Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a flowmaster 40 series muffler with a stock pipe. I also installed a k&n drop in filter. I like the setup but as is normal with increased air flow on a gen 1 tundra, my low end power suffers a little. Here are my questions:

• Will headers increase my low end power?
  • If so what brand performs best with gen 1 tundras?
  • Is there anything else I can do to increase my low end?
Thanks much. This forum has helped me a lot in many ways!

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I'm a bit surprised you would see a loss of low end when you kept the stock pipe's , usually increasing the size of the pipes is what causes the loss .
was the flow 40 much larger than the stock muffler ?
I had the same problem on the 2000 but it was the larger tailpipe .That is why I kept the stock pipe on the 06 and just changed the muffler but the muffler I used was smaller than stock in size.
I would think the easiest and cheepest fix would be to try a different muffler

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
tyler800, I would try a Dynomax Super Turbo, I have used them on two Tundra's (2000 and 2005). Headers (for the money) would be the way to go and as there are no "long tube" headers for the 1st Gen. JBA are the best way to go IMHO. The reason for JBA (expensive) is because of the "firecone" they have in the collecter it fools the shorter header into performing like a longtube....the cheaper headers, Boostbrothers, Gibson, OBX are all shorty headers much like a dragster header, four short tubes into a 2 1/2" collecter....this design is more for high midrange and top end.....Again my two cents, with a lot of cars and trucks behind me. Good luck how ever you do it...CSM-H

PS: you could do gears (very expensive)

I have a flowmaster 40 series muffler with a stock pipe. I also installed a k&n drop in filter. I like the setup but as is normal with increased air flow on a gen 1 tundra, my low end power suffers a little. Here are my questions:

• Will headers increase my low end power?
  • If so what brand performs best with gen 1 tundras?
  • Is there anything else I can do to increase my low end?
Thanks much. This forum has helped me a lot in many ways!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
As posted before, the cheapest way would be to go back to stock. The more fun and expensive way would be to add headers. I know a lot of people have had good luck on earlier models with the JBA headers. I have an 05 and just put on a set of Thorley ones on, the shorties, and notice a huge difference in my low end. Even my wife noticed when she rode along after the install. You have some options you just need to decide what fits your needs and budget the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
jba headers best investment on my truck. had a huge lose n power when but on 35s n almost back to stock with the headers. easiest n best money saver would be stock muffler but theres no fun n that. give u an excuse to put somemore upgrades on n keep the sound. just my 2 cents good luck buddy

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Mr. Creosote, If you go to the Thorley website they have long tube for Tacomas and 07 and up Tundras but NOT the first generation as far as I can see.....Please if you find some long tubes I'd love to see them. CSM-H

Last time the Thorley rep posted on this site, he did mention they have a Gen 1 long tube.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I think it's all in the combination of parts. I installed a set of 32" BFG AT K/O's on my truck a while back and it took a big hit in performance. taller, much heavier tires kill your bottom end, since this truck has a lack of it to begin with. I messed around with a couple exhaust setups, including a set of new, larger toyota cats (since someone decided to sawzall mine out while it was parked) and finally found where I like it. I'm running the SS Autochrome headers (60K and no problems, knock on wood!) with a K&N FIPK, but I'm using an AFE dry filter. Also running a Unichip, and that made the biggest difference after I already had the other stuff done. What I'm trying to get to is that while you may experience a loss with mods and the stock ECU, the Unichip (or other tuner if you find one) can help bring that back. WOT from a standstill gets it moving real quick, enough to turn those expensive BFG's into smoke, even on stock gearing.

My buddy has a 2004 Audi A4 1.8T (B6 5 speed) with a corsa exhaust, full intake, boost valve, etc. and he can't pull away from my truck. in fact, I take him off the line, then it evens out. I'm pretty proud of that, considering my truck isn't the VVT or VVT-i model. Plus, when his car breaks down, I can always tow it home :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great help guys! I don't think I want to part with that Flowmaster rumble, so going back to stock doesn't sound like much fun, (although its a good idea). So I think I'll try out the headers. My birthday is coming up anyway...:). I love fiddling around with my truck, so just thinking about buying another aftermarket part puts a smile on my face. Good to know there are others like me... Good thread. Thanks again!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Mr. Creosote, If you go to the Thorley website they have long tube for Tacomas and 07 and up Tundras but NOT the first generation as far as I can see.....Please if you find some long tubes I'd love to see them. CSM-H
Try PM Nick at Thorley directly and ask him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts