Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
You should be able to buy for under $50 a battery jump starter like this one:

And it should have no trouble jump starting your truck.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,613 Posts
It all depends on how much you want to put into it. Portable jumpers are great and I've used them for years, but you have to keep it charged and remember to move it back and forth between the truck and the power cable which was why I moved up to an isolator and a 2nd battery. It costs about $300 to get the system setup (not including the spare battery), but once it is, it's wired into the charging system so the spare is charged by the alternator along with the primary, although the spare is not used as a part of the main circuit by way of the isolator. A switch in the cab opens the circuit on the isolator, allowing the electrical system to utilize the spare. It gets used to either start the vehicle when the main is dead or to assist the main on cold days. I've got shots of my setup in my gallery if you're interested.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like an interesting set-up. I was leaning more towards a jump starter to be able to have handy for all the vehicles in the family. Hoping members that owned 1 could chime in. I had 1 in the past from the Black and Decker outlet store and it fried.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I recently bought the 650 (cca?) one at Harbor Freight and so far it seems to be what I want. It is a pita to keep charged, but I mostly know when I'll need it and charge it accordingly. I don't recommend the 400 amp jobs. I always charge it when I go out in the boonies since it gets a little hot there and I don't want to have to walk out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mines a 650cca, don't understand this charging hassle they should come with a DC cable, just charge it in the truck. Mine has a charge life of 6 months and Ive used it 5 months after a charge so I know it lasts. It has a light, two 12v female ports and a 250psi compressor.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
You can also keep it in your truck, plugged into your cigarette lighter or even hard-plugged into a slot that only is hot when the ignition is on, it will always be charged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts