Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'll start with my last truck 00 Limited 4x4 Tundra was great until the tranny went. Never liked the tundras in 4speed anyway. Currently driving a POS Olds Bravada AWD 4.3 which I've got to say I don't know how i've driven that thing for a year, slowest worst stopping, noisiest (rattles squeaks) worst gas mileage getting and illest handling thing I've EVER owned and I've owned alot including a Daihatsu Charade. That said

Possible Choices on next buy all being 4 Door 4x2 models
07 Titan 5.6 LE
05 Tundra 4.7 SR5
05 Tacoma V6 Prerunner
05 Fronteir V6 SE
05 Dakota 4.7 possibly with H.O engine if available

I'm leaning in favor of the Titan for the power/sportiness as I no longer really need 4x4 and will put an LSD in any of then that do not come factory. But also trying to stay cheap as possible. If anybody has opinions on these anything would help. uses are normal daily driving although I work from home 75% of the time now and will be used to haul ATV's, boats, canoes, camping equipment. Alright let's hear the goods and bads of the models.

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just wondering why your not looking at same year silverados and F-150. I have many friends who own the 04-08 style F-150 and they are bullet proof trucks, silverados are nice also. If your looking at only 2wd-I would forget about the tacoma, frontier and Dakota- in v6 style you won't be much difference in mpg from a full size v8. Just my two cents, I don't have much expirience with Titans.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Why did you leave the 07 BEAST 5.7 tundra off of the list. I would edit that list Dakota gone ( money pit with no resale value). The Frontier just looks cheap to me. The Titan is a good truck but the MPG's suck my friend has one and he has gotten 13 on the hiway cruise set at 65.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hopefully will never own another GM vehicle again (maybe a vette). This 00 Bravada is my third GM and none of them have been worth a dam. Currently only getting average of 14MPG with 90K miles on it. And have many friends with F150's and they are a capable truck they also let you know it's a typical truck where as the Toyota's and Nissans are more user friendly car like. Gas mileage isn't so much of a concern again with my current only getting 14 but the lighter trucks are little sportier. I've seen quite a few people here that have taken nissan's over Toy's due to the cost difference. Right now I'm trying to figure out pro's and Con's of each I've driven Tacomas, Titans, Tundras but not a Frontier or Dakota yet only reason it's on the list is the price and the v8 has a little potential (dodge tech friend already has cams and ported heads for one).

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
05 Tundra. You said fuel economy isn't a major issue, but I get 16-17mpg with a lifted 4X4 on 35's. They seem to hold resale value. It has a 5 spd trans instead of the 4 spd. There's plenty of room for an ATV and other gear with the tailgate up. If you aren't impressed with the handling, get a swaybar and poly rack bushings.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i hate the look of the new dakota, other than the tundra, i personally almost baught a titan before my tundra, they are sharp looking imo.

·
Registered
544 Posts
07 Titan 5.6 LE... You wont be getting more than 12-14mpgs really. Depreciation Value sucks. Trucks are bulletproof though and I was considering one, But the tundra just felt better and more compact. Titan is more powerful, but again, it drinks gas.

05 Tundra 4.7 SR5... I own an 06' Best truck I've ever had and It is real good on gas...19-20+mpg, plenty of power and more compact, and smooth running and just a great truck. The new 5 speed transmission is buttery smooth and way more responsive than my old 00' sr5 V8 tundra....

05 Tacoma V6 Prerunner... My uncle owns one, very good responsive truck, enough power and good looks, mileage is about the same as my truck.

05 Fronteir V6 SE... Can't really comment as I've only driven one(07') but not real far, A DC Frontier isn't as spacious in the back as a Tacoma. But it does have balls.

05 Dakota 4.7 possibly with H.O engine if available... (My opinion :D)I wouldn't drive a Dodge if they gave it to me, I'd take it and sell it though:first:

·
Registered
524 Posts
07 Titan 5.6 LE... You wont be getting more than 12-14mpgs really. Depreciation Value sucks. Trucks are bulletproof though and I was considering one, But the tundra just felt better and more compact. Titan is more powerful, but again, it drinks gas.

05 Tundra 4.7 SR5... I own an 06' Best truck I've ever had and It is real good on gas...19-20+mpg, plenty of power and more compact, and smooth running and just a great truck. The new 5 speed transmission is buttery smooth and way more responsive than my old 00' sr5 V8 tundra....

05 Tacoma V6 Prerunner... My uncle owns one, very good responsive truck, enough power and good looks, mileage is about the same as my truck.

05 Fronteir V6 SE... Can't really comment as I've only driven one(07') but not real far, A DC Frontier isn't as spacious in the back as a Tacoma. But it does have balls.

05 Dakota 4.7 possibly with H.O engine if available... (My opinion :D)I wouldn't drive a Dodge if they gave it to me, I'd take it and sell it though:first:
I totally agree with everything he said. Titans cool but no mpg, Tundra is my first choice, forget the dodge its a pos period and like the above poster said you couldnt gimme one for free, taco is just to small for me but they are nice trucks. Frontier is nice tho, friend of mine got an 08 and its really nice and drives super well for what it is. It is much smaller than a tundra, more along the lines of a taco.

If you want and F150 be aware that the 5.4L V8 is only so so. Its nowhere near as nice and smooth running as the IForce V8 or the Nissan 6 or 8, they have piston slap when cold, the bottom end will eventually go and sound bad but never die, burn oil, coils go bad alot and the head is very shallow and easy to crossthread a plug or blow plugs out of. I have 2 of them in work trucks and although the truck is the most reliable truck overall-both of them have had those issues-but they do have over 250k each so..

My vote goes Tundra, Tacoma, Frontier then Titan in that order.

·
Registered
756 Posts
the Titan had rear end issues, and it drinks like a sailor. The 07's Tundra's can be had for short money but I would get the 05 Tundra. For me this truck is the perfect size. The question will have a different answer from everybody. But as stated, your not going to get many that say don't buy the Tundra.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I agree with cjm and geordybass. Dodge trucks have impressive numbers as far as hp and torque, but there is something cheap about them that I can't quite put my finger on. Just bad quality I guess, my boss had one and it made my Tundra seem like a lexus.

As far as the rest, Frontier is a nice truck, the v6 has a nice torque range and it's not bad as far as comfort, sure it's smaller than a Tundra but lets go apples to apples here, it's competitor is the Tacoma. Frontier's are getting cheaper these days, I once wanted a 2000, that year is before all the plastic fender flares and bumpers which turn me off. Far as fun to drive and quality, it's a good comfortable truck.

Back to apples, the Tacoma has an obnoxiously high resale value for some unknown reason. You can get a Tundra for less, I did. I was on the market for the AC v6 pre-runner with a 5 speed manual, hardest truck to find, I was chasing a unicorn. Every time I found one, price was sky high, even if it was automatic. My buddy has the pre-runner crew cab, and it's a very nice truck, made me want one bad, but it was surprisingly thirsty for it's size. All in all if it weren't for the high price, it is what I would drive today, but I found and fell in love with my 03 Tundra for less money and have the v8 power to leave those tacomas behind. :heh: With the money I saved, my Tundra has everything I liked about the pre-runner and more, just need LSD now.

That said, of course the Tundra seems better than the Tacoma, more room, more power, similar mpgs, did I mention V8 vvt-i p:heh:wer?
It would be my choice, not even being biased about it. From a serious "lets compare every aspect" perception it seems to be the one that makes the most sense over all.

Titan is a cool truck, sure. But you better be buddies with the sultan of Dubai because my friend has one and on the way to a job site(only 10 miles away) I watched the gas gauge drop. His is sitting on 35s, but still unreal how thirsty it was. He wasn't really on it hard either, only punched it for a second to get around some traffic. To me, that is unacceptable. Plus to tell you the truth, he was impressed with my trucks acceleration and even said for the money he wished he got one rather than owing so much for the Titan.

Good luck in your decision, may the i-force be with you.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
05 Tundra for all of the aforementioned reasons, as well as the fact that Toyota seemed to have the problems solved by the time they were wrapping up Gen-1s. Have not heard of any significant issues with 05 or 06. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
My dad has a 04 Titan LE Crew cab with the off road package. Its a nice truck but man its eats gas. 12-14 mpg. It rides nice, stops pretty decent, more comfortable than my 00 tundra, looks classy, plenty fast enough,

It has a radio problem according to my dad where is favorite talk show FM station doesn't pick up as well as it used to be. He had the radio replaced with another factory one for $400. But personally I think the radio works fine. It rattles and squeaks just like my tundra.

Its had the serpentine belt replaced, emergency brake cable replaced because it snapped, 4wd switch went out during a snow storm, leaking caliper replaced, exhaust hanger rusted out which caused the exhaust to drag (simple fix) and I think that is it.

It only has 58K and its pretty well taken care of.

I don't mind dads Titan at all. I didn't like the truck at first but it grew on me. Hopefully one of these days I could acquire it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the responses. After looking at a few used ones I think I'm taking the nissans off the list due to interior quality issues. I'm going tomorrow to look at an 06 4x2 Crew Cab Tundra SR5 with 39K miles on it for 17 grand if they will deal on the price a little I think I might get it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts