Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I purchased the truck with only 1 key/fob and I'd like to have an extra. I tried looking on the internet a while back, but there was a peculiar little dot that was either supposed to be on my key or not supposed to be on my key and the ones on the internet wouldn't work. (Can't remember the specifics.) Just wondering where I can get one that's not the dealership. Thanks!!

Terri

·
Registered
24 Posts
Terri,

Been there, done that... welcome!

Some careful shopping on eBay helped me (well, helped me help my girl friend and her 2002, actually)...

I got Toyota-branded transponder keys for like $13 from seller carkeysolution, and my local locksmith cut them for like two bucks each.

And I got a brand new wireless remote from seller keys_star (he sells both used and new remotes, but I splurged for new). Later I also found a very good used remote that looked like new and at a good price (must look at the photos and descriptions carefully or ask to see a photo of the actual remote). The number on the back of the remote can be helpful to verify you're buying the right spare.

I don't know about a "dot." Maybe you mean "chip" or transponder circuitry.

If you have a black master key, you're probably in luck. The gray valet keys complicate your strategy depending on year.

The year of your Sequoia is important to know to purchase the proper chip key blank as well as the proper wireless remote -- they both can vary by year. And of course the programming procedure varies.

Some early models evidently had a port-installed keyless entry which was different (with buttons offset on the fob) from the factory remote (which had buttons centered on the fob).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jim! Thankfully, I do have a black key. I will check out your links and hopefully have an extra set after nearly 4 years.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you recently bought it, maybe you can call or go back to the dealer / salesperson and say you really need it and they should have included a 2nd remote......

I know my dealer gave me an extra one and the guys in the shop had a bucket full of them, some looked new others were used and they re-programmed it free..

You could always mention that them helping you out now will keep them in mind when you look for another vehicle ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
The parts guys may have a bucket full but they aren't cheep keys. Programming runs $45.00 at our dealership plus like a $60.00 key. You could also get a metal black key cut if you don't have the Immobilizer system, which a parts guy can look up with your VIN. They should charge 9.95+tax for that. You have to bring in license and insurance card to validate the cutting of the key.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think Padron was basically suggesting an appropriate remote transmitter fob may be laying around at the dealer. Certainly a key being cut is a little different.

Really, any dealer should be responsible enough to make an effort to provide the owner with a spare regardless if they got one on trade-in, but perhaps that should also be part of the negotiations.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I paid over $100 for a spare key to be cut and programmed from the stealership. What a rip!

·
Registered
97 Posts
OK, so after looking all over and several forums, does anyone have the instructions on how to program a new transponder key from a master for a 2001 Sequoia limited? I'd really appreciate getting a hold of those instructions! Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK, so after looking all over and several forums, does anyone have the instructions on how to program a new transponder key from a master for a 2001 Sequoia limited? I'd really appreciate getting a hold of those instructions! Thanks.
I think this should help...

TOYOTA:SEQUOIA:2001 :: Programming key for your auto

Oops... I realize that's for the remote and not the key... Though I am not positive, I believe these are the instructions I used for the key programming... even though remote programming changes by year quite a bit early on because of the different systems, I believe the 2001 and 2002 keys program the same.

2002 key program instructions:

1.. Copy the cuts of the original working key onto the appropriate transponder blank.

2.. Enter the car and close all of the doors.

3.. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and accelerator pedals.

4.. Within five seconds, insert a working pre-programmed key into the ignition cylinder, and turn to the "on" position.

5.. Within fifteen seconds of turning the ignition, depress and release the accelerator pedal five times for a primary key. (Depress and release four times for a valet key.)

6.. Within twenty seconds, depress and release the brake pedal six times for a primary key. (Depress and release only times for a valet key.)

7.. Turn the ignition to the "off" position and immediately remove the key.

8.. Within ten seconds of removing the key, insert the new key and turn it to the "on" position.

9.. Within ten seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal once. The security light will then flash for 60 seconds and then turn off. When the security light stops flashing the programming should be complete.

10.. Start the vehicle to verify that programming was successful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts