Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay fellas... you might remember I had a tough time finding an aftermarket "Seat-Heater" switch that would fit nicely into our dash...

So, I bought some OEM seat-heater switches from Toyota, and I'm gonna try to wire it into the aftermarket heater harness. The aftermarket harness uses 4 wires:

RED: 12V +
BLACK: Ground
Yellow: 12v turn-on lead
Blue: 12v output (regulated for variance, ie 0-5 setting).

The switch I bought was similar to the OEM switch, where-as it had a dial to select the heat level, ie 0-5... so as long as the Toyota switch will do the same, it MAY work with the harness.

SO -- HERE'S WHAT I NEED FROM YOU GUYS!

I need to know what the pins on the back of the stock OEM switches correspond with. Hopefully, someone with the switch can pop it out & describe which color wires go to what pins, and then hopefully someone else has access to the tech-stream, and can figure out which wires go where. The switches should arrive tomorrow, so hopefully someone can help out soon!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if nobody has a wiring schematic for the switch, i can probably pull my meter out and check it in a few days. but im stuck working for awhile. sorry i cant help you out right away.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^ No prob, thanks for the offer, and I'll take u up on it if nobody has answered by then.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Here's the wiring diagram. I hope this answers your question because I have never seen one of the switches and the pinout is not painfully obvious from the diagram.:beatsme:.

Attachments

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mendosy (tried to send pts, but have to wait!)... I appreciate the diagram, but I hate trying to figure out their color codes!

I don't have the switch yet, so I'm not sure what the terminals look like either. Maybe Mustang can make sense of it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
2239 where did you get the switchs and how much, have wanted to do mine since new, to get rid of the seat side switch that is "port installed". Mine has open wiring under the seats. Gonna look at Mendosy's schematic...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just remembered how much I hate schematics...............

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL - Actually, you can find them at Partznet for around $46/each... I bought them off ebay though - they were part of a Sequoia Dash/Climate-control piece. I paid $112 after shipping for it. I may try to find the other parts and add the digital climate-control to my truck - there's a great thread on here that lists the parts needed to upgrade from our SR5 dash to the Digital one, but it's not exactly cheap!

If I decide the cost is too much, I'll just sell the dash piece, and try to recoup the cost of the switches.

Again, I don't know for sure that this WILL work... just hoping. Once I get the switches and have a look at the pins, I'll have a better idea on how to interpret the wiring schematics (hopefully)

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I just remembered how much I hate schematics...............
At least the Toyota version of them!!:eek:
What is really confusing is that the driver's side switch apparently has a 10 pin connector and the passenger's side has an 8 pin connector. That means that the connections are different for the two sides.
Does your truck have the wiring harness for those switches??

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My truck seats are wired, with connectors, but they are both manual seats, so nothing's actually being used. However, I don't know if I have the heater-switch harnesses behind the dash. At least, I haven't seen anything that look like them back there, but then again, I don't know what the pins look like yet, so I could be wrong. Having those connectors would help, so I could then try to splice them to the aftermarket harness... They should get here today & I'll post some pics so we can try to figure this out. I think this would be a pretty good mod, and at a total cost of around $190 so far, it's not too bad (if it works as/is).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My truck seats are wired, with connectors, but they are both manual seats, so nothing's actually being used. However, I don't know if I have the heater-switch harnesses behind the dash. At least, I haven't seen anything that look like them back there, but then again, I don't know what the pins look like yet, so I could be wrong. Having those connectors would help, so I could then try to splice them to the aftermarket harness... They should get here today & I'll post some pics so we can try to figure this out. I think this would be a pretty good mod, and at a total cost of around $190 so far, it's not too bad (if it works as/is).
a guy on tundratalk put in aftermarket seat heaters. and was going to hook them up to the OEM switch. he said that the harness was all there behind his dash. that was back in febrauary, and he never came back to update, if he had got the OEM switches and hooked them up yet. but apparently the harness is all there, so there should be no problem for it to work, if you splice it all together.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I checked my truck and DO NOT have the connectors under the seats. If you have them, then probably the rest of the harness is there also.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, here's the Dash A/C Panel I bought off a Sequoia... as well as the Heater-Switches. My camera had a tough time focusing on the 6-pins on the back of the switches, so I added a diagram of the pins.

There are 6 pins going into the switches, and I need to know what the wires correspond with! Thanks again...

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^ Thanks Ton-Draw (pts sent). Wow...ok... I'll try to look at that wiring schematic and attempt to figure this out. I really hate wiring diagrams! :(

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL - Okay, I must be slow, cause when I compare the pics of the harness wires, and the wiring schematics, I have NO FRIGGING CLUE what to make of this! Anyone want to try labeling these as to their function?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
^^ Thanks Ton-Draw (pts sent). Wow...ok... I'll try to look at that wiring schematic and attempt to figure this out. I really hate wiring diagrams! :(
for some reason the schematic will not open for me. it just says file not found. otherwise i could tell you what all the pins are for pretty quick, when i get up for work tomorow.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
for some reason the schematic will not open for me. it just says file not found. otherwise i could tell you what all the pins are for pretty quick, when i get up for work tomorow.
Yeah, please do... I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow if possible.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah, please do... I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow if possible.

if someone can post a working link for the schematic, id be more than happy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts