Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my pretty baby went from super nice to smashed due to a run in with a deer. See attached pics.

This is my first accident in over 20 years, so I am not sure what to ask about, or look for when researching a body shop. I want to have it put back together right, with OEM parts when possible.

Also, does anyone know of a good shop with experience with Tundras in the Cincinnati area?

Thanks!
20200604_152555.jpg
20200604_152543.jpg
20200409_101544.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It's worse than it looks. After I got it home, and was able to get the hood up, I noticed the core support is bent, and the condenser was leaking. Also, my passenger side door now runs on the fender.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good news is that hopefully no one was injured. This is a bummer but nothing that can't be fixed. This is when your comprehensive insurance kicks in. I had the adventure of vehicle-vs-deer three times over the years and they techs were able to get the vehicles back in shape. Don't try to figure the fixing process out, just let the pros deal with it. Some dealerships have body shops, it will cost more, but I believe that under the comp. part of your coverage there may not even be a deductible.
Good luck with it, and I am glad your safe. Chap

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bodywork is expensive! 9 years ago, I had a deer run into the side of my 2002 Tundra just in front of the passenger door. At first glance I thought there was hardly any damage at all but the rear of the fender was pushed in about 1/4". Only cost $2000 to fix. Between me an my SO we have totalled 4 vehicles (including one motorcycle) via deer strikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
that isn't very bad. call a couple of dealerships and tell them your story and who they recommend to do the work with OEM parts. your insurance company cant force you to use anyone but who you choose.
What you see right there added up to over $5k on our 2004 Saturn Vue when the adjuster quit counting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just experienced exact front end damage as original poster to my 03 Sequoia with 300k mi. Travelers sent me to their recommended national collision shop and conveniently they quoted $4,500 for repair. Travelers said too much to repair (a percentage of value). Travelers offered to provide a check for $3,000 and I had to send my title to them and leave the truck with collision shop. NO WAY! Found another shop for $3,500 and fought with insurance that it was not a “total loss” and they changed positions to “cosmetic loss” which allowed me to keep vehicle and not go through salvaged title/state inspection of repairs, etc. in that scenario i received a check for $1,000 in repairs. Second shop allowed me to source parts and save more money. I went OEM on radiator support and condenser line, and aftermarket on headlights, turn signal bumper cover, Denso condenser and front bumper cover. Still cost me $2,000 out of pocket but at least I kept my ride. This took way more effort/time than expected and I was without my truck for a month through the process. Luckily covid allowed time to deal with. Good luck and don’t let the insurance company bully you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, my pretty baby went from super nice to smashed due to a run in with a deer. See attached pics.

This is my first accident in over 20 years, so I am not sure what to ask about, or look for when researching a body shop. I want to have it put back together right, with OEM parts when possible.

Also, does anyone know of a good shop with experience with Tundras in the Cincinnati area?

Thanks! View attachment 152324 View attachment 152325 View attachment 152326
2 YEARS AGO WHILE COMING HOME FROM A CAMPING TRIP, A GIRL RAN COMPLETELY THRU A STOP SIGN WHILE SHE WAS TEXTING . WE WAS PULLING OUR 32' FIFTH WHEEL, AND SHE CAUGHT THE BED OF THE TRUNDRA AND HER MOMENTUM CARRIED HER INTO THE TRAILER. IT SENT US ACROSS A DITCH CAUSING THE TRAILER TO TURN OVER, BUT THE TRUCK DID NOT BECAUSE THE BARS THAT HOLD THE FIFTH WHEEL HITCH TORE LIKE A PIECE OF PAPER. AFTER MUCH DISCUSSION THE INSURANCE CO. WOULD NOT TOTAL THE TRUCK. ($19,000 DAMAGE). THATS O.K., . I RENTED A TRUCK FOR 45 DAYS, AND THRU IN A FEW UP GRADES ON THE TRUNDRA. TOTAL CLAIM WAS OVER $38,000. AFTER IT WAS ALL SAID AND DONE, I CALLED THEM TO SEE IF THEY WANTED TO RECONSIDER THEIR DECISION NOT TO TOTAL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My son TOTALLED his truck. Insurance gave him $11,000 less the $1000 that he bought it back with. He stripped all of his big buck 4x4 parts which he sold for $6000 and used the $16000 to build a new project truck... Turning lemons into lemonade... Chap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts