Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!!

I wanted to ask your opinions on what this recent surging noise from the engine of my 2002 Sequoia w/ 102,000 miles (original owner) that I've encountered might be. The trans was replaced out of warranty by Toyota at 75,000 miles with remanufactured one. (Stupid me should have had trans fluid replaced every 30,000k).

Before the following maintenance was performed the noise was NOT there:
I had timing belt replaced w/ new water pump (all OE parts and fluids btw), sparkplugs replaced, fuel filter replaced, transmission fluid replaced including differentials and transfer case, brake fluid replaced, and 2 oxygen sensors replaced w/ CEL cleared.

The work was done by my trusted mechanic Bob just last week. I did an oil change and air filter replacement back in December, about 4,000 miles ago myself.

The noise is most noticeable at low rpms (1-2,000) especially when accelerating and goes away at higher rpms and speed. Cold start or warmed up makes no difference, I can still hear the surging noise.

Before I take it back to Bob can I get some suggestions on what this surging noise may be?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Surging noise? No idea. Can you explain what you mean by surging a little more? Do you mean that it sounds like you're pushing on the throttle? Is it an exhaust sound? Is there a vacuum hose not connected? Did the new tune up bring back horsepower you forgot about??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The surging noise sounds like a loud roaring noise (airplane engine) that is not normal for such a smooth, quiet engine. It's not exhaust. My recent travels through NJ and NY with so much highway construction might actually have clogged up my air filter. It looks dirty for only 4,000 miles. I will do a swap with a new one and see if that helps any with the noise.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Did your mechanic throw on a K&N FIPK kit while he was at it? Do you have a tick associated with the roaring? Did someone cut out your catalytic converter? Is your engine oil up to level? I'm stumped on the roaring...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Big O,

I just wanted to update you that the surging noise has gone away. I want to say that replacing the air filter did it but I also added Gumout Reagane High Mileage to an empty tank and filled up and a quarter tank later the sound goes away. The sound was still there even after replacing the filter.

What do you think was it the air filter swap or Regane that caused the sound to go away or something else?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Excellent!! Glad it went away for you. I was a little perplexed. Easier to hear it live I'm sure.

Not sure what would have caused it? I've never had a dirty air filter cause more sound. One thing I've noticed is that when the engine is cold you'll hear the fan running until it's warmed up which makes it much louder. Also it's easy to not hook all of the clips on the air filter housing, and it could have been creating more noise. I doubt the Gumout had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it could be just the fan but I've never heard such a noise in the past on cold warm ups. I couldn't live with the noise it was that loud and annoying.

Good riddance!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts