Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2010 Tundra & want to get a durable & somewhat cheap liner for the bed. I'll be using my truck to transport table saws, wood, drywall, etc. Nothing too heavy

The spray in liners & some of the well made hard plastic liners are ridiculously expensive

Does anyone know of a decent yet cheap liner? Is there a cheap rubber type liner out there?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
530 Posts
Do the spray in... you are wasting your money on anything else....

its a great investment and good selling point for the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer wanted $900 to do the spray in liner. I talked them down to $750. Is that a good price?

What did you guys pay?

Also, I believe the rubber mat would work OK because again, I won't be putting anything really heavy in the bed. I'm not really worried about dents, just scratches

Do those rubber mats stay in place well? What about the side walls? Is there any kind of cheap cover for those?

I do understand what you're saying justinsfa, but I'd like to avoid spending almost a grand right now. Yet, if those mats aren't really effective, I'd hate to waste any amount of money

I'd say around $300 is what I'd like to spend

And thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
916 Posts
I got a qoute from my local Line-X dealer for about $450 or $500, can't remember exactly. That was for an 8 foot bed too. When I had my old pickup truck, I waited til there was a sale on liners and bought a drop in liner for $125. With the Tundra bed and cutouts for the hooks in the bed, I plan to get a spray in liner. That way when I haul dirt or mulch, it won't get in behind the liner and rust.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got Polyshield spray-in for $417.00 with tax, and picked my color. Looks great. Father in law had it in last two trucks, co workers all have it and all love it.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
My rubber mat stays put, but the side walls are pretty scratched up from all the crap I load in. Haven't heard of a "cheap" solution for the walls outside of a drop in bedliner. I see the drop ins on craigslist all the time, some even in our classifieds on this forum, usually are letting them go for cheap.

My plan, if you want to read it...is use the bed like its meant to be used, scratch and dent the heck outta it. If it starts to rust in the scratches or if I go to sell it, I'll do Line-X then...but for now, I've got more important things for my $$$'s.

BTW, I think most around here report that they pay about $400-$500 +/- for basic Line-X, so tell your dealer to suck an egg.

·
Registered
530 Posts
WHOA!!! 900 bucks??? Thats WAY high... get away from the dealer and go to a place that does bedliners...

The price is dependant on your bedlength and whether you have bed caps or not.... Crewmax should be about $300-$350, regular should be about $400 and long bed will prolly be $450-$500.

I would stay far far far away from mats and plastic liners... they pretty much promote rust because they trap dirt and moisture under them...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Oh, and by the way, the dealer doesnt even do the liner, they just send it to the same place that you would get it done AWAY from the dealer, then mark up the price 30-40 percent....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sorry to post again, but one more thing.... When they spray the bed, they are gonna grind and sand all the paint off anyway so the liner will adhere to the surface... So you might as well wait a while and use the bed just as you would if there were a liner in it...

Im just helping them out... I have had the truck a year and am scratching everything up just to make their prep job easier... haha... I will get it sprayed around Xmas time maybe.... I got quoted Rhino for $300 and LineX matched it at $300...

·
Registered
985 Posts
My Line-x liner was $400.00. It has a lifetime warranty. Worth every penny. After almost two years in our scorching hot sun, it still looks brand new.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well cheap is what u are wanting...and yes the spray in ones are more expensive and really pointless...who cares if the paint rubs off the bedliner....its under the liner so u dont see it. the paint on a spray in is ruined too, cant take it out and have a pristine bed...rust? yeah, many years down the road it could cause an issue but not anytime soon...

the drop in liners are pretty cheap anyway, i got mine for nothing when i bought the truck...check our classifieds section or craigslist near you...tons of people are giving them away because they buy into the spray in liner deal etc...those always fade and trap dirt etc...plus the bed will still dent where the plastic ones yeah may transfer some dents but they still retain their shape so u wont see them......

bottom line though, get what u want for your truck. if u argee spray ins are overpriced then dont do it...get a cheap drop in...they look fine and work better anyway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
well cheap is what u are wanting...and yes the spray in ones are more expensive and really pointless...who cares if the paint rubs off the bedliner....its under the liner so u dont see it. the paint on a spray in is ruined too, cant take it out and have a pristine bed...rust? yeah, many years down the road it could cause an issue but not anytime soon...

the drop in liners are pretty cheap anyway, i got mine for nothing when i bought the truck...check our classifieds section or craigslist near you...tons of people are giving them away because they buy into the spray in liner deal etc...those always fade and trap dirt etc...plus the bed will still dent where the plastic ones yeah may transfer some dents but they still retain their shape so u wont see them......

bottom line though, get what u want for your truck. if u argee spray ins are overpriced then dont do it...get a cheap drop in...they look fine and work better anyway.
Here is another vote for the plastic drop in liner.I was going to linex it,but can't afford it now.I found my toyota liner on craigslist for $40 and he met me halfway.

·
Registered
530 Posts

I agree with the fact that the plastic liners are cheaper, but thats exactly right... they are CHEAPER...

I had one in an old Toyota of mine... it had nicks and scratches all over it.... Spray in liners usually have a lifetime warranty and they will do repairs at no charge... I had some pretty extensive rusting going on when I had my liner... Enought to where I had to clean everything up and weld in plates to patch holes... The liner is constantly rubbing on the bed, so there is NO protection because the paint is gone. I noticed the OP is from Illinois, so rust probably isnt a problem (us southern people dont know about all those salty winter roads, so I could be wrong). I live about 100 yards from the Galveston Bay complex here on the Texas Gulf Coast and everything here rusts due to the salt and moisture in the air... I already have some rust spots popping up on some scratches in my bed and Ive only had the truck a year....

Plastic liners also allow your stuff to slide all over the place... now, this is not ALWAYS a bad thing... if you are toting around bulky and heavy stuff, sometimes its better if you can slide it easier... the spray liners keep your stuff pretty still when in transit.... but its tougher sliding stuff in and out....

There is some fading that occurs, but i think they have pretty much mastered that problem with UV protectants.... Spills?? Well, the spills are gonna get on anything... they tend to soak into the spray on liners...

What I didnt like about my drop in plastic liner was that it looked cheap, enhanced the amount of rust, and there were gouges, slices and shavings all over the place...

·
Registered
135 Posts
The bed-mat might be OK for your purposes. I went with a Line-X spray-in liner for a couple reasons. 1) I didn't want to see the white scratches on my red paint-job. Yes, its a truck, yes, it will get beat up, yes, don't let it get to you..... 2) durability 3) lifetime warranty.

The line-X or other spray-in liner costs more than the drop-in bedliner, but where I live, the rain/snow will get underneath, and I dont want the rust.

If you don't do Line-X, get something else. If yer just dropping in some saws and stuff, the bed-rug would work OK, but your budget is $300, the rug is around $75, a cheap spray-on liner is about $350. I'd really really spring for the spray-on liner. Herculiner/Speed-liner/Line-X/Rhino-liner whatever you do, that's what you want. Otherwise, you'll be looking at the white primer scratches in your bed, or rust streaks. If this is your truck, do what you want, if this is a company truck, get the bed-mat.

$900 bones is too much, I overpaid where I'm at ($500) but my guys did a fantastic job with zero overspray, exactly what I told them (mask the deck rail holes), and they only took 90 mins from handing over the keys to me driving away.

Edit: Pro's for drop-in bedliner: Cheaper, people want to get rid of them.
Con's for drop-in bedliner : water gets underneath and causes rust.

I'm biased.... Spray-in or nothing. :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
I entertained both spray in and drop in, in the end I got a Penda Skid Resistor" drop in liner for $289.00 ... they have a cheaper Penda but the skid resistor doesn't let things slid all over the place, plus unlike other skid resistor liners the Penda Skid Resistor has the non skid throughout the liner (both sides) and not just sprayed on top so it does stick to the bed better as well, I have had mine in the bed since the truck was new.

I took it out the other day to check out what damage it has done to the bed, "ZERO" damage (some slight dulling but thats to be expected with anything laying on top of shiny new paint), I cannot see anywhere where the bedliner has worn the paint through, maybe its the sticky coating, I don't know or I am just lucky, truck has over 30K on it now.

If you get a spray in or a drop in thats a preference, the Penda skid resistor works good for me, also some drop in's are like walking on Ice, if it gets wet very slippery, not these, but it is still slippery enough for me to slid pallets onto the truck without too much problem and they stay put.

In the end the skid resistor for what I use it for putting pallets in was the best ... a spray in is very sticky and I would have had a much harder time getting those pallets slid in.

The Skid Resistor bed liner also has slots to section off the bed with 2x4's so you can have it sectioned off so stuff can be separated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies

Yeah, I figured the dealer would quote a rip-off price, the greedy bastards. They just can't be happy making a nice little profit on the sale of a very expensive vehicle. No, they've got to try & pry ever last penny they can from you

Anyway, I think I've been sold on the spray-in. The arguments for drop-ins are valid, but the trapping of water & the resulting rust being the deciding factor. I live in a big city in the Midwest & with all the snow & ice, coupled with the massive amounts of salt the city lays down on the roads, the drop-in could be a serious problem

Again, thank you for the replies. It's really nice to have forums like these where you can get answers from educated & experienced owners

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, this is my (hopefully) last question on the subject.....

I can get a Rhino spray in for $409 vs a Line-X for $465

Does anyone know if there's a real difference between the two? Obviously I'd like to go with the cheaper of the two

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I did the Line-X for $400, but found that stuff slid around back there and ended up with bed-rash. I put the Tundra rubber bed mat ($100) in there too and now everything is fine.

8SM

1 - 20 of 25 Posts