Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I tried to put my truck in REVERSE but the gear shifter just loosened up and did not engage. I then tried to shift the truck back into PARK but it would only go as far as REVERSE. I could not shift anymore so I just turned off the truck while it was in REVERSE. Now my truck won't start. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have a 2001 2WD V8 with 162000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
The shift linkage might have broken off at the transmission housing. Crawl under and look on the driver's side of the transmission. There is a cable that attaches via a linkage and pawl to the shift arm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked under there and the cable/linkage is loose. I also found a bolt on the ground and can see where it came off. Can I just screw it back into place? Do you have any suggestions? If so, I just moved to AZ and I don't have any tools so now I just gotta find a wrench.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
I just screwed it back in and now my truck starts AND shifts better than before. Thanks!
Hey! There you go! Now you're on your way to becoming a shadetree mechanic (and a TS addict...).

Glad it was something as simple as that. Make sure you periodically clean/lube this linkage, especially if you get offroad.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i imaging it didnt start because it was in gear, must be a safety
Correct, automatic cars will only turn on in Park or Neutral. Now you also can't pull it out of park without your foot on the brake.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This site is awesome!!!

Some shady mechanic would have said: "The transmission is toast. I will need to rebuild it."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts