Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have a 2004 Tundra Double Cab with the aluminum alloy wheels....I looked up specs on www.transwheel.com and here's what it claimed

wheel 17 x 7.5
bolt pattern 6 x 139.7 (5.5")
universal, 57mm offset?? (is that offset really correct?)
backspacing ????

so I have a friend who wants to upgrade to 33" and is willing to give me a great deal on his tires and I need to know if they are compatible/will fit

They are BF Goodrich Mud-terrain T/A KM and are 255/75R17

I am currently running the last mm's off my Nokian WR SUV 265/65R17 and getting ready to switch these snows with something for the summer.....so will the BFG's fit???? using a tire comparator here

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

I see they will be 1.4" taller and 0.4" thinner so I don't think clearance and rubbing will be a problem....guess my question is if 255 is too "thin" for the existing rim??? it seems to suggest 255's can fit rims 17x7 to 17 x 9.5.... However, I see on the tire sites all reccomendations lean towards using 265-270+ for my current rims....not going thinner

thanks in advance for your help....need to decide soon as I'm essentially running on Nokian "slicks" :)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hey Pete,

I punched some numbers for you and it looks like these should work for you. You may have some slight rubbing at the front when you turn at full steering wheel lock. The 255/75R17 is approved for your stock wheels. They can be mounted on a wheel that is 6.5-8.5" wide.

-Travis

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Pete,

I punched some numbers for you and it looks like these should work for you. You may have some slight rubbing at the front when you turn at full steering wheel lock. The 255/75R17 is approved for your stock wheels. They can be mounted on a wheel that is 6.5-8.5" wide.

-Travis
Thanks for the information Travis!...yes I used your site for some of my research and so you are saying these BFG won't work on a 9" width wheel??? I saw a few rims on your site that I might like to get but they are all 8.5-9.0" and when I click on the recommended tire option they range from the 265 options up...nothing in the 255 region....also can you confirm the 2004 Tundra Double Cab offset?? I've seen 15 but the previous site I mentioned lists 57mm??

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Yeah, BFG doesn't recommend putting a 255/75R17 on a 9" wide wheel. I'm sure someone has done it but doing so causes a number of issues in the tire, some you can see and some you can't. My guide indicates your stock offset is 18mm. If you want to double check it you can always take one of your wheels off and look at the back of it. The offset should be stamped into it. It is usually located next to the letters "ET".

The newest body Tundra has a 60mm offset. (2007+)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts