Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have the slight leakage from the slip yoke at the back of the transmission, I picked up some WS fluid from the dealer to top off the little bit of fluid that has been lost since the leak started. I removed the fill plug and then proceeded to remove the overflow plug. I didn't expect anything to come out from the overflow, but much to my suprise, what drained out was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 24-25oz. Can someone please explain why that is? I figured if I have been losing some fluid over time, none should be coming out at all, correct?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody???:help:

Only thing I can think of why fluid would be coming out of the overflow would be that maybe it was overfilled when I had it completely flushed by the dealer approx. 42,000 miles ago? I sort of saw the procedure from a distance when the truck was up on the lift. As far as I could tell, all fluid exchange was done at the front of the truck, which I'm guessing is the trans cooler line. I'm almost 100% sure that the fill, drain or overflow plugs were not touched at all.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No hard shifting or hunting for gears that I'm experiencing. I installed the overflow plug as soon as the fluid slowed to a slow drain. Should I just leave it alone now, or try and add some more through the fill hole only to have it start leaking out again immediately? I bought 4 quarts of the WS fluid and I figured I'd return all 4 to the dealer if its not necessary to open any of them.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi those threads don't show as far as i can tell a exact location of the filler tube for the 05.
until someone that knows how to take a picture & posts it, where exactly it is- we all are in the dark.
i can see how if they use the lines can over fill it very easy. since there is no way to measure it.
& they have a machine with a 55gallon drum that pump's it in.

just like the oil, except toyota has a dip stick to check the oil.
1 of, if not the stupidest toyota idea's, to date.
gorilla

·
Registered
917 Posts
hi those threads don't show as far as i can tell a exact location of the filler tube for the 05.
until someone that knows how to take a picture & posts it, where exactly it is- we all are in the dark.
i can see how if they use the lines can over fill it very easy. since there is no way to measure it.
& they have a machine with a 55gallon drum that pump's it in.

just like the oil, except toyota has a dip stick to check the oil.
1 of, if not the stupidest toyota idea's, to date.
gorilla
Gorilla, it was designed to never be worked on by a non ASE mechanic . Just like a manual tranny has no dipstick. It is a great design as you hear of almost zero failures of the tranny.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You don't need to be an ASE mechanic to work on anything.

My teenage daughter can change the ATF in a non-dipstick equipped Toyota with a little supervision. All it requires is common sense.

These trannies fail at the same rate as any other. And, since they tend to lack maintenance, they fail earlier than they should.

Your truck should be on a level surface, and running at correct temp, when topping off. If it drained out, it was either too hot, the vehicle wasn't running, or vehicle wasn't level enough. If you're lucky, some clueless ASE dealer tech overfilled it during the new vehicle prep.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it drained out, it was either too hot, the vehicle wasn't running, or vehicle wasn't level enough. If you're lucky, some clueless ASE dealer tech overfilled it during the new vehicle prep.
Yeah, I think that was why I was getting so much draining out of the overflow. I was checking the level with the engine off...big difference!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts