Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I posted in the off-topic area with not much response.

Okay here it is, my mom's murano got in an accident last saturday. The Murano was parked on the side of the street (she wasan't in the vehicle). Some lady thought she was in Drive, but was in Reverse; so she backed up into the Murano pretty hard, pushing the Murano into the Audi behind. Oil started dripping, so we had it towed to the nearest dealership.

The dealer/ insurance says it's our fault and the problem was there before. Something about a gasket not being replaced. But this leak was NOT there untill after that accident. They want us to prove it somehow, honestly I know much about engines. Don't even know what a gasket is. The insurance company/ dealer won't do anything about it and wants us to pay $2k for the repair.

My mom wants me to go with her tomorrow morning to the dealer to complain and pick up the diagnostic report, and move the Murano somewhere else for a second opinion.

I guess i'm asking, could this accident cause the gasket to break/ malfunction? Because whatever happened this oil leak was not there before the accident. We just want our Murano back to it's original condition before the accident, no more no less...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if you had a pic of the front end on the murano, that would make it a lot easier to give you some advice. but there really isnt a whole lotta info here to go on. but if there was no oil leaking on the ground before, and then the front end gets mashed in, and now theres oil everywhere. it seems pretty clear that the accident caused this. if the hit was bad, it could drive the radiator and fan, and everything back into the front of the engine. which couldve easily broken something.

but really we dont know what "gasket" is apparently leaking or anything. so its all just a stab in the dark.

but the one thing that doesnt make sense here, is why does it cost 2,000$ to replace this leaky gasket?? i assume everything else about the repair would be covered by the at fault persons insurance.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry, I posted in the off-topic area with not much response.

Okay here it is, my mom's murano got in an accident last saturday. The Murano was parked on the side of the street (she wasan't in the vehicle). Some lady thought she was in Drive, but was in Reverse; so she backed up into the Murano pretty hard, pushing the Murano into the Audi behind. Oil started dripping, so we had it towed to the nearest dealership.

The dealer/ insurance says it's our fault and the problem was there before. Something about a gasket not being replaced. But this leak was NOT there untill after that accident. They want us to prove it somehow, honestly I know much about engines. Don't even know what a gasket is. The insurance company/ dealer won't do anything about it and wants us to pay $2k for the repair.

My mom wants me to go with her tomorrow morning to the dealer to complain and pick up the diagnostic report, and move the Murano somewhere else for a second opinion.

I guess i'm asking, could this accident cause the gasket to break/ malfunction? Because whatever happened this oil leak was not there before the accident. We just want our Murano back to it's original condition before the accident, no more no less...
Unfortunetly I have been working in this industry for a while and 9.9 out of 10 times you dont see damage to the motor (or gaskets) during a collision. The only exception is when something like a fan or radiator support gets pushed into the block, even then gaskets dont typically fail. Upload some pics though, Id be happy to give you me two cents!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so today I followed my mom to the dealership and got the report.

It says word for word:
Technician and insurance adjuster verified upper engine oil pan gasket and oil cooler o-rings to be leaking engine oil. $1,988.00+ tax, by special order. Customer advised and declines repairs at this time. Advised customer to tow out vehicle, due to existing oil leakage condition.

These are all the so called recommended fixes by them aswell during the inspection:
-vehicle belt need replacement
-vehicle due for dealer recommended 60k maintenance
-recommended induction service
-transmission service/ repair
-vehicle coolant system needs repair or service
-differential needs service/ repair
-vehicle E.F.I. needs servicing
-power steering needs service/ repair
-hydraulic brake system needs service/ repair.

So we called a tow truck and had it towed to a local collision repair center we trust. The manager said dealers like to pull a bunch of sh!t off, in these situations. He also said even though if we had to fix this problem out of our own pocket, it would cost no where near as much. Body shop manager told us to claim it through traveler's insurance (the highlander's insurance) instead of our own mercury ins. He called Traveler's and they accepted liability. Set us up with a rental and we were out of there.

He also found no oil leaking, and the oil at the full level. He said they could've topped off the oil, not sure though. He also said gaskets don't really fail, if it did would've happened long time ago. Nissan says we are suppose to change the gasket at 60k miles, we are at 62k unfortunately. Body shop guy said he'd run the engine more and see where it's actually leaking from, he couldn't reproduce the leak. Anyways he said not to worry too much, he'll take care of everything with the insurance co.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Something smells fishy about this whole thing. Good luck.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
body shop guy said the area circled in red, there was something pushed into something (sorry I forget).

Im surprised how little damage there is to the front end when it got hit from the front. My mom did say the Highlander's back end was pretty banged up though. She took pics of the accident with her cellphone, i'll try to get those up here aswell.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

Got a call from the body shop. Traveler's insurance adjuster came out and estimated $3.5k in damages. While Mercury estimated $1.5k in damages + $500 deductible. So glad we claimed with Traveler's. My mom is so frustrated with Mercury, we're going to switch to another company.

He also said he still can't find an oil leak, but will keep trying. This is just bizarre, everyone at the accident saw the oil leaking, and towed it to the dealer with it leaking. Dealer says there is an oil leak and they can fix it for substantial money. We refuse the repair and take the car- there is no leak now? Dealership had to of done something without us knowing... Whether or not it's leaking now, parents are curious to find out what it was.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
This whole thing is kinda fishy. I'm glad things are working out though. Sounds like you wouldn't want to buy from that dealer again...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
JohnLee - check out Wawanesa insurance in San Diego... they have very good rate. I have them since 1999... both home and cars insurance.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My 2000 tundra is running rough,the check engine light is on, can anyone help.
Wrong section, wrong place to post too.

Go on 1st Gen Tundra and post it up on "New Thread"....

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Okay so today I followed my mom to the dealership and got the report.

It says word for word:
Technician and insurance adjuster verified upper engine oil pan gasket and oil cooler o-rings to be leaking engine oil. $1,988.00+ tax, by special order. Customer advised and declines repairs at this time. Advised customer to tow out vehicle, due to existing oil leakage condition.

These are all the so called recommended fixes by them aswell during the inspection:
-vehicle belt need replacement
-vehicle due for dealer recommended 60k maintenance
-recommended induction service
-transmission service/ repair
-vehicle coolant system needs repair or service
-differential needs service/ repair
-vehicle E.F.I. needs servicing
-power steering needs service/ repair
-hydraulic brake system needs service/ repair.

So we called a tow truck and had it towed to a local collision repair center we trust. The manager said dealers like to pull a bunch of sh!t off, in these situations. He also said even though if we had to fix this problem out of our own pocket, it would cost no where near as much. Body shop manager told us to claim it through traveler's insurance (the highlander's insurance) instead of our own mercury ins. He called Traveler's and they accepted liability. Set us up with a rental and we were out of there.

He also found no oil leaking, and the oil at the full level. He said they could've topped off the oil, not sure though. He also said gaskets don't really fail, if it did would've happened long time ago. Nissan says we are suppose to change the gasket at 60k miles, we are at 62k unfortunately. Body shop guy said he'd run the engine more and see where it's actually leaking from, he couldn't reproduce the leak. Anyways he said not to worry too much, he'll take care of everything with the insurance co.
Sounds like the typical dealership bs, I used to be a dealership service adviser so it's clear that the dealer is trying to jerk you guys around.

For such a small accident, the oil that could be leaking is from the engine oil cooler which is typically towards the front of the car that was damaged during the small collision (in front of the radiator, but not all cars have these). In terms of gaskets/seals needing replacing at 60k and all of a sudden at 62k they failed is unlikely. For example timing belts are recommended at 90k, I drove to 108k before I sold it and it was still running strong.

All this other stuff they recommended, is typical maintenance items and not repair related. I've had my trans fluid changed elsewhere and during my next visit to the dealership they recommended I change it, 99% of their recommendations are maintenance vs. repair and they recommend based solely on mileage not on anything they see. I'd stay away from that dealership from now on.

-vehicle belt need replacement-serpentine belt, repair not maintenance but completely unrelated to accident
-vehicle due for dealer recommended 60k maintenance-big money maker, no real work getting done
-recommended induction service-worthless unless your car is running rough and with today's gasoline it's very rare to need it
-transmission service/ repair-trans fluid drain and fill, maintenance not repair
-vehicle coolant system needs repair or service-engine coolant drain and fill, maintenance not repair
-differential needs service/ repair-maintenance not repair
-vehicle E.F.I. needs servicing-electronic fuel injection, same as "induction service", maintenance not repair
-power steering needs service/ repair-power steering flush, maintenance not repair
-hydraulic brake system needs service/ repair-brake fluid flush, maintenance not repair

This dealership let some lube tech go over the car and try to scare you guys into wasting your money on unneeded maintenance rather than looking for any real damage. Reminds me of a tech that I used to work with who was very good at actual repair work but would write a 2 page 'repair' order for every car he touched, before it even got on the lift. I would trash it every time and only sell the needed repairs. I wish a dealer would try that with me so I could get their dealer franchise rescinded.

BTW I'd like them to show me a picture of where there is an upper engine oil pan.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If there was a oil cooler like a few others have suggested, it may be possible that one of the lines popped off, resulting in leaking oil. The dealer probably re-attached it not knowing the adjuster was going to try to milk you, and now there is no leak .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts