Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The switch on the power steering valve failed and was dumping fluid into my intake manifold. It ruined my engine, and the shop is trying to figure what shot through the bottom of the engine. My question is, might it be cheaper just to find a used engine? Are there any shops or sites from your area that you would recommend? I'm located in north Louisiana.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Don't know how much freight would be, but if you don't have luck locally, try these guys. They have always been helpful.

Grahams Auto

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, try LKQ on line salvage.
you never know. they also have a ebay listing.
this salavge yard as i have said before. due to the fact ,that i know several ase mechanics that work at dealership's. when a warrenty item need's replacing, they use them when they can. due to the fact for exapmle. a new alternator is over 4700, but used shipped is approx. 100. so they go with a used alternator. as your replacement. belive it or not.
this place also gives you a 6month warrenty. that is why dealership's use them. they are a huge honest place. and have a alot of inventory. good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
$4700 for an alternator? Holy sh*t! If I picked my vehicle up from the dealer and they had installed used parts, I'd tell them to get bent!

·
Registered
657 Posts

What is your truck .......................... but used parts!?!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I work in a truck dealership, and there is no way in hell we could get away with replacing a warranty part with a used part. The customer would b!tch, and coporate would not pay the claim. If my vehicle was under warranty and my (insert part here) broke, I would want a new or reman replacement, not one that had ? miles. Can anyone else chime in and confirm or deny that a dealership would replace a warranty part with a junkyard part?

·
Registered
756 Posts
are you kidding me? That is the oldest scam in the industry. And any shop that thinks they can get away with it will try. Look at the dollar amounts involved. A new tranny or this nice bone yard special for a 10th of the cost. A shop could pocket 2000 or more right there. I'm sure many have paid for new and didn't get exactly that. Just so you know they love doing this with body panels too, so don't go believing your body guy either. Also in your warranty it doesn't state that you'll get brand new factory parts. It states that they will fix the problem not replace brand new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, here is an update. The rebuilt motor now has almost 30,000 miles on it. My power steering rack was pouring fluid out at the top of the gear box, so I replaced the rack with a re-manufactured one. I flushed the power steering system and put all new fluid in. About 100 miles of driving and there is white smoke coming from my tailpipe just like before. PS reservoir is dry. Its seems as though it is happening all over again. Why is the PS fluid getting in my manifold?? Is this a coming problem?? I cant understand why it would happen again WTH??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re-manufactured PS pump at 80,000 miles (previous owner had replaced it once before, so that means 3 pumps have been put on this truck), used the old vacuum switch. Rebuilt motor at 100,000 miles and replaced the vacuum switch on the PS pump at the same time. Just replaced the PS rack at 125,000. So the new vacuum switch has about 25,000 miles on it.

This is retarded. 3 power steering pumps within 80,000 miles? WTH? And why the hell would they even feed that vacuum line to the intake manifold so that the PS fluid could destroy the engine? I'm about sick of this POS!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Check the vacuum hoses fer signs of ATF (yer using ATF and not PS fluid, right?). I believe the vacuum switch is used to provide variable assist when yer at parking lot speeds. You could unplug the switch and plug the hoses/connect them together. Not sure how the switch works so you might have to experiment on what provides you with the best results. ;)

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Also in your warranty it doesn't state that you'll get brand new factory parts. It states that they will fix the problem not replace brand new.
Depends on the warranty. The toyota platinum warranty I bought back in 2002 specifically stated either new or remanufactured parts, not used like some third party warranties.

I agree with you on the body panels as I've seen it done personally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts