Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I busted one of my rear shocks on my 2006 Sequoia Limited. Been a bad couple months for car costs, so I'm looking to just do a bit at a time.

I was curious if I'm looking to go eventually with a 2.5" lift or so, what kind of shocks should I put on the rear?

Everyone seems to adore the 5100 Bilsteins, so if I go with their 0-1" Rear shocks, can I later come back and throw in the 2.5" lift coils on the back? or will I have to get different shocks for that coil lift?

Long of it is, I'm looking for 2-3" lift front and rear. Looks like the 5100 fronts are a good option, but if I'm only doing the back shocks for now, is there a shock I can use that will work now with stock springs and front, but also work later with airbags or a new spring or something to level out the 2-3" lift?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wish I could offer some input but instead I'm in the same situation so I was excited to see this post. I have the rear air suspension and the driver's side is leaking. Wanting to convert the rear to standard stuff but don't have the funds for a full blown lift at the moment. Best of luck with your situation and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will chime in soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, you need to get the correct length of shock. If you are getting spacers, you could probably get away with putting the longer shocks on now. If you hit a huge dip and bottom out your suspension, you could bottom out the shock. This could either bend the shock, shear a mounting bolt, or break off a mounting tab. But shocks usually have more travel then the suspension system will so you should be good. Try Bilstein's website and see if they tell you what the travel range is on that specific shock for 2"-3" lift vs. the stock height.

I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing you are but I'm waiting to install it all at once. But I don't have a broken shock so... And I'm still deciding between the Bilsteins or Fox.:grin2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. Good to know.

As far as I know the 0-1” is the only Bilstein for the rear of a 1st gen sequoia.

Maybe I’ll look at Fox or another option... Anyone use spacers on the rear to achieve lift and still feel comfortable off roading? Heard some guys are very anti-spacers for doing any hard 4x4-ing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The main reason for people hating the spacers is because they don't gain you extra travel and articulation like a full lift kit would. If you aren't going to be doing much serious off-roading or just playing on dirt/mud roads, spacers do fine. Most do it for looks and to gain clearance for larger tires. It's also much cheaper than a full lift kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts