Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree Internet Sales manager is the way to go.

It was sooo cool walking into dealer and making my way past the wave of sales folks camped out on the dealer's front steps..

I highly recommened calling the smaller rural town dealers... tell them you are from the "big" city and willing to drive a little to save.

Worked great for me...

·
Registered
263 Posts

It was sooo cool walking into dealer and making my way past the wave of sales folks camped out on the dealer's front steps..

I highly recommened calling the smaller rural town dealers... tell them you are from the "big" city and willing to drive a little to save.

Worked great for me...
Just remember that in many cases, employees at the dealership may call themselves internet managers, but actually have no more authority on making a deal than a line salesman.

A better option is to work with a fleet/internet manager, who many times is mistakenly and often confused as an internet manager/sales associate, but a true fleet/internet manger has the authority to "desk"/write his own deals. Many (not all) fleet managers are payed a flat + volume bonus, so it behooves them to blow out their inventories, especially at month-end.

If you decide to get quotes on the internet, try and send your requests to the fleet/internet director as oppossed to just simply an internet manager/sales associate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually just purchased an 05 tacoma 4x4 and i discovered the best poeple to deal with are in the fleet department because they are not paid on commision so they have no reason to hassle you. What i did is as soon as a salesman tried to approach me i simply asked to speak to someone in fleet. for financing... dont go through toyota the interest rates are very high. try compass bank they are usually very competitive.

good luck
Ryan

·
Registered
5 Posts

Worked great for me...
Hello everyone, This is my 1st time registered and replying to any forum. Weird since I am an Internet Sales Manager. I've been in the business for 21yrs and I know what people (including myself) have to deal with in my line of work. I just leased a new 2007 Tacoma from a local dealer and it wasn't the nicest experience. A couple of things I notice people talking about and maybe a suggestion or two.
1st of all. Don't use a broker unless you just can't stand to car shop. A broker often makes as much as the dealer and he can't show you how anything works. Be careful about using buying services such as Costco and Sam's club and maybe even fighting chance. They charge the dealer for thier services which in turn is taken out of the profit/discount.
I work off volume not commission. Customers work with me from A to Z. That is from the 1st hello through the financing and through the delivery and follow up. If you deal through an internet department, make sure your not flipped to another person. No one likes to have to rehash what they want.
Finally (and I've said enough), when you know what you want have some fun. Let the dealer know you will be driving a new car soon. It's o.k. to shop but you will find dealers to be aggressive on price when they know in a few days you will be out of the market. The more you drag the more you will hate the experiance. Thank you,

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hello everyone, This is my 1st time registered and replying to any forum. Weird since I am an Internet Sales Manager. I've been in the business for 21yrs and I know what people (including myself) have to deal with in my line of work. I just leased a new 2007 Tacoma from a local dealer and it wasn't the nicest experience. A couple of things I notice people talking about and maybe a suggestion or two.
1st of all. Don't use a broker unless you just can't stand to car shop. A broker often makes as much as the dealer and he can't show you how anything works. Be careful about using buying services such as Costco and Sam's club and maybe even fighting chance. They charge the dealer for thier services which in turn is taken out of the profit/discount.
I work off volume not commission. Customers work with me from A to Z. That is from the 1st hello through the financing and through the delivery and follow up. If you deal through an internet department, make sure your not flipped to another person. No one likes to have to rehash what they want.
Finally (and I've said enough), when you know what you want have some fun. Let the dealer know you will be driving a new car soon. It's o.k. to shop but you will find dealers to be aggressive on price when they know in a few days you will be out of the market. The more you drag the more you will hate the experiance. Thank you,
1. No idea about brokers and how they work out for folks. But a lot of people sure say they saved money.

2. If you need a salesman to show you how a vehicle works, you have bigger problems than car buying. Often I have to tell the salesman about the features of the vehicle he's showing me. I'm guessing to save $500 or whatever people are willing to pop open the owners manual for things that aren't obvious.

3. The buying services sell you the car for a prenegotiated price. Yes, it's added on. But they use their mass buying power to get a low price that still lets them make a little profit. And the typical buyer would have to work long and hard to equal that price in traditional negotiations. I'm quite sure that you know that.

Some of your comments are striking me as pretty self-serving, rather than aimed at giving good advice. For example, the reason you want them to make sure they don't get sent to another salesman is NOT to avoid repeating their wants and needs. Its to make sure that YOU get credit for the sale. That's reasonable. But come on. At least be a little more subtle with the "advice".

This type of "help" is exactly what buyers are hoping to avoid, ironically.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should become a broker and negotiate for everyone. lol. But you shouldn't be so bitter. Everyone can see what a dealer pays for a vehicle. Just ask him to sell it to you for a reasonable price and if he doesn't accept...don't buy. My point was a broker works out a price with the dealer and keeps his take. You are smart enough not to need someone to do it for you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. No idea about brokers and how they work out for folks. But a lot of people sure say they saved money.

2. If you need a salesman to show you how a vehicle works, you have bigger problems than car buying. Often I have to tell the salesman about the features of the vehicle he's showing me. I'm guessing to save $500 or whatever people are willing to pop open the owners manual for things that aren't obvious.

3. The buying services sell you the car for a prenegotiated price. Yes, it's added on. But they use their mass buying power to get a low price that still lets them make a little profit. And the typical buyer would have to work long and hard to equal that price in traditional negotiations. I'm quite sure that you know that.

Some of your comments are striking me as pretty self-serving, rather than aimed at giving good advice. For example, the reason you want them to make sure they don't get sent to another salesman is NOT to avoid repeating their wants and needs. Its to make sure that YOU get credit for the sale. That's reasonable. But come on. At least be a little more subtle with the "advice".

This type of "help" is exactly what buyers are hoping to avoid, ironically.
Sorry I guess I should have replied to bruce's statement.

You should become a broker and negotiate for everyone. lol. But you shouldn't be so bitter. Everyone can see what a dealer pays for a vehicle. Just ask him to sell it to you for a reasonable price and if he doesn't accept...don't buy. My point was a broker works out a price with the dealer and keeps his take. You are smart enough not to need someone to do it for you!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts