Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Truck Needs New Shocks

I know this has been covered, ad nauseum, but here goes anyway.......

I have a 2005 Double Cab SR5 with 120,000 miles and I need new shocks for it. I have the factory 17" wheels and have a set of Michelin cross terrain tires in the stock 265/65-17 size mounted. Except for a Tonneau Masters vinyl bed cover and a set of VentVisors this truck is stock. Who makes a good riding set of shocks for my truck? By "good riding" I mean stock or smoother (smoother would be ideal...:). No changes in ride height or boy racer curve taking ability really wanted.

·
Registered
219 Posts
+1 for Bilstiens

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bilstein hd's will be stiffer but elimate sway on turns and nose dive on stops. On smooth pavement they will be smoother than stocks but off road will be a little harsher. You will never need to replace them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
bilstein 5100. u will never think twice about it once they are on.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
What Jay said...

Something to consider, tho. When you say "soft", you're probably thinking of soft on compression, not wallowing like an old Cadillac, which would be soft rebound as well as compression.

Personally, I didn't think the 5100s were too stiff, but ride in someone's truck that's using them, to be certain. You can also order a 5150, which is the same parts but user-specified valving...talk to Bilstein about it, you may be able to get something that's as soft as an OEM Bilstein, but rebounds just a hair slower than the Tundra-specific 5100.

The 5100s are very nice shocks.

-Sean

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After much searching and hand wringing I just ordered a set of Bilstein 6024's and 6025's from Tirerack. I also ordered up a pair of Brembo replacement front rotors and a set of Akebono ceramic brake pads for it. For good measure I also ordered up a set of Bilstein shocks for my 69 GTO while I was at it.
I've bought 3-4 sets of tires from Tirerack over the years and have always been impressed with their service.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think those are the part numbers for the Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks. If so, I have them and love them.

I also bought the same Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks for my 2001 Corvette, love them there too, they are great shocks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think those are the part numbers for the Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks. If so, I have them and love them.

Here's hoping!

Shocks are one of those things that you just have to take a chance on. Once the money's spent and the shocks are on the truck....enjoy'em, they are yours.

I'm going to do the install, all the way around. They are coming out of Delaware for Alabama on Monday. The rotors and pads left yesterday. Every set of tires I've bought from Tirerack arrived the next day. They do good work.

·
Registered
819 Posts
When I do use my truck nowadays, it is usually in the winter to work 25 miles one way when the roads are nasty, or driving up to the mountains 200 miles one way to go snowmobiling or to tow the 6,000 boat/trailer and for the 101,500 miles I have on the truck now, 70,000 of them with the stock Bilstein TRD shocks and now 31,000 with the Bilstein Heavy Duty's, they are great shocks and make the ride even better.

I look forward to what you think about them once you get them on.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I think that pretty much anything is better than the stock struts and shocks. Most people who think the stockers are ok really don't have anything to compare to until they replace that junk and see the difference for themselves. I replaced mine at 36k and after I saw the difference I wished that I'd done it sooner.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2000 SR5 with original shocks. I got it with 90K miles and it is bouncy. Too bouncy. The thing I like about it compared to my previous vehicle (pathfinder) is that you don't feel every little bump when offroading. But am very careful b/c I know that if I was to take something too fast the body would bottom out. I'd like to have a blend between soft and stiff and be able to take washboard easier without rattling my dash loose as on my pathfinder.

Therefore, It looks like I have 2 Bilstein options. The 5100 and Heavy Duty. I want to keep stock height. Do these have the option of stock height? From what i've read I believe both do. Which shock with my stock SR5 springs will be firmer, however forgiving so I don't rattle my dash loose?

I see alot of threads about guys upgrading their TRD shocks, but not much on guys upgrading their SR5. Given the fact the springs are different on the SR5's, i'm hoping for some additional insight. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I agree, go with bilstein's. I made the mistake of buying what my local shop had on sale. Horrible idea. My truck sways more than with the stock shocks! I don't necessarily drive my truck for the comfort, although the Tundra is nice compared to other trucks, but I dont want it bounce up and down after going over railroad tracks! Pay the extra money and buy Bilstein!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I second the Monroe sensatracs that someone posted before, I replaced my bilstein hd's with them and I'm totally happy, its not too stiff or too soft.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts