Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Sequoia SR5, and am thinking about installing a rear view camera. I have the JBL 6-disc changer, not the NAV system, so I would either need to install a NAV system or install a separate LCD screen for the camera.

I've seen the cameras that mount to the license plate and in the keyhole, but I would like to put it up higher, like on top of the tailgate by the washer fluid jet, so I can get a downward view. I think that would be a better view to judge how far away I was some something, and also hooking up the hitch to a trailer. So for those of you that mounted it somewhere other than those 2 places:

1) where did you mount the camera?
2) what camera did you buy?
3) what screen did you buy?
4) where did you mount the screen? I don't see an ideal spot for it....maybe above and to the left of the rear view mirror. Or, since I don't use the sunglass holder (I have a sunroof, so only have one holder), I wonder if there is a way to mount it in that spot.

I haven't totally decided, but I think I'd like to get a wired (vs. wireless) model to avoid interference. And I also would keep this below $200.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
598 Posts
Costs more then $200 but Garmin makes a portable nav system that has a input for a back up camera. You could by a different type of camera that mounts where you want it. Plus, you can get bluetooth thru the nav also.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
There are some rear view mirrors with cameras that have a built in display which will come on when put in reverse.
Try Cabela's and check some other sites

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy4 - That's what I ended up doing.....a 3.5" screen built-in to the mirror. Spent way over $200 though......

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dave

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Heck you could go on ebay and buy one of those 90.00dollar ones. Ive heard they work and preform pretty good, if ya dont mind the look they just suction cup to the window or dash and then the camera attaches to your plates.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up buying a "Rearvision" kit from the dealer, which includes a Gentex mirror with a 3.5" display and a Rostra camera. The mirror has 3 video inputs, and 3 buttons to select them. Press one momentarily for the display to turn on for 20 seconds, or press it for 5 seconds or so for the display to remain on constantly. Turns on automatically when I put it in reverse, and turns off automatically within a few seconds after taking it out of reverse. I may add a second camera on the back of my trailer at some point, and plug it into one of the other inputs.

Both the camera and mirror look OEM, because they are, and the instructions were very straight forward. The camera is hardwired, and all the wires were cut to perfect length, and had connectors on all the ends. The kit also had all the little odds and ends you need, like T-splice connectors, self-adhesive foam tape, etc. The hardest part was snaking the wire through the rear quarter panel. Taking my grand 'ol time, triple checking things, and drinking a few beers, it took me the better part of a day.

Video quality is excellent, although as expected, it's not super easy to see in bright sunlight.

Total cost was ~$500. I think I could have saved a little by buying aftermarket, but not much. And I was confident the OEM kit would be high quality and look good, without attracting thieves.

Dave

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I put a Pioneer Nav with back up camera, blue tooth, and ipod hook-up. Ran me about $1200. Well worth the money. It even plays dvd's. It' is much better doing it this way because you now have a big screen for the back up and it's color!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts