under the rear seat. I hate having to stop for directions, Id much rather look at a map and point myself in the right direction. As far as spending $600+ for a GPS unit to strap on the dash? No way.

I've used a Summit GPS for plotting out some mountain bike paths. Very handy. I could see how it could save someones life if they every got lost in the woods. Since some of those actually have streets builtin perhaps that would be a good unit to buy, cover the roads and off-road adventures.

Aviation GPS units are a must have, saved one of my old flight instructors and a fellow student while flying instrument in a Piper Arrow. The electronics completely died, Jason just pulled out his handheld GPS, found the nearest airport and took the plane down until they could see ground, and the airport.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
How/where did you run the antenna for the GPS?
My current GPS receiver isnt waterproof, I just either leave it hanging off the laptop or string it up to one of the windows as it has a suction cup you can add to it along with a nice length of cable.

For a permanent install I would suggest running it up through the headliner towards the rear window. Pop out the third brake light and run the wire through there (if the cable isnt too thick). Be sure to have a new gasket for the light on hand and/or some rtv, you dont want to create a gap there for water to come in, and when you pull the light out it will pretty much destroy the original gasket. Not knowing before hand, I just used some black rtv sealant. This is where I have the satellite antenna come in, it makes a fairly clean install.

·
Registered
80 Posts
haha six i recognize your taco from cardomain, ive been drooling over the pictures for the last month, as right now i am working in a cannery in alaska to pay for my tacoma. anyway, i found a d3 for about 700, think this is worth it, or are there other options?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts