Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna be running 35’s with a 6 inch lift on my 2010 DC 5.7 and I have a few concerns before I get going on..​
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I know with bigger tire size comes certain changes. Ive been told that im going to be wasting more gas and due to higher rpms im also gonna put more wear on my engine. I was recommended by a friend to change my rear gear to a 4.88. Can someone recommend me a place online or a local shop in so cal that would have what im looking for? im assuming from some of my research that im gonna need a 10.5 rear with a 4.88 ratio.. please correct me if im wrong.​
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]What are the affects of this ratio change? Will it improve my mpg and my acceleration?​

3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Also with tire change I understand that my speedometer is gonna need to be recalibrated. Is there a handheld I need to buy or would a professional tire shop be able to take care of this for me? Also is there anything else that im going to need reconfigured or recalibrated?​

These are my main concerns as of now. As I go along I might have more questions. I searched and searched online and found very little information on rear gear changes for 5.7 tundras so im hoping you guys can help me out. Any information I get is greatly appreciated!​

·
Registered
43 Posts
No way do you need new gears, especially if you have the 4:30. That is why you haven't found anything online.

Hypertech makes an inline calibration tool to correct the speedo. Most people don't do it because it really isn't that far off.

You will likely want to do a zero point calibration at your dealer so that the vsc system isn't always going off on tight curves in the road. (HWY on-ramps and such)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way do you need new gears, especially if you have the 4:30. That is why you haven't found anything online.

Hypertech makes an inline calibration tool to correct the speedo. Most people don't do it because it really isn't that far off.

You will likely want to do a zero point calibration at your dealer so that the vsc system isn't always going off on tight curves in the road. (HWY on-ramps and such)
hmm.. okay that sounds good since im not diggin the extra expense to change something. The only real reason im up for changing it is if my mpg and acceleration really suffer. i do alot of driving each day and i LOVE my trucks power id really hate to loose any. What i maybe plan to do is drive around for a few weeks before i decide if i like or hate the mpg and/or acceleration. If im not happy with how things are and a gear change sounds promising, im going for that gear change.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
hmm.. okay that sounds good since im not diggin the extra expense to change something. The only real reason im up for changing it is if my mpg and acceleration really suffer. i do alot of driving each day and i LOVE my trucks power id really hate to loose any. What i maybe plan to do is drive around for a few weeks before i decide if i like or hate the mpg and/or acceleration. If im not happy with how things are and a gear change sounds promising, im going for that gear change.
You will definitly loose some power due to the new much heavier tires. My tires are only 34" and I'm using the stock rims and I lost a little power. Don't worry about the gears, I don't even think they make any for our truck. You will be fine. You can always add intake and exhaust down the road for a little extra power and mpg's

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will definitly loose some power due to the new much heavier tires. My tires are only 34" and I'm using the stock rims and I lost a little power. Don't worry about the gears, I don't even think they make any for our truck. You will be fine. You can always add intake and exhaust down the road for a little extra power and mpg's

Good stuff! im curious to know though if anyone has infact changed their rear gear. im curious to know how the power and mpg compare to keeping things stock and if theyve had any problems. i have a friend who lifted his FJ he said changing the gears was one of the best upgrades hes made on his truck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would be curious about mpg too.

4.88 Gears would cause you to lose top end mpg, I would think. Most of my driving is highway so I'm not sure that would help.

I lost mpg with the 35's but even with the same tires I lost another 1mpg going from a 4" to 6" lift. I guess wind resistance is also playing a factor not just tires. Gears wouldn't really offset that.

I think I saw a thread of a locker being created and it sounds like 4:88 will be offered. So you may be able to get gears if you want.

Other than mpg I think if you run around for a couple of weeks you won't feel the need to change gears based on power.

Edit: oh ueah, I think the fj also comes stock with 3.73 gear ratio so he would definitely notice a bigger difference than you.

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Small 35" tires and the tow package 4.30 gears do fairly well. Still, you will lose some acceleration potential due to various factors.

We are awaiting quotes for gears, hopefully we don't run into a situation like with the LSD, where the relatively small order number drives the price to high for many. 4.56 and 4.88 ratios are under consideration.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I usually turn the traction control nannies off so I won't be interrupted if I need to put my foot down. As for the 35's with the 4:30 gearing....u should be just fine. Especially when you catch the rpm band in the 3500 to 4500 range that's when you can really feel that torque.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Get the hypertech and you wont notice much difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweet! u know what i think thats the way im gonna go.. im just gonna get the hypertech to recalibrate the speedo, go to longo toyota to do the zero point calibration, and just beef up my power with an aftermarket intake and exhaust. does anyone know if they make a tornado, throttle body spacer or something similar to one of those for the new model tundras? i had a TB spacer for my 2003 mustang and i can tell u it made a VERY noticable difference in mpg and a bit in throttle response. id love to get one of those for my tundra if i can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My avg gas consumption was 14.1 litres per 100 km's stock after 35 inch tires and 6" lift it went to 19.1 (11.1mpg)no noticeble loss on acceleration i use "s" mode lots to keep rpms up. I also use my garmin gps for speedometer, dash one is off by 6-9 km/h hope that gives you some info...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Honestly, anything higher than 4.30 and you'll be losing mpgs on the highway. You will be at a much higher rpm at those speeds. I have managed though with my 37's to run 90mph @ 1800rpm. Its so awesome to be getting better gas mileage with bigger tires lol.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have managed though with my 37's to run 90mph @ 1800rpm.
I also notice that i run lower in the rpm band at higher speeds. I suppose this is only possible with the larger diameter tires and not having the speedo calibrated for the larger tires. My speedo is off by about 5 mph with the 35's im runnin. This might be an advantage and it might not.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah mine's 7 off once I'm in the 70's. Its a good thing since that gives me a bit more time before I run out of warranty ;)

Its fun comparing what my truck calculates as mileage versus my gps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also notice that i run lower in the rpm band at higher speeds. I suppose this is only possible with the larger diameter tires and not having the speedo calibrated for the larger tires. My speedo is off by about 5 mph with the 35's im runnin. This might be an advantage and it might not.
by 5mph off do you mean your speedo reads 5mph more or less than what ur actual speed is?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I changed the gears when I had 35's on my F150. Made a huge difference. It brought it back to feeling stock. Don't forget that when you go big with the tires and don't change you gears it also affects you transmission shift points for the worse. I didn't think anyone made gears for the Tundra yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts