Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am planning a stereo system in my truck and I have not done this in sooo long so I need some advice from you... This is what i am looking to install....

Amazon.com: Boston Acoustics GTA-1005 5-channel car amplifier -- 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms: Electronics

Amazon.com: Pioneer TSSW251 Shallow Mount 10 Inch 800 Watts Subwoofer: Electronics

Amazon.com: Pair of Boston S60 6 1/2" 150 Watt Component Speakers with Tweeters, Mid-range, and Crossovers **Free Shipping**: Electronics

Amazon.com: Boston Acoustic S50 5.25" Car Audio Component 2-way Speakers:…

I would like to know if the amp will be strong enough to power all this and if not what 5 channel amp would you recommend. I really love Boston and thats whay i wanna stay with them but If there is some thing better out there. i am all ears....

TIA

Johan

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also what Wiring kit would you recommend?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any help no this?

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
nice choices...for speaker wire i would use Street Wires ZERO noise RCA's, and any kind of mid to top grade speaker wire...power wire just call crutchfield theyll help you out

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The wiring depends on what amp choice/choices you make and where they will be installed. Different classes of amps have different power needs.
If you are going to run a modest 5 channel amp like you mentioned, I would think a main run of 4 gauge wire would be sufficient. Depends too on whether you will want to upgrade in the future, which may require beefier wiring.
You could always just run 0 gauge wiring and forget about it. I originally ran 4 gauge, but ended up having to upgrade to 0 gauge.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys thank you for the info so far. I just ordered the mid's today as well as the sub. I was thinking I am going to build my own box to Boston's specks. Could some one explain to me what the difference would be between porting the box and not porting the box??? Their website seem to indicate you can do both and the specks for the box is a little different. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/PDFs/manuals/G2_Man.pdf

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the pioneer sub to a Boston G310-44 (375 watt RMS)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
hey guys thank you for the info so far. I just ordered the mid's today as well as the sub. I was thinking I am going to build my own box to Boston's specks. Could some one explain to me what the difference would be between porting the box and not porting the box??? Their website seem to indicate you can do both and the specks for the box is a little different. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/PDFs/manuals/G2_Man.pdf
There are some big differences between a ported and sealed enclosure. Depends what what you want from the driver, power, etc.

Here is some light reading to bookmark for future reference. Start with chapter 110 for an explanation of enclosure types.

Basic Car Audio Electronics

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks like a solid setup, those Boston S's sounds pretty good for a budget speaker. I have a Pioneer TS-SW2501 in my '07 as a temporary until my BM MKIII arrives, in 0.5 cu ft. with 600w RMS on tap (gain WAY down) it has plenty of bass and surprised me how low it plays.

For power wire, RCA's, and speaker wire, there is no need to pay tons of money of "high end" stuff. Any quality cable/wire with solid ends is plenty. I'd run 4ga wire and call it good, no need for 0 ga. Check these guys out for wires: Car Audio Wire
They have a HUGE following on diyma.com I used their RCA's and speaker wire in my Tundra install and they're great. Solid components at reasonable prices.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awsome guys... Thank you for your help sofar. One more question though. Caps is not something I used ever but I was wondering what is the differance between 1, 2, 3, and 5 farad caps and what would i NEED?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I wouldn't waste money on a cap. A solid battery and a "big three" upgrade will serve you better.
A cap stores power for short burst needs. If your electrical system isn't up to the task, a cap will put more stress on it.

I don't think you'll be pulling enough amperage that you would need a cap anyway. The 1,2,5 etc, values refer to the amount of energy the capacitor can store, measured in Farads.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks decent. Check out that link I posted, should be able to save some $ there.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so now I am concerned about my amp size. Could you guys give me your thoughts here is what I have paid for and that is going to run off eith amp you guys sugest...

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/S60-P594.aspx (front)
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/S50-P592.aspx (rear)
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/G310-P566.aspx (sub)

and this has to run off either one of these amps... Which would work better?

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/GT-5750-P612.aspx
or
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/GTA-1005-P613.aspx

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I would choose the 5750 over the 1005. The GT5750 will give you more power to your comps. 75 watts per side on the comps isn't a lot, but should be adequate. If you go with this amp, get the dual 4 ohm G3 sub and wire it to 2 ohms to get a little more power to the sub.

Hey, I just noticed your location.......my folks live in Broomfield!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the advice. I was thinking along those lines too... i am getting the G310-44 which is the dual voice coil 4 ohm sub. the 5750 is quite a bit more $$$ but i think at the end of the day i would be happy with it. Just gotta save a little more. LOL

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Have you considered other 5 channel amps, or are you loyal to the Boston brand? Specifically, I was thinking of some class D amps that are built from B&O's ICE Power concept. Like the Alpine PDX and others.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I am loyal to Boston just cos i am familiar with there quality and I read rave reviews on there sound quality and that is what i want most is sound quality over the loudness or rock your eye balls out of your head... I will look into them if youhave any you'd recomend.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Boston is fine. I'm just saying there's lots of options out there at many price points. I'm loyal to a couple amp brands myself. I run two TRU amps and one Lunar amp in my Sequoia, but I have two Alpine PDX's in my shop that I run on a DC power supply. My brother runs two PDX's in his Tahoe and they've been pretty solid performers. The great thing about the ICE power amps is that they draw very little current and are extremely small.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I guess I am loyal to Boston just cos i am familiar with there quality and I read rave reviews on there sound quality and that is what i want most is sound quality over the loudness or rock your eye balls out of your head... I will look into them if youhave any you'd recomend.
I was going to say the same thing. I'm not sure what the actual street price for those armps are, but there are likely to be more cost effective options.

The PDX line is a great setup, I personally went with Kenwood amps, for $400 to my door I have a X4R w/ ~105wx4 @ 4ohm and a XR-1S w/ 600w @ 4ohm. Plus a ton of DSP tuning options with the X4R. A PDX5 or the new Kenwood 5 channel may also fit your need with a lot less space and power requirements.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts