Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys ive searched spacer vs coil-over, lift options etc and ive learned that spacers, while cheap, are a bad idea and that a coil-over ( toytec or 5100's) are a much better and still reasonably priced idea but i am confused. I remember reading that spacers are bad for a few reasons. The reasons that concern me are damage and wear related. I read that ball joins and boots/cv joints can get trashed over time from spacers. They say that a coil over is a much better idea but what i don't understand is WHY??? I cant find info on why a spacer is bad but a coil-over is good and doesn't also hurt the ball joints, cv joints, boots etc. its seems to me that a coil-over would lift and there for also put these parts at odd angles also causing damage as a spacer?! Can you guys explain it to me a little better and simpler as i cant find answers to all my questions in one place and lots of people have different opinions in each topic ive searched. I am strictly looking for a better stance and wanna do some 285/75/16's. My truck is a 2001 and is due ties and some shocks here soon as the ride is diminishing. Id like to do it all at once and in a fashion that wont damage or cause unnecessary wear on my baby!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
When you install spacers on top of your stock 'struts' you are extending the amount that the suspension droops however thick that the spacer is. This puts your upper balljoint at an angle that it was not designed to be at causing it to prematurely fail. (from what i understand the stock balljoint can actually go about another Inch, but no more than that.)

When you add 5100's or coilovers that are designed for the tundra the maximum droop of the suspension is not increased any more than an inch(making sure your balljoint angle is still safe), they instead move the coil seat upward on the shock body, increasing (sometimes) the preload of the spring and causing the strut assembly to not have to compress as much at normal ride, giving you lift.

OOPS Sorry, i noticed that this was an old post that was spammed ;(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.