Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have a 2002 Tundra SR5 with the factory optional P265/70R-16 tires and was looking into some new wheels.

I really like the wheels Enkei made for the XSP Tundras but know they are hard to find. So I went to Enkei's site and found some similar looking ones you can find anywhere, the RT6 models. I even downloaded the diagram from their site to see if they had my bolt pattern and bore diameter. They do, a 6x139.7 bolt pattern and 108mm bore diameter, Enkei part number 25229083SM. These are the 20 inch ones, which are listed as having a 12 on the offset for all the wheels of the style in that size. Yet another site claims to have them with a 0 offset Or a 12 offset. That site is: Buy 20x9 rims enkei rt6 wheels Machined w/ Silver color. enkei rt6 20x9 machined w| silver wheels at WheelsNext.com

My question is, can I get these rims and the tires one site recommends for them, a 265/50/60 and they still fit on my truck? Would I need to get a 12 or (if it exist) 0 offset?

Or would the 20 inch rim not fit at all and the biggest I could get be a 18 inch wheel? I know the 18's have a 0 offset. I'm not really sure exactly what offset or backspace is and wonder if it would cause a problem with my truck.

I have attached the PDF from Enkei on the RT6 wheels to show the specs on them as well as this site that further explains their specs: Enkei 25229083SM - Enkei RT6 Silver Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I see that all of the RT6 Rims are not hub centric and wonder if this would cause a problem as well?

Thanks, I know this is a weird/complicated one. I would really appreciate the help.

-Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
My question is, can I get these rims and the tires one site recommends for them, a 265/50/60 and they still fit on my truck? Would I need to get a 12 or (if it exist)[ /QUOTE]

I prefer hub centric wheels and a positive offset because 9 inch wheels are going to stick out from the fenders especially with 0 offset unless you want that look or have flares. I think you probably want 265/50R20 tires which can be more expensive than 18s

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. So lug centric is a go.

aggreX, I meant 265/50/R20, somehow I put that 60 in there. My factory wheels are 265/70/R16 so they would have the same width as the new tires. But which offset would have them closer into the wheel wells? The 12 or 0? And would they get to close to the spindle arm if they were closer in?

Much thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My factory 7" steelies were +15 and my new 8.5" wheels are +10 which helped keep some of that new width in the wheel well leaving a bit out the fender. Going zero can look nice but it will bump you out an additional amount depending upon your new rim width.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
If it's a 9" wheel width, 0 offset would be equal to 4.5" backspace. +12 I THINK would be about 5"..... unless I'm backwards in which case it would be about 4"backspace.

With a sawzall, anything fits.:heh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I have the factory 7" wheels on now with that +15. The aftermarket ones have a 18 inch wheel that is 8.5" wide like yours. They have either a 0 or a 12 offset. Considering the 8.5 inch ones fit on yours with a 10 offset the 12 offset on the ones I am looking at should work and not stick out so much right?

What size tire do you have?

The weird thing is that the width of the tires with my factory 7" wheels is 265mm and the width of the recommended wheels for the 9" (20" diameter) aftermarket rim is also 265mm tire width. The tires recommended for the 18 inch aftermarkets are 255mm so they are less wide than the factory wheels, but only by like 10mm.

The main thing is that I just wanted to know if I could put 20x9 inch wheels with either a 0 or 12 offset on my truck, and which offset would poke the wheels out the well less. And if I couldn't get 20 inch wheels to fit then the same question for the 18x8.5 inch wheels.

And which offset brings the tires into the well, negative or positive?

Tundrunk: that backspace info sounds right to me, its about 5.5" with the +12 offset. Would that fit on my truck?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
5.5" is too much I think. Even on no kind of lift I think you will rub on the upper arm or just on the frame when you turn. Ny gut says go with 0 offset. Tough to say, I don't have 20's so it's hard to think of where things will line up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's probably right. I'm probably going to go to a tire shop and ask them what they think would work. But chances are its going to be 8.5x18 inch wheels with either a 0 or +12 offset. Would either work? Which would poke out less?

I know that the tires they put on 18 inch wheels are 255/55/R18 which lowers the ride height some and throws off the speed, not my biggest concern but I wonder if I can get taller tires? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
300 Posts
On any wheel upgrade, you should try to stay close to the stock offset as much as possible. A 12 mm offset will change the center of wheel only 3 mm, which is fine. Anything more drastic will change your suspension geometry and that is never fun.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
silet, sounds like a plan. I talked to a guy at a body shop today and he said the same thing. So looks like 9x20 inch wheels most likely. I will probably order from wheelsnext.com because they have packages with tires and install kits and a free return policy.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Depending upon what you want your Tundra to look like either 18 or 20 should fit especially if your overall tire circumference is similar in a non-lifted truck. Using the 265/70R16 as reference the 265/50R20 and 265/60R18 will be similar in overall circumference. Check out the 275/60R18 for more tire height. Positive offset is stock so keep that in mind if you want to keep the tires in the wheel well though zero can look pretty aggressive too. Get some pics up

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good. Will do when they come in.

I called a tire shop online and they say the 20's will fit no problem. Now, what brand tire to get?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts