Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I took the 4runner to get new tires today. On with 265/65/17 Michelin LTX M/S 2s (they're awesome so far. Ride nicely, quiet, handle well, and are better than the old Cross Terrains).

Now, for the bad. AT 97K miles, rear shock is leaking, power steering fluid is shot, and the inner CV boots are torn.

Looking at ANOTHER $900 or "dealer quoted" prices to get back on the road.

This is in addition to a new battery last week, and previously a few months ago, another 800 in rear axle repairs, along with new brake pads nad rotors all around.

Must be a bad time, but this thing is just sucking the money dry.

My question is, what's the best to do about the CVs? Do new axles (NTB's recommendation) or do the boots? Both come to about the same price it seems like... or at least negligible without writing both prices down to compare.

Also, rear shocks - is now a good time to upgrade to the Old Man Emu rears? They're about the same price as OEMs and will work with the coils in the rear.... however, the fronts wont.

Can you just replace one shock or is now a good time to replace both? Common sense says both, especially at 97K miles.

Thanks,
-rockstate

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Boots are about $16 each. NAPA has REMAN axles for about $65 each. That's less than the labor will be to tear it apart.:cool:
Shocks should always be replaced in pairs unless they are almost new and the same brand.;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hear you, seems like car troubles come in waves. Just think once you get everything fixed/replaced you shouldnt have a more trouble.

If the CV boots and complete CV's are about the same price get complete CV's then you wont have to worry about replaving the CV later.

Defiinitly replace both shocks, it's a pretty easy job on my truck so you could save $$ and do it yourself in the driveway.

Also if you power steering fluid is looking bad get a turkey baster and suck out the old fluid and replace with new. Then drive it for a couple days and repeat, do that a few times or until the fluid starts to look clean and your good to go.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys.

I don't know if I can do the replacement of the CVs myself, but I might take on the shocks and PS fluid.

Changing the PS Fluid is $109. I think it's kind of a rip off. WIll do my research on that one.

-rockstate

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
CV axles can last a LONG time with bad boots, especially if you don't drive through mud bogs daily. If it were mine, I would wait until they make noise before replacing them.
I agree with the advice on doing your own shocks and replacing your own PS fluid.

What year is your 4Runner?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2003. 97K miles.

It's been falling apart lately. With the aforementioned stuff, the door lock on the driver's side is messed up by not opening when without pressing the unlock button, the plastic body cladding is coming off in a few places, the gas door lost its tension and is broken. Not only that, the headlight is fogging up, fog light keeps blowing lights real easily, so it's just having it's day in the sun.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you guys elaborate more on the CVs?

I can see the shocks and PS fluid being quite a problem now, and stuff that need to be replaced.

If I can ditch the CVs for now, then I will - as long as there's no other issue with them

THe way I see it, and my reasoning behind it, is that if I replaced the boots - I'd have to get the axle rebuilt anyway, so it's the same as if I just replaced it all - according to quotes I've gotten.

That can be put off til winter I believe BUT it is full time 4wd as it is the V8.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The CV's will let you know when they get bad. Front end vibrations and/or noises will show up but when they do you usually don't have too long to get them replaced. You can probably make it through the summer OK with them but winter might be an issue depending on road salt, sand, etc.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If I can ditch the CVs for now, then I will - as long as there's no other issue with them
They will not affect any other parts. Allowing them to get bad enough to click when turning corners will not cause subsequent damage to anything.
THe way I see it, and my reasoning behind it, is that if I replaced the boots - I'd have to get the axle rebuilt anyway, so it's the same as if I just replaced it all - according to quotes I've gotten.
Disassembled, inspected, cleaned and relubricated....yes. That's all part of replacing the boot. "Rebuilding" typically includes replacement of any hard parts that are worn such as tulips and bearings and such. Many aftermarket rebuilt C/V shafts get an inspection and new boots without requiring any hard parts because people replace them when the boots tear because they are relatively cheap considering the labor you pay to have them replaced. There is more actual labor involved in a C/V boot replacement than there is a C/V axle replacement. When replacing the boot, the C/V joint is disassembled, cleaned, lubricated & boot replaced in addition to R&R of the axle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts