Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2005 Tundra TRD off road package, I am new to trucks and I was wondering what I should look out for when buying a 2005 tundra. I test drove it and I noticed a bit of a ticking sound on acceleration, is this normal? Also when i was trying out the 4x4 i noticed that when I pressed the 4 low button nothing happened. Is there some way I am supposed to use the 4 low option? When I pressed the 2wd /4 High button it clicked in and had the green light on it. But when I pressed the 4 low button nothing happen didnt click in and didnt show a green light, is this normal? Is there anything else I should look out for when buying? thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
330 Posts
the ticking sound is common. I believe it could be cracked exhaust mani. or torn boot for your steering column allowing engine noise or the ticking sound of the injectors to be heard in the cab.

4 Low i think you have to be in 4hi then put in neutral and press the 4lo button. should go in then.
ya 4 hi, then neutral, then 4 low, sometimes it will take a second, flash then go solid green. mine has the ticking as well, ever since i bought it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ticking likely ='s cracked exhaust manifolds ='s expensive fix. Use this to get a better price on said truck, or go look for a different one. Not a reason to stay away from it, just know that it will bug you

·
Registered
137 Posts
The 05/06 Tundra's are solid trucks. They have most of the kinks worked out. Check for the ball joint recall. Ticking is common and has been attributed to several things, as seen in previous posts.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I have a 2005 DC, no 4WD, but no ticking either. It might be common, but not normal, I wouldn't buy a truck with a known issue that is expensive to fix. I would keep looking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always like to take a good look under neath the truck to see if it was offroaded and bounced of rocks. Also check to see if they have records of maintenance either from the dealer or other garage.
If your not familiar with trucks make sure the front diff has been maintained and the seals are good, cv boots good along with the transfer case.
It seems like people either bash the hell out of trucks or the get used like over sized sedan's, it's easy to tell them apart.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the ticking, might be an exhaust manifold about to go bad, or it could be the transmission, you really dont know. I bought a 2000 and the manifold had a crack, the dealer i got it from fixed it since it wouldnt pass inspection if they hadnt. I have the variable 4wd with 4 hi and 4 lo. to activate 4 lo you need to be sitting still or under 20 mph and im not sure if you need to be in 4 hi first or not. other things you need to look out for, is first and foremost is has it been in an accident, especially front end. check all the hoses, clamps, and engine parts, it anything looks new or newer than other parts, dont get this truck. if that all looks good, check the amount of rust on the frame and underneath of the truck. if you are at a dealer then they will clean this up pretty well. you are going to need to get under there and check it all out yourself. again if you are at a dealer, then never trust anything they tell you about the trucks history or condition... also people can hide accidents and keep them off carfax, so dont rely too heavily on that. another thing about the 4wd lo, read the owners manual to see how to turn it on properly and actually get it to go on. if it doesnt go on again dont get the truck, that could be a sign of the electronic transfer going bad, which can be caused by frame rail rust. my recommendation is to find a mechanic that you trust and get him to inspect it, noting all problems, defects and issues. dont let another dealer do this or especially the dealer selling the truck. proceed carefully, but i hope you find what you want and enjoy it. good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts