Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key with the black plastic coating on it broke at the top at the key loop. now i have to go get a key made i want to know can i go to the local hardware shop and get a key made or is it like ford and gm and have to get the dealer to make one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hmm, i also have this problem with one of my keys. i was thinking the metal one i got was a "valet" key, but maybe its just a regular spare. it has a toyota logo etched into it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my search is not working thanks to my computer. dont you think i would have done that if i could. you dont have to post any thing if you are just going to be a pain in my butt. you could just stay out or even help out by saying something helpfull.
thanks for the link thow

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a spare made at the local hardware store - they made two one worked the other did not. Cost like three bucks or something.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
You can have a US Tundra key made anywhere (US 1st Gen Tundra's are non chipped). The pic included shows which key is the valet key. The pic is from an 06 DC Owners Manual. It's the shape of the key that tells you which one is the valet.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is the black end the one with three buttons, one green? If so, you can get a new cap for it at the dealership for about $14 if I remember correct. If you just want a metal blank you can get it from anywhere. I'd just pay $10 and get one from the dealership though. Takes about 5 minutes if they aren't swamped

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can have a US Tundra key made anywhere (US 1st Gen Tundra's are non chipped). The pic included shows which key is the valet key. The pic is from an 06 DC Owners Manual. It's the shape of the key that tells you which one is the valet.
thanks. look like mine is not the valet but a spare.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
my search is not working thanks to my computer. dont you think i would have done that if i could. you dont have to post any thing if you are just going to be a pain in my butt. you could just stay out or even help out by saying something helpfull.
thanks for the link thow
Did you READ the thread that I put there for an answer before you fired off your snippy response. :cop:
I GAVE you an answer and I GAVE you easier instructions on HOW TO SEARCH, for future reference. Pretty sure all of that was HELPFUL. You're welcome. :boink:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
you dont have to post any thing if you are just going to be a pain in my butt. you could just stay out or even help out by saying something helpfull.
thanks for the link thow
Tips for narrowing down search results is a "pain in your butt" and not helpful? :beatsme: Wow.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Is the black end the one with three buttons, one green? If so, you can get a new cap for it at the dealership for about $14 if I remember correct. If you just want a metal blank you can get it from anywhere. I'd just pay $10 and get one from the dealership though. Takes about 5 minutes if they aren't swamped
Pretty much this. It's cheap enough where you don't have to go to Wal-Mart to have a key made. You will save maybe $10, but I would rather get an original Toyota key.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I like turtles.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts