Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am A new member to the Forum and I am in desperate need of ideas and hopfully a solution to my problem. I drive a 2005 Tundra SR5 Crew Cab V8 with 4 Wheel drive with 70k on it. I just had new tires put on one week ago (firestones) well the next morning I had a pretty bad stearing shake at 60 and above so I went back to STS and they rebalanced. Next day still shaking. Went back 2 days later another rebalance and you guessed it still shaking so I told them I want the tires off and so today I went back and upgraded to a set of TOYO'S awsome set of tires but still shaking and almost seems a little worse. Now I didn't mention in the beginning that my truck drove like a Cadillac with the 70k tires on it so needless to say i'm very confused. The shop manager did bring me into the garage when they were balancing the TOYO'S and showed me one of my rims was slightly bent and he informed me that I had two like that and two that were perfect but he made it seem like no big deal. Are these rims the root of my trouble could the old tires have worn with the bending and never showed any signes of trouble and now that I have new straight rubber on there the rims are acting out.

Thanks for taking the time to read my Tale of Frustration. Keith

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I would think that by having two different sets of tires on that would rule out the tires. I would try an alignment since it's only about $50. It may be the wheels and it is just exasperated by the added weight of the new tires.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well, when you say 'bent', do you just meen the edge of the rim, or is the whole wheel skewed? I would expect minor dings in the lip to be easily taken care of when it was balanced. You could try alignment. The old tires could have 'worn in' I suppose. Also if the new ones are a different size?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sorry, just saw your responses. So, the tire is the same size? What does 'more aggressive' mean? more 'off -roady'? Also, if your alignment if off by 'a hair', then it is still off. It may be that cumaltively, the new tire, the 'agressiveness', the dinged rim etc combined with the slightly off alignment might have put you over the edge.

Also, did he put the two 'good' rims on the front?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, just saw your responses. So, the tire is the same size? What does 'more aggressive' mean? more 'off -roady'? Also, if your alignment if off by 'a hair', then it is still off. It may be that cumaltively, the new tire, the 'agressiveness', the dinged rim etc combined with the slightly off alignment might have put you over the edge.

Also, did he put the two 'good' rims on the front?
Hey Fragman I just went back to STS today they had the two bent rims on the passenger side so they switched the front one with the drivers rear and I can say for sure that I feel almost all the vibration coming from the rear theres a light shaking in the stearing wheel but most of the shaking feels like it's from my seat to the back not so much in the front.
As far as the rims I only seen one on the balancer and it seemed to have a pretty good wobble ( in my opinion ) but they made it seem as if it wasn't that bad.
And the tires are more (off roady) compared to the stock ones I had on.
These guys told me to have a Road Force balancing done they seemed pretty sure it would take care of the shaking but I guess my question is should I spend $160.00 for the balancing or get two new rims??? I feel like I'm being pulled in two different directions.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hey Fragman I just went back to STS today they had the two bent rims on the passenger side so they switched the front one with the drivers rear and I can say for sure that I feel almost all the vibration coming from the rear theres a light shaking in the stearing wheel but most of the shaking feels like it's from my seat to the back not so much in the front.
As far as the rims I only seen one on the balancer and it seemed to have a pretty good wobble ( in my opinion ) but they made it seem as if it wasn't that bad.
And the tires are more (off roady) compared to the stock ones I had on.
These guys told me to have a Road Force balancing done they seemed pretty sure it would take care of the shaking but I guess my question is should I spend $160.00 for the balancing or get two new rims??? I feel like I'm being pulled in two different directions.
Road force balancing? $160???? What on earth is that? Wonder if you are being taken for a ride. I would take it to another place for a second opinion. If you are gonna shell out that kind of money, might as well take it somewhere that actually is successful at fixing issues like this. The track record at your currentplace doesnt lead me to think that spending another 160 there a good idea. New rims may not be muich more than that either. Take a look at craigslist or ebay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Road force balancing? $160???? What on earth is that? Wonder if you are being taken for a ride. I would take it to another place for a second opinion. If you are gonna shell out that kind of money, might as well take it somewhere that actually is successful at fixing issues like this. The track record at your currentplace doesnt lead me to think that spending another 160 there a good idea. New rims may not be muich more than that either. Take a look at craigslist or ebay.
Thanks Fragman that price is from my Toyota dealer they want $40 a tire but I plan on calling around for a better price. Thanks again for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts