Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well while helping a buddy haul some stuff off, everything wasnt secured and when a woman pulled out in front of me. Bam right into my tailgate. My question is does anyone know where I can get a used one or a aftermarket one that fits well? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My body guy told me he could fix it but being on the top of the tailgate above the handle he cant promise the repair will last especially when bondo is used on the tailgate

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
E-bay will give you a place to look for one if you don't like factory price.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Here's a ref point for ya.

Sparks Toyota-Scion

If that doesn't pop up, it's MSRP of 600 and through Sparks at $480.01.

You can transfer all the rest of the stuff and then have it painted. Gonna be a big investment though.

Sorry to hear about the damage, but good luck getting it fixed.

-rockstate

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about just getting a tiregate for that kind of price. I know how much the Toyota one was. I did find an aftermarket one on ebay for 209 plus shipping and then probaly charge me about 100-125 to paint it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Make sure if you buy a tailgate, that you are getting the improved version which were introduced in late 2008. Surely there are alot of the 07, 08 gates floating around which are substandard if you plan on placing weight on them.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
don't you have insurance??? :confuseda:

And I keep hearing people say the tailgates were improved...:
Make sure if you buy a tailgate, that you are getting the improved version which were introduced in late 2008. Surely there are alot of the 07, 08 gates floating around which are substandard if you plan on placing weight on them.
I don't notice any difference between my '07 & my '10. Was there a change?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
If it wasn't your fault, your Insurance should cover the damage, and NOT raise your premium. I always tell people that if your Ins company threatens to raise your premiums after covering damage (covering damage is what you PAY for in the first place)... then you should tell them that you'll be happy to shop for a new insurance company. They usually reconsider.

I'm not sure how Ins deductables apply in NC... in Mich, if it's not your fault, the other Ins company pays for your deductable, so you pay nothing out of pocket. Hopefully the same applies for you in NC

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do but all my junk yards specialize in pre-1996 cars mostly late 80's early 90's cars not nothing new as mine

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I do but all my junk yards specialize in pre-1996 cars mostly late 80's early 90's cars not nothing new as mine
Brother does your name "Grizzman" mean you have a Grizzly ATV and have you tried to load it on your tailgate (before the accident)?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I do occassionally carry my Grizzly in the back of the truck and already had one tailgate fail back in 08. Seperated on the sides, thought about maybe trying it again because I only have 2000 miles before I hit 36k

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Craigslist is a gold mine... Use it!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
don't you have insurance??? :confuseda:

And I keep hearing people say the tailgates were improved...:I don't notice any difference between my '07 & my '10. Was there a change?
Tailgates prior to late 2008 were splitting in the corners and denting when weight was applied to the gate. Primarily loading of ATV's, lawnmovers and such using ramps, some cases of carrying wood and just sitting on the gate as well. In response Toyota added gussets to the corners in late 2008 models. If you have nothing to do for the next couple of days you can read the attached thread.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...e-failures-i-am-club/?highlight=club+tailgate

1 - 20 of 26 Posts