Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to have my latch replaced for the third time since I bought this truck in 2008. The first time was in 2013; my repair shop used the factory Toyota plastic latch. It broke again June 2015 and was replaced with a factory Toyota metal latch (allegedly improved). The new latch broke again three months later. My shop is going to replace it under warranty, but changing this latch over and over is frustrating.

Is there a way to set up an electric actuator so that a button can be pressed? I read that someone had wired a pull cable that fed to the exterior near the license plate, so I suppose that is a solution even though I'm not crazy about having some wire dangling from the rear.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
492 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help!

That's the thread I was looking for! Thanks!

I've read mixed things about that handle. I tried a metal one from Parts Geek (not saying that they're identical) and it broke on the first pull. Parts Geek made me pay shipping for that piece of junk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I talked to my Toyota dealer about it they said unless you replace the latch, cable, and handle you were wasting your time. This last time I did that and it's working fine, but not enough time has passed to say for sure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I talked to my Toyota dealer about it they said unless you replace the latch, cable, and handle you were wasting your time. This last time I did that and it's working fine, but not enough time has passed to say for sure.
Interesting. What are the issues with the latch and cable? How long have you had the whole thing replaced?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Only been about a month. Before this, it was out every six months. Something to the tune that the latch weakens and causes undo stress on the handle making it weak and it breaks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've read mixed things about that handle. I tried a metal one from Parts Geek (not saying that they're identical) and it broke on the first pull. Parts Geek made me pay shipping for that piece of junk.
Don't buy the Parts Geek handle. Buy the specific handle I linked to. Not any others. I got ooked in the dooker by getting the other handle, too and it lasted not very long at all. There are three failure points: One, the little plastic arm that works the bell crank snaps off (Factory). Two, the bellcrank itself bends (Cheap-sh*t Amazon ripoff artist vendor!). Three, the bellcrank attachment point fails and the bellcrank comes off (Dorman/Parts Geek).
The all metal one- make sure it is all metal!- is the one to get. Just holding it, it is much heavier. Stronger. Better.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Replaced all metal one a few years ago and did it myself. Interesting repair but it has worked find ever since. Thanks Youtube!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love my all metal latch and I ghetto mounted it. I was pissed trying to get the brake pulley in place, very simlar to the ones on bikes so I cut right through the sheet metal of the car as I had some dynamat and the coverplate fits right over it that way if I need to ever work on it again for whatever reason I can. I also removed the spring setup on the rearview window as it was always causing problems and its now as smooth as butter. Haven't had a problem in 2-3 years now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve spent hours on my gate: replaced latch cable, gate handle, removed / disassembled / lubed latch housing and STILL have problems.

Until now, I hope. I removed the rear windshield wiper assembly — not easy! But, I never used mine and the location provides an excellent access point to re-route latch cable. I used a zip tie to fasten the cable to the inside of the license plate housing:

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4
145 Posts
I installed a new latch last weekend. Swapped out the old rusty and sticking latch for an Amazon special. The cable was a bit different in that the metal clamp was longer and interfered with the plastic housing. A little custom fitting was needed. So far it works fine. We'll see how long it lasts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts