Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the 4x4 almost a year now but never got used to the bumpy ride, it's the worst I've ever experienced.

Can someone recommend softer shocks that will fit this model? I'm hoping to change the shocks only, and looking for a ride that is as civilized as the Land Cruiser if at all possible.

Maybe some Toyota people can provide the damping factor of the OEM shocks?

If I can't fix the ride, it will be back to Nissan for me again :)

Cuong

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can't for the life of me understand your complaint. I had a Nissan Pathfinder which rode, OK. But, the Sequoia is the best riding truck I've been in. It rides better than any Expedition or Tahoe I've driven. If you want a luxury car ride than why did you buy a truck? Are your tires inflated to 32psi or are they higher?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i agree w/ Catman, you might want to check your tire pressure.

i've ridden in practically every SUV and i must say that the Sequoia has one of the better rides. btw, i tried looking for some AM shocks for the sequoia, but can't seem to find any. good luck! :)

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
whatchoo mean when you say bumpy? you mean it bounces too much after you go over a bump (underdamped), it's too jarring when you hit a bump (spring rate too high), it goes "clunk" when you hit a big speed bump (spring rate too low), or it feels like you get flung out of your seat when you hit a speed bump, but not tooth-jarring (possibly overdamped with too high a spring rate)?

it really is customizable if you want to, it's just a matter of cost. sway-a-way makes a coilover kit for the front, and i'm sure you can get different shocks for the rear. using an underdamped shock will actually hurt the ride quality and make the truck dangerous to drive...you may actually be looking for a softer spring, not a softer shock.

there's all that, and it still might well be nothing more than tire pressure.

-sean

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Tire Pressure and Tire Brand

Second, third and fourth the comments of checking air pressure makes a big difference. As posted in many forums here at TS, change to Michelin Cross Terrain. I had switched from Firestone to Dunlop to Michelin LTX M/S on my old Ford Explorer the Michelins made a HUGE difference in ride quality and noise. My Aunt just put the Cross Terrains on her 2002 Sequoia after I recommended them and is raving over the difference (she had the stock Dunlop AT20's)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Monroe Sensa-Trac front struts will ride well, but do check the tire pressure first. And, maybe you have a defective front strut or other part that is binding.

Ken

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help, guys - I've been so busy with my kids' schedule and couldn't reply sooner.

I currently have the Bridgestone Dueler tires at 30 psi, 10,000 miles, those came with my 03 from the factory.

Actually, I love the ride on very smooth highways (San Jose to Yosemity, Lake Tahoe area, I5 to L.A....), on mountain roads, and when making turns. But, whenever the surface turn rough - I'm talking mostly freeways here - the ride becomes jarring and busy, the suspension doesn't absorp the iregularity at all, the feeling is like on a rigid platform with very stiff shocks. I'm sure some of you also experienced your body jumped off the front seat temporarily at time if the road was real rough.

When the highway surface is uneven, the truck exibits that side-to-side sway motion, . The effect is a loss of straight ahead stability. Even my wife who seldoms pay attention to handling noticed it's not as stable at high speed as our minivan Quest. In my book, Toyota doesn't have the same road feel and handling of Nissan vehicles (I used to own 300zx, my wife always drive Nissan SE).

I rode even a flatbed Toyota before and other pickup trucks and nothing bothered me as much. My brothers' Land Cruiser 1995 and 2000 are both far superior, we thought it was because this Seq was designed in America from the ground up that they follow different philosophy.

It seems almost everyone over Tundra Solutions changed theirs shocks to aftermarket and love the new ride, but I have never, ever seen that in here with the Sequoia. Does anybody know why? Also, Tundra is particularly soft and lacks of control.

BTW, Ken aka. KLS, I was thinking of the Monroe Reflex shocks, but it seems they don't have one for Sequioa.

And, maybe I should go to the dealer to test drive another one to see if they're the same. Thanks again, guys.

Cuong

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't been able to find anyone (other than the dealer) who can supply shocks for a Sequoia. Others have used front shocks made for Tundra. My rears are starting to leak a bit - and I'd like to replace them - but hate to put factory shocks back on.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Me Too!

We have an 02 Seq and the ride is rough over bumpy surfaces. I can tell it doesn't absorbe them very well. I can feel it in the cab alot more than in my tundra, BUT the tundra has the bilstens & TRD pkg. I had a 02 Tahoe Z71 and it took the bumps w/ ease, BUT it to had the off-road pkg. Now I love our Seq. but I too would like to find something that would absorbe the bumps, rather than pass that jar on to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Tundra 4WD bumpy ride

Hi, I just bought a used 04 Tundra 4WD and I am experiencing the same ride you described with yours. Have you found what the problem was or any solutions? Thank you very much for your reply.
Sincerely,
Gary Zajic

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
see where i live, we have a lot of road construction, and i bought 20" wheels which means even more feel of bad road. So i went to a local tire shop and explained my complain, and they recomended me a soft tire, with roadforce balance, plus NITRO fill instead of air, and i will tell you night and day difference.

Before i had kuhmos 295 45 20s and now i have yokohomas prada spec-x 285 50 20s - i would recoment to any body :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not only tire pressure, but also tires. I just switched from (worn out) bridgestone Dueler 689's h/t to Duler Revo's A/T, and these tires have bumpier ride. The price to pay for the aggressive tread I guess.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Anybody use Monroe Reflex struts in front? Any luck? I have installed them and I think I have a bad one. I'm getting bad bouncing at 65-70mph and I have had the tires rotated/balanced twice. Any similar experience?

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE="tiger, post: 88428, member: 7024"put 2 bags of 50 pound concrete in the trunk area you feel way better ride

We have an 02 Seq and the ride is rough over bumpy surfaces. I can tell it doesn't absorbe them very well. I can feel it in the cab alot more than in my tundra, BUT the tundra has the bilstens & TRD pkg. I had a 02 Tahoe Z71 and it took the bumps w/ ease, BUT it to had the off-road pkg. Now I love our Seq. but I too would like to find something that would absorbe the bumps, rather than pass that jar on to me.
[/QUOTE]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts