Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My uncle has a 2003 Sequoia. He loves it except for one thing. He says he hates his low capacity gas tank because it only holds 12 gallons. I honestly did not believe him until I went to the gas station with him last week to fill up (his gas light was on) and can you believe that it filled up with $35!!!

My question is, can this be possible? I thought that Sequoias had the same gas tank that Tundra's have. My 2006 Tundra has a 26 gallon gas tank, so I figured Sequoias had the same too.

Is it possible to swap a 26 gallon gas tank from a Tundra to a Sequoia?

Help me out guys,
Thanks

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Something must be wrong with the fuel level sender (or whatever it's called). Mine has never been correct, but I can tell you mine is not that far off! My gas light usually goes on at around 20 gallons. When I fill it up, it usually shows just below full...maybe an 1/8th below the full line. So, my guess is that someone put something in the tank (rocks, toys...who knows?) or something internally wrong? Someone else may chime in, but they didn't put that small of a tank in it from the factory.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sequoia has 26 gallon tank. My low-fuel light comes on when I have approximately 5 gallons left.

Something is wrong with that one. Sensor is bad or sender/level indicator is stuck or bent in incorrect position inside tank.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess I'm gonna have to look under my truck to see the size of the gas tank and then compare to the one in my uncle's Sequoia.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks for your replies so far guys.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I agree with everyone else should be closer to 22 or 26 gallons.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking around the web and couldn't fine one....anyone have a picture of a 2003 Sequoia's gas tank?

·
Registered
5 Posts
2003 Limited here in Alberta, Canada... around a 90+ litre / 20+ U.S.G tank on ours... I wonder if the truck ever bottomed out causing a crushed tank - and thus providing a smaller allowable volume? My complaint is that it is almost $100.00 each time we fill up!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Your uncle's tank has a larger capacity than 12 gallons. Think about it, you could only drive 180 miles between fill ups. No engineer intheir right mind would design something as paltry as that. The sending unit in this gen Sequoia's fuel tank is notorious for going out. Odds are that your uncle's sending unit is out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your uncle's tank has a larger capacity than 12 gallons. Think about it, you could only drive 180 miles between fill ups. No engineer intheir right mind would design something as paltry as that. The sending unit in this gen Sequoia's fuel tank is notorious for going out. Odds are that your uncle's sending unit is out.
Ok, makes sense. Whats the sending unit? Where can I buy that part, and how much is it?

:ts:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just like someone else mentioned - before you buy a new sending unit double check the tank is not smashed in on the bottom, this can and does happen sometimes.

Also find out if there is a TSB, I had a 99 4Runner that all of a sudden always said full, the dealer said Toyota had a TSB for the instrument panel losing calibration and replaced it no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts