Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 4x4 w/4.7L engine with about 125K miles (original owner). Recently my engine was 'murdered' by my 16yr old son at the direction of his mother. Seems the check engine light came on while he was driving it and he calls the house... wifey :ballchain:says those things come on all the time so just come on home since you're late already (I was in bed asleep):frusty:.....

Long story short the engine overheats 'big time' and stalls out. I get to it the next morning where it died ... put about 2+ gallons of water in the funky smelling radiator and to my surprise it starts!! Runs like hell but was able to drive it home (about 4 miles). At first I thought maybe it was a bad coil so got the code reader and sure enough said there were multiple misfires .. get a coil.. play round with changing out all the coils 1-1 to no avail.
Ended up taking it to the dealer where I've always had 'involved' maintenance done and they tell me it's a blown head gasket and they'd be happy to fix it for between 3500 and 5500 bucks depending on what they find along the way. Seems it got so hot that the top of the radiator melted so they're thinking the engine / heads may be warped.

So, I'm looking for alternatives. I know there are used engines and long block rebuilds available online at very reasonable prices (1300-2400$). What I'm uncomfortable with is choosing one sight unseen and having it shipped.

My question to the group here is... does anyone have any first hand knowledge and experience with any of the rebuild shops / used engine vendors that you could share with us good or bad.

Any other suggestions on how I should proceed? I really like my truck and was sick when I found out what happened. My son assumed I was going to blow my own gasket when he saw me the next morning but my wife had pre-empted me explaining what she had told him. And I couldn't get mad at her because we had just celebrated our 30th anniversary in a big way.... so I'm screwed and can't even get mad at anybody... I want my truck back!!

any help would be much appreciated.

dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
I manage a local automoitve recycler (salvage yard) I can get or help you get a good used low mile, tested engine. PM sent

·
Registered
68 Posts
that sucks man, best of luck, i have heard mixed stories about used engines, personally I would rather a fresh rebuild

·
Registered
2 Posts
dmcgee- did you find anything? I just had the same problem on my 2001 tundra and I am just starting to look and make a decision to buy used or get a re-built one. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I know the consensus on this board seems to be one of serious concern over used engines but I must disagree. I have personally installed many used engines of all types over the years with high success rates , only twice did the engine that was installed fail to be worthwhile and both times that was at the direction of someone else who wanted it installed even though I had concerns (smelly oil, rusty valve covers, poor storage etc.) Any reputable salvage yard should be able to hook you up with a nice engine for a lot less dough than a rebuild. A rebuilt engine is one that was worn out enough to be no good without the rebuild (think your engine or worse) so it's not without risk either, not all rebuilders are equal. Good luck whatever you choose and my condolences on your loss, hopefully your Tundra makes a full and speedy recovery. Oh, and make sure to check/replace the rear main seal and timing belt related parts while out if you go "used" and you can forget about those issues cropping up later) Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts