Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, THIS time I think I'm probably within a week of getting 'er lifted and am debating on which way to go.

As of right now, 43K miles on the truck. Ranch Hand brush guard (112 lbs). Stock suspension is saggin' bout half an inch.

I would love to do a full 3/1 but I dunno if that'll work with the brush guard.

Here are the options:

LRO - I like it over the Truxxx kit. I'm not sure if I like the way it just pushes everything down, but I'd go with this over a Toytec kit or one that preloads the strut.

Bilstein 5100s - ANYBODY know if they can hold the 112lb brush guard without sag? The guy at Bilstein must not have been in today so I can't get a definite answer.

I talked to one of the guys at LRO and he seemed that I should probably go with the Bilsteins but the OME would be the preferable way to get the desired lift - for a long time. Also, I'd be looking at $196+20 shipping for Bilsteins then add another $30 or whatever for the diff front - through LRO, so I'll probably order through them.

Can anybody shed some light on whether or not the Bilsteins will support the 112 lbs without sagging? If it sages 30K miles down the road a half an inch, no biggie. The guy said there was a lifetime warranty on 'em (not sure if sagging would entail a fix).

Also, can someone show some pics of the spring perch on the move?

I hate to start a new thread but I sorted through this information for about 2 hours last night and came to these conclusions, but unfortunately, the 112 lbs is what is keeping me from just doing a spacer lift, as well as the fact that I am already seeing sag.

-rockstate

·
Registered
420 Posts
It is not the 5100s that would sag it is the springs, I also doubt 112 lbs makes that much of a difference. I would go with 5100s on the highest setting if your springs have settled it will still probably be 2" higher than where it is now and look a lot better.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Morning Glory??? I figured this thread had something to do with the Ranch Hand. I have been considering lifting as well and was thinking the exact same thing as you, ie LRO vs. Bilsteins. Bilsteins are the more expensive option. I probably will do the LRO when I change my tires.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, where are you ordering your LRO from?

I found the Bilsteins for $100 a shock at shockwarehouse (may NOT be the correct part number but it seems like it)...

So. the coils are what can't hold the weight? That is sad because you're right, 112 lbs ain't a lot.

I'll try to look into it more.

Anybody else?

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Bilstein's with the rear lift from Shockwharehouse are $350, 3/1 Kit from LRO is $300. I was completely mistaken though. I was looking at the lift kit from Fat Bob's. The 3" front is $110 then you can go with 1" rear for $40 or 1.5" rear for $45. This is almost identical to the Toytec and LRO lift, I mean, it is the same basic concept. I'll probably get the 3" front and 1.5" rear.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I would go with the OME's since you get new springs and shocks. If you can find the Bilsteins and new springs for less than the OME's, then go for it. I would look more into a suspension lift rather than a spacer lift...especially since you have used your truck like a truck...JMO.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bilstein's with the rear lift from Shockwharehouse are $350, 3/1 Kit from LRO is $300. I was completely mistaken though. I was looking at the lift kit from Fat Bob's. The 3" front is $110 then you can go with 1" rear for $40 or 1.5" rear for $45. This is almost identical to the Toytec and LRO lift, I mean, it is the same basic concept. I'll probably get the 3" front and 1.5" rear.
Ahh, if I did the Bilsteins, I'd pass on the rear lift kit, or just do blocks. Two shocks 1" blocks and a diff drop will still probably be less than $300 shipped to door.

I would go with the OME's since you get new springs and shocks. If you can find the Bilsteins and new springs for less than the OME's, then go for it. I would look more into a suspension lift rather than a spacer lift...especially since you have used your truck like a truck...JMO.
Man, Id love to get the OME. I just don't know if I can find 'em cheap enough, and the shipping doesn't help me any lol. I don't beat on my truck too much but it's not a street queen 100% of the time.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah they are a lil pricey. ToyTech has 'em for $439. They also have all 4 Bil's for $379. On my previous truck, I beat the Bil's pretty hard in a 2wd V6 and they held up extremely well.
Dude, if I could get my friend to install these things for me for a case of beer, it might very well be worth it...

I am trying to find out what shipping costs are...

-rockstate

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I just saw this note...
You can also get the Heavy coils which are designed to hold the weight of the ARB bumper and winch, we do not recommend the Heavy coils without 200LBS + weight already installed.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, I'd been reading about Toxarch and onpointtundra and Toxarch's bumper still sits at 3.5" above stock so the regular coils would be okay with me.

Onpointtundra's got me tinking about the spacer again.

I'm going to order this stuff either in about 30 minutes when I go to the place or later today online. I Can't wait.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
What do you all do about the alignment issues? Just live with it? Thanks.
After the lift is installed, it has to be aligned by the shop. Some of the kits come with their own alignment numbers as part of the kit.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, I can get the Skyjacker 2" lift for $169+100 labor + alignment.

I dunno...

He was not fond of the billet aluminum ones that were not protected in some way....

now the debate is down to 3/1 with 285/65/18s... I will not buy new tires and bigger tires in the future probably come in the form of 275/70/18s..

I need some help folks!

-rockstate

·
- ? -
1,305 Posts
i had the 285/65/18 terra grapplers on with the truxxx lift before i went with a bigger tire, but i have to say it didnt look bad. But i think eventually your gonna want some bigger rubbers under the truck if you go with a 3-1 or at least something with a little more sidewall.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let's see soem pics CC! I got the itch to mod.

Chris at LRO won't be in until tomorrow so I have all day to make a decision. Had he been there, I would have done it now. I am goingt o call the toyota dealership rgiht now and ask them.

Looks like the 3/1 LRO is the way I'm going to go.
-rockstate

·
- ? -
1,305 Posts
I don't have any pics of the 285/65/18's with the lift I only got pics of the 35's on. Only reason I didn't go with the LRO kit cause it has the machined aluminum spacers as apposed to the truxxx spacer which is powdercoated and keeps a more factory look. Either way you go both kits will give you the result your lookin for.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't have any pics of the 285/65/18's with the lift I only got pics of the 35's on. Only reason I didn't go with the LRO kit cause it has the machined aluminum spacers as apposed to the truxxx spacer which is powdercoated and keeps a more factory look. Either way you go both kits will give you the result your lookin for.
Wait a minute, the pics in your photo album don't have a lift on it???

Uh oh...

-rockstate

1 - 20 of 40 Posts