Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This part started leaking last night. Noticed a puddle when the truck was sitting.
It looks like some type of line with a rubber boot on each side.
Clearly accessible from underneath.
In the pic, you can see some moisture where the metal line meet the rubber.
In this pic, the leaker is the 2nd line from the left. It has the same hose and fitting on both sides.
Is this line easy to replace?
Thanks for your help guys!
Here is the pic:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Well those hoses go into the steering rack so its a hose for the rack. I think the larger line is always the return line but hopefully someone else can chime in with the exact part number.
It should be easy to replace as long as the flare nut isnt rusted to hell.
Bigger issue is power steering fluid level. Make sure you dont run it dry and fry the pump.
If its a small leak I would try some Lucas power steering stop leak before replacing the hose. Its not snake oil, it really does work, and at $10 bucks, its a cheaper alternative to try first before replacing the line.

Reactions: tundrunk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it spent the first 5 years of it's life in New England. The dealer inspected it a few years ago to see if Toyota would remedy it as part of the rust recall. They said it wasn't bad enough. Not a safety issue.
Funny thing is, I asked the dealer to replace my emergency brake cable because it was sticking. He said he was afraid to do that because it was too rusty. WTF!!!!
Anyway, I put a small hose clamp on it and and put in some power steering fluid/leak sealer and it seems to b ok. No leaks at all right now.
Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Lend273: I'm not really knowledgeable in such matters, and cannot really offer help. I made a fortunate purchase on my 2002 Tundra in 2002 and have suffered no failures since, after 76K miles. I write to say I can email you an Owners Manual if you need one. Cheers, Jack

·
Registered
2005 Tundra, SR5, Access Cab, V6, Automatic, 2WD
26 Posts
I asked the dealer to replace my emergency brake cable because it was sticking. He said he was afraid to do that because it was too rusty. WTF!!!!
I found the bellcranks are what freeze/stick, not the parking brake cables. It appears to be a known problem. Also see toyota tundra bellcrank rust.

If you are in the US, please report the problem to NHTSA. Also see
Report a Safety Problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts