Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Its been a couple month of intermittent power loss/bogging issues with my 2006 Tundra DC. Long story short it feels as if I'm towing a boat in the lower rpms, revs in the higher rpms. Also when going up hill all the sudden no power and struggles to climb. It will shift, but no power. Looking at my scan reader in live feed mode I see my Spark Advance is in the negatives when the problem happens. It will stay around -10 to 0 spark advance. Cursing down the road spark advance is around the teens up to 34 degrees, all over but never negative spark advance. When i turn the truck off for the night and start it in the morning it feels fine, then all the sudden its like a switch is flipped and no power, and negative spark advance. Even under heavy acceleration there is hesitation.

I have changed spark plugs, air filter, cleaned MAF, new fuel pump and filter, new VVti solenoid's, PVC valve, fuel pressure regulator, new rear o2 sensors, new tranny filter and oil. I even tried jumping the fuel pump relay to trick the pump into full throttle mode. I can't seem to figure it out. It ran great back in August, we took a 4k mile road trip all over the western states and never had a problem. Came back home, the next week had a wedding in Mendocino, coming home going up a hill from HWY1 about 5 mins up the switch flipped and the bogging happened. From then it hasn't been the same. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get yourself an ARB locker and hit a deer, it will run better I promise. :cool:

Long time no see buddy. Does it misfire or throw codes?
Hahaha hey buddy! ARB and deers are great together! Been too long! Hope all is well. I might just come over, pretty slow here now. No check engine lights or misfires. I think it may be my knock sensor, got two new ones coming tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 v6 2wd tundra thats been doing the same thing for years intermittently. its almost like a limp mode. im still leaning towards throttle body level sensor (not throttle body position sensor) which toyota wants seven hundred dollars for or a computer electronic problem.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the intake manifold, and replaced the knock sensors. In the V of the engine I found old mice nests. Seems like the previous owner had this problem before. The knock sensor wire harness on the passenger side has been repaired, looks like mice chewed the wires and whom ever used butt connectors to spice the wires. I cut and soldered the wires together with heat shrink. That should be a better connection. I got everything back together and started the truck to find gas leaking from the fuel injectors where they go into the engine. I had a feeling they would leak, so I have new O-rings on order for the injectors, which I should have done and not reused old ones. What happens when you are in a hurry. I ll let you all know how the truck runs in a few days.

Talk about good timing. At the Homedepo the other day I ran into another fellow Tundra owner, he really liked my truck and said he had an 05 he missed. I told him my problems and he said he had the same thing happen to his 2005. No check engine lights, no one could figure it out, replaced alot of parts, and in the end he replaced the knock sensors and that fixed it. Drove fine down the flat road, but hit a hill or need more power then the problem happened. So hopefully this is it!

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Hope that does it, you'll need all the power you can get to properly mold your bumper around a deer, plastic ones flex and pop back if not done correctly haha!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truck is fixed and drives better than i have ever felt it! It was the knock sensors!! Looked liked the previous owner had issues with mice, the knock sensor wire on the driver side was taped together. The wires were cut and butt connectors were used to repair where a mice chewed. I cut the but connectors out and soldered the wires together. Cleaned all evidence of mice, and put it all back together. So if anyone has loss of power and no check engines lights, change your knock sensors!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts