Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was given an AIMS Power DC to AC Power inverter PWRINV500024W. My question is how can I install this on my Tundra? My truck is 12V and the inverter is 24V. Can this be done?

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
Almost anything is possible if you want to spend enough time and money. From a practical standpoint it doesn't make sense to do it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I guess the first question is why would you need 5000W AC power in your truck? Sure, you could install this, but you would need a 24V battery, or two 12V batteries connected in "Series" to achieve 24V. Since that thing is capable of 5000W AC, it is going to potentially draw some serious amps. You would need probably at least zero gauge wire between your batteries and the power inverter and at least a 200-300 amp fuse to protect the wire and not start a fire.
Your stock electrical system would not be able to charge a 24V battery configuration either.
If you are just looking to get 120V AC power for small appliances, game console, TV, etc. then you'd be better served with a much smaller inverter. Keep in mind that with any inverter, you will need dedicated wiring direct to your battery for AC power above 150-200 watts. Smaller ones below 200 watts will plug right into a cig lighter/accessory outlet.
I realize you probably received this inverter free, but I don't see a practical application in your truck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the first question is why would you need 5000W AC power in your truck? Sure, you could install this, but you would need a 24V battery, or two 12V batteries connected in "Series" to achieve 24V. Since that thing is capable of 5000W AC, it is going to potentially draw some serious amps. You would need probably at least zero gauge wire between your batteries and the power inverter and at least a 200-300 amp fuse to protect the wire and not start a fire.
Your stock electrical system would not be able to charge a 24V battery configuration either.
If you are just looking to get 120V AC power for small appliances, game console, TV, etc. then you'd be better served with a much smaller inverter. Keep in mind that with any inverter, you will need dedicated wiring direct to your battery for AC power above 150-200 watts. Smaller ones below 200 watts will plug right into a cig lighter/accessory outlet.
I realize you probably received this inverter free, but I don't see a practical application in your truck!
Thanks for the reply. That's what I needed to know. Do you recommend a unit that would be like the one Tacoma's come with?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yeah it gets really complicated and or expensive to do 24v for your inverter and keep it all within limits. 5kW is serious power for an automotive inverter. That sounds more like an RV, Truck or ambulance inverter where you have big battery banks. Czechme8 covered it pretty well. I wanted an inverter in my last work truck big enough to run a Milwaukee hole hawg but it never happened and a 3kW generstor is what I got for that much remote power. I don't do that work anymore so just carry a 1kW Honda when out in the offroad rig. It's big enough to run lights a fan, smaller tools and chargers. Probably lighter, less expensive and more versatile than what you would need to get it running. 5kW inverter would be awesome though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts