Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of cutting, testing, splicing back together. I've gone through 8 wires so far - heh, to no avail.

I'm trying to install a LOC by splicing it right by the HU (there's a nice open space back there for it to chill out). The wire colors make no sense at all (I presume they do that on purpose - arg). When I cut the red wire, my right side (front and back) stopped working - cha ching right? Now what is the corresponding + or - for that red wire? Anyone know? :)

I'm SO close to being done with my system - just have to finish hooking up the LOC and run the RCA's to the AMP. I wanna finish it tonight, well, at least, that would be grand :)

Anyone have any ideas? Is there an easier way to test for which wires are speaker wires other than cutting, testing, and splicing back together?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Assuming you have non-JBL I believe these are the colors:

FRONT

Left + = Pink
Left - = Violet
Right + = Lt. Green
Right - = Blue

REAR

Left + = Black
Left - = Yellow
Right + = Red
Right - = White

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have the JBL actually, guess I should have stated :)

I had actually cut the white and red wires previously and noticed the right side speaker (rear and front I think both) went out. After putting the red one back together, they began working again, yet the white wire was still cut. I'm 90% sure you are right about the red wire . . .but 90% sure the white wire is wrong, unless I just know nothing - which could be 90% possible :)

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Okay for JBL at the head unit:

L+ = Black
L- = Green
R+ = Red
R- = White

But I'm not sure those signals are usable, because I have heard that they used a digital signal between the HU and the Amp on the JBL's. So what you probably need to do is tap the signals coming out of the Amp, which should be located behind the plastic panel that covers the back wall of your cab. The colors to look for there should be:

Front Left:

Woofer + = Green
Woofer - = Blue/White
Tweeter + = Pink
Tweeter - = Violet

Front Right:

Woofer + = Black/Yellow
Woofer - = White/Blue
Tweeter + = Lt. Green
Tweeter - = Blue

Back:

Left + = Black
Left - = Yellow
Right + = Red
Right - = White

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for all the help folks.

I actually got a wiring diagram specifically for my Tundra (why do they call it a taco btw :))

Anyhoo - I can't figure out that diagram either! ah ha ha - man, nothing is simple is it ;)

So, I keep hearing that the stock amp is behind the back panel behind the back seats? I haven't actually taken that panel off because, well, I thought for sure one of the two amp looking devices behind the panel where my stereo is would be the amplifier. The speaker harness from the back of the stereo plugs into this amp device, and then runs under the carpet somewhere.

The other thing is that I have cut both the red and white wires behind my stereo AND after what I think is the amp. But splicing the red wires back together gives me sound on the right speakers - the white not affecting anything.

Many people have suggested it's the red and white wires, and even the diagram I got says white and red! But . . .cripe! lol - the white wire isn't in the equation in my truck. I'm so lost :(

Car Toys said they'll charge me 25 bucks to label my wires for me. I'm so tired of trying to figure it out I may just do that, and of course post my findings here ;)

Thanks for all the replies though folks, I really do appreciate it.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
I actually got a wiring diagram specifically for my Tundra (why do they call it a taco btw :))
taco = tacoma
but there's a 10% chance I could be wrong :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts